Door Stop Reinforcement Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Stop Reinforcement Plates

Why isnt anybody producing these?! lol it seems like a very easy design to make, couple holes with a basic shape.

I only know of one company that makes them, and they are $30 shipped EACH!

Go on

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Comment

That is not that bad of a price. Figure 12 gauge steel, water jet cut in batches so you have a repeatable design with nice clean, even edges/holes. All that costs $ to produce.

You would be hard pressed to turn out a nice product hand cutting that.
      seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Im not super familiar with machining, but I figured they are marking these up quite a bit

Comment

Take it easy on the steroids and stop slamming the door? hehe...seriously though, I have seen a door crack where the brake attaches and also the weld in the body. I'm guessing people weld it up, live with it or change the door.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
            Im not super familiar with machining, but I figured they are marking these up quite a bit
            Marking up from what? From the cost of the metal? Just assume the metal costs them nothing. The price is because the low volume they'll sell among other things. Sure, if they sold millions each year the price would be less.

That's why you can buy an iphone for $100, but a water-jet'ed bit of metal will cost you $30. Don't they teach economics in school anymore?

But I do agree - $30 might be a bit much. I bet they just don't sell that many. You got to pay to play 5-toes!
            Last edited by george graves; 08-18-2012, 08:13 PM.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I bought those from koala for my dads e34 when the door stop actually ripped through the sheet metal. Had a muffler shop weld it in place and has been perfect ever since. It was well worth the $30 considering the headache the door stop had caused.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                Don't they tech economics in school anymore?
                not in high school ;)
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah my driver door was being bad (on the e34) and today I inspected it to see that it has small rips in the metal :(

You actually had the reinforcement welded to the door? was that before or after you had it bolted on? Did you remove the door?

Also this palce needs to learn how to ship. lol. They want $12 for shipping.. I know you can wrap that in newspaper and send it in a flat rate box for $5.75. I know you have to figure in "handling" but it is not delicate and doesnt need much/any packing materials

Comment

I could have swore someone just posted something on here within the last week about making these.

Comment

Link me!

Comment

Found it:

I may have to get a set, lately every once in a while when I shut my door sounds like the window glass is catching on something, makes a horrid sound.

Comment

Awesome, see there is a hefty mark up

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                            Yeah my driver door was being bad (on the e34) and today I inspected it to see that it has small rips in the metal :(

You actually had the reinforcement welded to the door? was that before or after you had it bolted on? Did you remove the door?

Also this palce needs to learn how to ship. lol. They want $12 for shipping.. I know you can wrap that in newspaper and send it in a flat rate box for $5.75. I know you have to figure in "handling" but it is not delicate and doesnt need much/any packing materials
                            yep, welded it straight to the door. i did bolt it up first of course, but it would get a little loose so we had it welded. no problems since then. i'll try to get a pic tomorrow unless one of my parents feel like going out to the garage and sending me one heh.

oh and you'll probably have to get some bolts that don't require the recess in the metal. the factory ones will stick out on the plate unless you put the plat inside the door..which would be a bitch and make it probably impossible to weld. but with it on the outside of the skin you hardly see it anyways. and if anything just color match paint it and you'd have a hard time seeing it.

here we go:

yea...not pretty welds and i just realized they burnt the door panel a tad. might be able to get that off but anyways...if you have yours welded...learn from our mistake and remove the door panel lol. then get some touch up paint or something and disguise the thing.

ah and you can see what i meant by using a new bolt. the bottom one is a regular hex head and the top one is the oem bolt. sticks out...but you shouldn't need to remove the door for it. it only needs a couple of spot welds. my parents had gone up to the muffler shop for some reason and they asked them about that while i was at work or something and they did it for free...
                            Last edited by jw 325ic; 08-18-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Hmm need to find a good welder in my life! lol but I will figure it out

Comment

Working...
                              X