Turbocharging your car in the 1940's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
    sorry smart guy, didn't realize all of the 18y/o R3V kiddies have seen so many Bugattis and such with superchargers hanging out the front of the car. Here in Europe, unlike in Seattle those cars aren't driven around all day. I'm in my mid 30s and have never seen anything like that before, and thought it was pretty interesting, so EAD.
    What's funny is I thought you were being deliberately obtuse in your original post. Thanks for a cool picture that belongs in this thread.
    sigpic
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
    1989 325is Raged on then sold.
    1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
    1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
    1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
      sorry smart guy, didn't realize all of the 18y/o R3V kiddies have seen so many Bugattis and such with superchargers hanging out the front of the car. Here in Europe, unlike in Seattle those cars aren't driven around all day. I'm in my mid 30s and have never seen anything like that before, and thought it was pretty interesting, so EAD.

TUNA

Comment

What????

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I have no clue what just happened.
          Yours truly,
          Rich
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Rigmaster
          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
            I have no clue what just happened.
            I don't know either? Maybe tuna = tuner?

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

From Wiki;

The turbocharger was invented by Swiss engineer Alfred Büchi (1879-1959), the head of diesel engine research at Gebruder Sulzer engine manufacturing company in Winterhur,[6] who received a patent in 1905 for using a compressor driven by exhaust gasses to force air into a diesel engine to increase power output but it took another 20 years for the idea to come to fruition.[7][8] During World War I French engineer Auguste Rateau fitted turbochargers to Renault engines powering various French fighters with some success.[9] In 1918, General Electric engineer Sanford Alexander Moss attached a turbo to a V12 Liberty aircraft engine. The engine was tested at Pikes Peak in Colorado at 14,000 ft (4,300 m) to demonstrate that it could eliminate the power loss usually experienced in internal combustion engines as a result of reduced air pressure and density at high altitude.[9] General Electric called the system turbosupercharging.[10] At the time, all forced induction devices were known as superchargers, however more recently the term "supercharger" is usually applied to only mechanically-driven forced induction devices.

Comment

Comment

I'm lost... Must be some anime thing.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by frankenbeemer View Post
                    Some more info on Besasie and this turbo from the Milwaukee Journal Dec 17, 1944:

6.5 psi, torque increased from 169 to 200, horsepower increased by 48%. I love the way the turbo sits in the horizontal plane.
                    Tires for 16 dollars and batteries for 8 dollars.... :( never again.

H&R OE Sport Springs - Bilstein HD's - Kosei K1's ET27 - Toyo R888 - ZHP 5spd knob - BavAuto strut bar - DINAN Chip - E30 M3 Offset Bushings - Colgan bra - P-car daily

Comment

Originally posted by VAE30FTW View Post
                      You got to figure the avarage wage was $0.50 maybe? So work 4 days to buy tires and 2 days to buy a battery.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by VAE30FTW View Post
                        That's $201.82 for tires and 100.91 for a battery in today's dollars.
                        1991 318i SOLD
                        2003 325i SOLD

Racecars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by unevolved View Post
                          That's $201.82 for tires and 100.91 for a battery in today's dollars.
                          Could you please convert that to monopoly money? Please and thanks.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X