e30 roof rack kayak/canoe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 roof rack kayak/canoe?

Anyone have any experience? Im curious how people have done it. I'm planning to pick up either a canoe or a kayak and if I can figure out a way to do it without taking the truck (because then I'd probably just take the motorboat) it would really make the trips a lot less expensive.

As far as I know, most roof racks are only good for about 50 lbs, but the vessels I'm looking at would probably be closer to 75, and then the wind on top of that could add too much stress.

Thoughts?
    1987 Delphin 325e Sedan - Natalie
    1990 325i 24v
    1997 Chevrolet K1500 Crew Cab 4x4 - The Centurion

Thule makes carriers specifically designed kayaks for roof racks. Buddy of mine has a rack on his Mazdaspeed 3 and just straps his boats down to it. Two at a time on there strapped down properly has given him no issues in nearly 3 years. I have a rack on mine and often have two bikes up there, while not as heavy still produce pretty serious wind drag. Never had an issue.

In short, you'll be fine.

Like this..
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Yea, I've been looking into them. I'm curious how the roof racks on e30s hold just because our racks dont seem to be quite as sturdy as others I have seen.
      1990 325i 24v

Comment

Cloudbase's E30 with a hanglider...

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

That's full of win. I am also thinking about surf board straps as well.
          1990 325i 24v

Comment

Originally posted by andrewm View Post
            As far as I know, most roof racks are only good for about 50 lbs, but the vessels I'm looking at would probably be closer to 75, and then the wind on top of that could add too much stress.
            ...i thought that was only for the racks on the convertible hardtops.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I've got a Yakima set up with a 10.5 foot kayak, regular raingutter system with hullraiser attachment. Works good, no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                ...i thought that was only for the racks on the convertible hardtops.
                All of the non name brand ones have a limit of about 50 lbs
                1990 325i 24v

Comment

$55, weight rated to 50 kg (110 lbs). It's a Thule Lookalike: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...ht_1736wt_1189

from this thread:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=241198

Comment

My Yakima is rated to ~150 lbs. I carry 2 Mt. bikes up there no problem.
                    :: PNW Crew ::
                    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Most racks for the e30 that I have seen are rated to 150lbs, also most name brands have kyack attachments you can buy so I don't see an issue even the e30 vert racks can hold that much
                      Shawn @ Bimmerbuddies
                      Bimmerbuddies LLC
                      717-388-1256
                      2971a Roundtop Rd, Middletown PA 17057
                      bimmerbuddiesllc@gmail.com

Comment

I will probably order that roof rack then, thanks. EDIT - I did order that roof rack.

Here's what I've done so far, and the canoe I picked up.

Made a hitch that will support the back of the canoe. Worked like a charm even in 20-30mph wind at 65mph last night.
                        Last edited by andrewm; 10-27-2012, 06:46 AM.
                        1990 325i 24v

Comment

Interesting. I've been looking at kayaks lately for me and my fiancé and this would be right up my alley
                          DENY IGNORANCE!
                          Schwarz 325-totaled
                          brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
                          don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Ghetto rigging at its finest

1987 BMW 325ic - Emma

Comment

Originally posted by bowtie2bimmer View Post
                              Ghetto rigging at its finest
                              Some damn fine ghetto rigging. The only place that sold anything like this locally wanted $269 for it. I bought $35 of metal and spent 25 minutes. It I'm sure it would have been a lot worse without it. Just had some surf board straps and some ratchet downs.
                              1990 325i 24v

Comment

Working...
                              X