A3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A3

Just drove a couple of A3's, the 2.0T (200hp/207tq from 1800rpm) and the 3.2 VR6 (250hp/240ish tq). I have to say, everything I've heard about that little direct-injection 2.0 turbo is true - it's so flexible and lively, and it was just a kick to drive with the DSG paddles. The 3.2, though clearly faster on paper, didn't feel like as much fun - not as sprightly, the car felt heavier, it just wasn't prancing down the road kicking its heels like the little 2.0. Handling balance was lovely and, as expected, the chassis was much more refined and quiet than, say, my E30 with the cup kit :). No torque steer, nice engine note, typical Audi nice interior materials. Too expensive though at close to $30K with all the cool stuff, and no Quattro available yet, but still...oh, and the new GTI uses the exact same drivetrain, DSG and all, and should be a little lighter as it's only a 3-door. Would I be able to overlook front-drive and legendary VW/Audi reliability issues...? Ah, who knows.
    Chris

The Hunt: Part IV is over.

sigpic

You forgot the most important things.

The A3 is ugly.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Yeah that FSI is supposed to rock!.
      Derived from formula 1 tech.
      They need to bring over the A2.
      E30 325ix 62k

Comment

We have a 2001 A3 1.8T and I love it. good milage, nice ergonomics all in all a nice little car.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Id rock an a3 over a wrx wagon anyday of the week. That is once te quattro model is available.
          Back to my roots

Comment

i like the a3, but sti..

Comment

Notice I said WRX wagon, not an STI. Thats an unfair comparison.
              Back to my roots

Comment

There's been an S3 roaming around La Jolla for just over a year now. Its so beautiful, I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

The A3 is ugly.
                  Different strokes. I think its a cool looking car.

Jeremy, your sig is gay.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The A3 is ugly.
                    Beautiy is in the eye of the beholder.
                    91 m3

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                      Different strokes. I think its a cool looking car.

Jeremy, your sig is gay.
                      I figured I'd get that type of response, its only up there because Matt wouldn't let me include nudity in a sig I made.

Comment

I am sure it would be great as a daily, it looks good but not great to me. Too heavy and not nearly as involved enough of a car, we have a mk4 GTI and it feels really disconnected. Also with the heavy front end it takes a lot to make them a balanced car, always wanting to push.

Comment

New chassis I think over the Mk4. I didn't get to drive it too much, but it seemed pretty balanced for fwd, though i wish it had Quattro (not yet on the 2.0). I drove one with the sport package, took a right turn at a light at 25 or so and floored it halfway through just to see - didn't push nearly as much as I thought it would. The new GTI, same chassis/drivetrain, is being praised around the world for being so much different than the mk4 "back to the GTI roots" type of thing. Now i'm not thrilled with the looks of that one, but...

...the A3? Ugly?

Seriously?
                          Chris

The Hunt: Part IV is over.

sigpic

Comment

its an over priced front wheel drive--- golf! garbage in my eyes. so many nicer cars for that money. a few years ago, here in bavaria, where i live, audi became a big fad, all the germans were selling everything to get an audi, and i had people actually tell me I was "out" os style, driving my wifes brand new at the time E46 touring. cant say i see nearly as many old audis on the road here in germany as i do BMWs. so to me- i wouldnt own one if it was given to me.

Comment

The A3 is ugly.
                              true, true.

Comment

Working...
                              X