E30 Aerodynamics request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Aerodynamics request

So we all know that the misty spray behind a car when it is travelling on wet roads can reveal a lot about the pocket of low pressure at the rear of the car. It's been raining a lot and here and that got me really curious as to the difference in this mist pattern between the mist from behind an E30 without a spoiler and from behind an E30 with the is spoiler (or other spoiler). Maybe someone can snap a picture or two and post them up here for a comparison. This might reveal through a little more of the effects of spoilers on E30s without getting into a windtunnel. Just food for thought....

If you are a wind player and you aren't a woodwind, you are just being a brasshole...

I will get right on that
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

lol its not a huge difference. probably very little if that

Patrick - IG:niicknac
      RIP 1987 BMW 325is - S50'd ZF 6-speed, flared, bagged

Comment

I think the IS spoiler adds like 100lbs of downforce at 60mph. But you have so much drag that you can't accelerate much faster than a Prius.

Totally serious. ;-)

Comment

I know these changes are probably extremely minor and may not be perceptible at all, but it has to change the aerodynamics in some way. Even "No Change" is a significant discovery. I've seen threads talking about the aerodynamics but I've never seen any visual tests. It's a far-fetched request but might be worth a shot, just for discussion sake. It's forecasted to rain a lot more around here in the upcoming days. I'll see what I can to get a pic with my spoiler. That'll be fun, using ye 'olde Hyundai Azera as a chase car.

If you are a wind player and you aren't a woodwind, you are just being a brasshole...

Comment

you should also try to match speed in a straight line and amount of water on the road/rain intensity for a good test. so take a picture of the rain coming down and take a picture of the road surfaace to go with the picture of the spray pattern for compairison.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

simple thought would be have a car with and a car without spoiler follow each other a few hundred yards apart and take pics/video. rules out variables on temp/wind/water.

i doubt it is that much of a difference. likely to have more spray difference due to tire tread/size, ride height, mudflaps, bumper design, etc than spoiler/no spoiler.
              1988 325 "super ETA" - Hilde - M52B28 swapped...
              1969 2002 - Griselda - 20VT AWP swap and full resto in progress...

sigpic

project blog - http://www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical 1 View Post
                simple thought would be have a car with and a car without spoiler follow each other a few hundred yards apart and take pics/video. rules out variables on temp/wind/water.

i doubt it is that much of a difference. likely to have more spray difference due to tire tread/size, ride height, mudflaps, bumper design, etc than spoiler/no spoiler.
                These where my exact thoughts. From a science stand point. It would be best to take a single car and test all the spoilers on the car on a closed course with a measurable amount of moisture on the road.

Not related to the spoilers but still interesting.

Comment

Lol and you need 2 guys to get into the car because.......
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
                  Instagram.com/garageaholic
                  Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

I dont even think air hits the spoiler, look at all the turbulence on the roof of a dirty E30.

Comment

Pee out the sunroof on a dry day. Prior to this research you need to take a vitamin B complex pill so the pee will be sure to stand out. Take pictures. Publish findings. Award.

Comment

Upon further research, the e30 does indeed resemble a brick.
                        sigpic

Comment

Go out to a race track on a rainy race weekend when a E30 group is running and find who has a spoiler on who does not and watch them go down the straight.

Comment

Definitely some interesting ideas here. If i was looking for downforce on an e30 without putting a big ass wing on I'd go for a flat under tray and rear diffuser
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=267166
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=380488

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSax View Post
                              I know these changes are probably extremely minor and may not be perceptible at all, but it has to change the aerodynamics in some way. Even "No Change" is a significant discovery. I've seen threads talking about the aerodynamics but I've never seen any visual tests. It's a far-fetched request but might be worth a shot, just for discussion sake. It's forecasted to rain a lot more around here in the upcoming days. I'll see what I can to get a pic with my spoiler. That'll be fun, using ye 'olde Hyundai Azera as a chase car.
                              When BMW tested the iS spoiler, they found a 2% reduction in turbulence at the rear. I cannot source that, as I merely read it somewhere and it may be completely made up.
                              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                              X