Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for guys using two or more child seats in an E30 sedan..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for guys using two or more child seats in an E30 sedan..

is it possible to fit two side-by-side? i.e., a rear-facing infant seat in the middle and a forward-facing toddler seat right next to it?

i *am* able to do this in an E36 sedan, wasn't sure about an E30 sedan, which is obviously smaller. the question is, how much smaller? (insofar as rear interior passenger room)

thanks!

E46t

I have no personal experience, but some months ago I saw an E30 convertible with two child seats in the back, though it escapes me as to their forward or rear orientation. The kids I saw walking away from it were about 3-5 years old.

Comment

I did/do this in a two door.
      I can't remember the exact orientation, but think I had the rear facing closest to the window (against better judgement), the forward facing in the middle, and my passenger had to have the seat pulled up a bit. Luckily she's short.
      I have since switched my kids to forward facing, and they are in the middle and passenger rear spots. (I'm tall.) They love it.
      Slicktop City!

Comment

I do all the time in both an e36 and e30. The rear facing will only fit in the center spot for me, the other one next to it.
        I find the e30 easier to work with since the seats are flat all the way, the e36 bends upwards at the sides.
        Also getting the rear facing seat is way easier on the e30, the e36 seats dont tilt as much.

J

Comment

I suggest condom use.

Comment

yes I've done it lots. they fit with plenty of room. but I put the rear facing on the passenger side and move the seat forward.

Of course, that doesn't last too long. At some point they get really pissed off about being rear facing. We switched both of our kids around at about 1 year.

can't wait until they can ride up front though.

At first I was worried about not having anchors, but actually, once I figured out how to use the seat belt mount correctly, I much prefer it to the anchors. It's actually much easier to attach securely vs the anchors that always seem to bind up no matter how hard you pull. My wife can't even tighten the anchor style all the way, which is dangerous if I'm not there to do it for her.

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
            I suggest condom use.
            my first born is proof that contraception is only 99.999% effective. :p
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You need an E30 touring.

L

PS Congrats!
              sigpic
              New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
              %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                I suggest condom use.
                Correct answer here, or lots of Mt. Dew.

I have an M3 rear seat, so not putting it in the center, and Recaro LS-Bs on Massive mounts. Rear facing car seat (Britax B-Safe) fits but no one is riding in the passenger seat.

Really the little guy has only been in my car 3 time in his first 9 months. Can't wait till he can get into a forward facing seat.
                John

Comment

I don't think you can put three across and I don't think you can use the middle position with another car seat. Two outboards, only, IIRC.
                  I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by markseven View Post
                    I don't think you can use the middle position with another car seat. Two outboards, only, IIRC.
                    then i guess ldsbeaker, slippery, nando, and everyone else who responded in the affirmative before you are mistaken ;)

Originally posted by ZM Blue Devil View Post
                    You need an E30 touring.

L

PS Congrats!
                    thanks! and yes, i definitely do :)

E46t

Comment

no, I didn't fully comprehend your original question. I don't have one in the center. it's way too narrow. actually, pretty much any car is too narrow to have one in the middle and one on the side. the only cars that can get away with that are basically Vans and SUVs.

they have to go on either side. I was saying, I fit two in the back without any problems.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        I don't have one in the center. it's way too narrow. actually, pretty much any car is too narrow to have one in the middle and one on the side. the only cars that can get away with that are basically Vans and SUVs.
                        i get away with this in my E36, fwiw. no issues. trying to determine if it could also be done in an E30 (sedan -- in case it makes any difference).

E46t

Comment

I only got the rearward facing in the middle of the back seat. It worked great in the coupe...never in the cabrio until forward facing. It did touch the fronts a bit but im not 6' tall.

COTM

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
                            i get away with this in my E36, fwiw. no issues. trying to determine if it could also be done in an E30 (sedan -- in case it makes any difference).
                            I don't really see how. My subaru is like 2 feet longer and 1 foot wider than the E30, and you can't fit them side by side in there. The E36 is basically the same size as an E30.. maybe a tiny bit more rear room, but not *that* much!
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              The E36 is basically the same size as an E30.. maybe a tiny bit more rear room, but not *that* much!
                              okay, perhaps this was the question i should have asked instead -- i.e., "how much more rear room does an E36 have than an E30?" after all, no two child seats are created equal -- some have wider footprints than others. so there are a couple of different variables at play here.

it sounds like i'll probably be okay squeezing two in side-by-side in an E30 :)

E46t

Comment

Working...
                              X