No announcement yet.

Reminiscing: Stupid Things you did to/with your Car when You were Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm. Drove my sister's 1990 dodge stratus to 115.... that thing was scary. Proceeded to get pulled over 10 minutes later. Luckily only for a taillight out. Less than 3 months after I had my license.

Also... my first e30, my first week having it on the road I popped a curb and decided that since the only thing bent was my wheel that it would be a good idea to start it back up to move it off the curb and down the road until I could get a tow. Remember kids, check your oil pan. I seized up the m42 after about a mile of driving. No oil = no bueno. This was me at 16 and not knowing nearly as much as I do about these cars. I then went to rebuild the motor instead of just buying a cheap $400 one. Least it was good experience.
    sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
    Build Thread:
    Current ongoing build. Check it out!
    1991 318is 4dr rallycross
    Rallycross Build Thread.
    1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Friend and I are 15.
      His dad is sort of well off and liberal about things. Purchased and rebuilt, though not restored, 2 AE86's and one of them was Japanese spec; Buckets, proper suspension, tires, whatnot. They were very nice.

He used to let us both take the cars individually around town, canyon, beach and play.

One night we decide to hit the regular canyon that we are familiar with pretty thoroughly. It's pitch black there so headlights are everything.

Before a good sharp turn, I miss a 3rd to 2nd gear down-shift and end up coasting the car in neutral thru the turn relatively fast because I just couldn't coordinate the gear change properly or something. I end up putting it in gear WHILE IN THE TURN with my revs low... Besides the car being upset with the transmission shock(which I didn't ever think of till I got older), it didn't help that there was sand on the road from the canyons shoulder either. I've always blamed it on sand, but being wiser now I'm pretty sure it was the stupid gear change.
      So, I spun the tail around and kissed the canyon guardrail with a fantastic car that I didn't own, was driving irresponsibly with, and ultimately trusted with in my hands since his father was very fond of me.

I felt like absolute dog shit. Minor quarter panel damage and a broken tail-light.
      I remember my left leg was trembling at ever stop light releasing the clutch on the way home.

I had no way of paying for the damage and telling my father about it to at least compensate for my stupidity because it would of put me in an ass-load of trouble since I'm not suppose to be driving SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR alone or without a 25 year old passenger(CA Driving permit rules) let alone like an idiot.

My friend's father forgave me and did the whole "kids are kids, things happen" type of thing with me. Fuck I still feel like shit and the whole ordeal lingers in the back of my head when I see him.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Also... "sticker bombed" my is lip when I first got the car....

Also pictured. Cut my euro trim up because state inspection required me to have those sidemarkers.... this was before I knew what euro trim was. *sigh*

sigpic

1989 Alpine 325is 2dr m50 swapped
        Build Thread:
        Current ongoing build. Check it out!
        1991 318is 4dr rallycross
        Rallycross Build Thread.
        1991 Alpine 318is coupe - sold

Comment

Hmm..might as well add. I was being stupid trying to impress a girl by sliding a corner when it was wet, but entered too slow in second and didnt have enough torque to break the rear end loose fast enough. I slid too late into the corner and ended up spinning completely around. So much for that one.

Another time me and a friend are messing around in a neighborhood and I try to lose him by suddenly turning onto a street so he couldn't make the turn in time. Well I entered a sharp 90 degree turn at probably 50+ and stopped fairly quickly when I completely turned around.
          The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
          Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
          2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Drove my first e30 into the back of a MUNI buss in SF CA while fucking around with a Porsche on Sunset Blvd. Yeah that was a great idea champ! What a dumb ass. Still miss that car. Think it was 2007ish
            sigpic
            "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

haven't read a single post in this thread - but will post this:

It's ok. I think it's healthy to laugh.. as it should be healthy to laugh at oneself.. shit, that front end is hysterical to me..
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
                Neons on the e28 when I was 17. I thought making the kidneys glow red would be badass in my bone stock 535i/A.
                Originally posted by e30construction View Post
                Ive got a couple stories lol

painted my rims while they were on the car..fucked my caliper and pads and rotor up
                Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                I once put under car neon's on my SVT Focus when I first bought. This was about 9 years ago. Took me about a week to realize the error of my ways. Yea, I actually did that :drink:
                Originally posted by shEck3lls0 View Post
                Also... "sticker bombed" my is lip when I first got the car....

Also pictured. Cut my euro trim up because state inspection required me to have those sidemarkers.... this was before I knew what euro trim was. *sigh*

Originally posted by Simon S View Post

It's ok. I think it's healthy to laugh.. as it should be healthy to laugh at oneself.. shit, that front end is hysterical to me..

More Gems like this! Great stuff guys.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon S View Post

There must be something wrong with me because I don't even think this is that bad lol I'd totally rock it!
                  -Alex

Comment

Took the e28 camping at Douthat near Clifton Forge Va. Most desolate stretch of Interstate 64 before hitting West Va. Stoner Sam and I were in the e28, and two of our friends were in my friend's P/U truck with all the gear/coolers, etc.

Passenger in the truck reached out the back window to get a drink from a cooler. We were steady cruising at about 75. Sam says to me, hey, I want a drink. I said okay.

We signaled to my friend in the truck to toss one into the sunroof of the e28.

Miss.

Try again.

Miss.

Fuck.....let's try something else.

So I bring the e28 up alongside the truck. Sam sits on the window seal. Passenger friend in the truck climbs out through the rear window into the bed. At 75 mph we get the vehicles as close to each other as possible and pass one drink across for Sam.

Shit.

I wanted one too.

Do it all again. It was fucking nerve racking. 75mph, 6 inches space side by side to a truck, with your best friend hanging out the window.

Same trip, but on the way home we decide to top speed run the e28. Got 'er to 125 and noticed a tractor trailer braking up a hill. Odd. Got down to about 90, zoomed past a "Authorized Vehicles Only" crossing and there sits a cop. FUCK. Slammed the car off at the nearest exit ramp and blasted down back roads outside of Lexington. No idea where we were going, but we were going there. Got lost for the rest of the afternoon, but finally made our way into downtown Lexington and back on course for home...doing 60 the whole way. Fucking nerved were rattled like hell. Never did see the blue lights though.
                    1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

When I had a C6 Vette I took on a GSXR1000 on the highway, kept up with him until he split two cars. Forgot I was in a car, was about to attempt the split then realized I WAS IN A CAR braked hard fishtailed at about 90ish mph. Scared the living shit out of me, never raced a bike ever again.

When I was 18, in the same car before the bike racing, I raced a STi that seemed to be all decked out for performance, not a stance type car. Got me on the launch but blew right past him afterwards going roughly 110 on a clear straightway through a greenlight. Little did I know I blew right past a policeman too. Lit me up and caught me racing with a broken right hand LOL I told him I was stuck in gear and couldn't shift LOLOLOL. Didnt buy it but cut me some slack and wrote me up for 80+ mph with a $450 fine vs 100+ mph which wouldve been automatic license suspension and/or revoke plus a $600 fine plus the car would be impounded.

Had a '69 and '70 beetle. In the '70 beetle I was joking around with a buddy in high school at a red light, I rev'd the shit out of the car pretending to want to race (buddy had a srt4 all spiffy'd up). Flooded the engine. Again like a few months later, i was late for school so I floored it in the '70 on the freeway, flooded it again and blew the motor on the freeway.

In my parents 99 toyota avalon, many a times Ive accidentally driven over those curbs some parking lots have between lanes.
                      SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                      IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                      BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

One more, I was suppose to meet up with a buddy of mine to go bowling but when I arrived I see him all fluster and angry. I go see whats up and he says he locked his keys in his car. I look in from the driver side and see the keys in the driver seat and the driver door wont budge. It was near midnight and my insurance wouldn't do it because of course it wasnt my car but thought Id give it a chance, my buddy couldnt call his insurance because his card was inside the car. So there we were, calling to get quotes on locksmiths, mind you the emergency 24 hour locksmiths charge a shitload and we didnt have that much money on us. Soooo we tried our best, I found a chain link fence near buy with loose chains, pryed one loose and tried to creep it in but to no avail.

We called a buddy of ours who knew a guy with a jimmy lol waited about an hour when he came. Worked the door for another hour scratching up the paint and ruining the window rubber. All the meanwhile, THE ENTIRE TIME WE WERE TRYING TO BREAK INTO MY FRIENDS CAR.....A COP WAS ACROSS THE STREET WATCHING LOLOLOL. We managed to get the door open and BOOM LIGHTS LOL. We were being questioned on the curb and my friend was telling them it was his car and that the insurance card is in the glove box.

Cop walks over to passenger side and opens the door, looks at us and just laughs. Damn door was unlocked the entire time.
                        SO MUCH MORE TO DO!!
                        IG: ohthejosh

LEGIT CHECK ME BRUH
                        BUYER FEEDBACK THREAD

Comment

my first car was an 85 cutlass, and i had gold and chrome wire wheels on it. if i hit to big of a bump the right side would rub the fender so i duct taped a socket to the a arm to keep it from bottoming out :loco:

Comment

My buddies and I were camping in Marysville, Ca in the middle of nowhere. This was around 2001 or 02. On the second day around noon, 4 of us jumped in my buddy's dark blue crown vic (with the police package), threw on our aviators, and drove into town to get firewood.

We each had a thomas kemper root beer in hand (the kind in the brown glass bottle) and were feelin' good.

Keep in mind about an hour before that, we ate some shrooms with breakfast (not my buddy Ben who was driving), so just as we were hitting the road, they started working.
                            (hehehehehehehehe)

We passed a motorcycle cop posted on the other side of the road just as my buddy Ben was taking a sip of his root beer. Well mr. policeman saw that and took off after us.

I know what you're thinking - and yes, the rest is almost like that scene from super troopers, almost.

At this point, my buddy and I were in the back seat clenching each other for our lives saying 'ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit. ...'
                            Cop walks up to Ben's window, and Ben is just sitting there casual as ever still holding his root beer chest level with absolutely no idea why we got pulled over.
                            "How's it going officer?"
                            "What in the hell are you doing?" pointing at the bottle with two fingers.
                            ohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshitohshit
                            "Oh. Dude this is root beer!" and I swear at that moment totally in sync, we all 4 of us hold our root beers up and nod to the cop.
                            He gives us all the silent stank eye for a very uncomfortable 10 seconds (what seemed like 20 minutes to me)..
                            "Get the hell outta here. And enjoy your damn root beer"

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

and as we took off, we proceeded to go completely insane laughing.
                            Make the bastard chase you.

Comment

I put a giant hood scoop on my '67 dart..

cut a big hole in the hood to do it. it looked like ass and served no purpose. stupid, stupid, stupid.

I also put this in there:

it was basically a truck motor. I probably spent more on the valve covers and other bullshit than important things, like say a cam, or tuning. Never tuned the carb. Left the original brakes (DRUMS on all 4 corners, NO power assist!! It was like having ABS, you couldn't lock them up!). 13" wheels with something like 175/85R-13 tires ($20 a peice!). I had the 7 1/4" diff which everyone told me would break, but it never did. Never replaced the shocks. I did at least upgrade the front torsion bars, but the rear suspension was completely original. Needless to say, the handling was not good. I don't think I even replaced the brake shoes. :|

Took it on a road trip to go to a concert with 4 friends piled in the car.. cruised along at 90mph+ most of the way. On a slight curve we hit a bump and the car jumped over a full lane. Holy ****.

I probably dumped $4,000 on the stupid motor. The original 6-cylinder was actually great but I was an idiot. even only running on 4 cylinders it could break the tires loose with ease - so much torque! all it needed was new points (or an eletronic ignition upgrade, which were dirt cheap) and it would have been good as new. I could have spent the rest on paint, wheels, and maintenance and had a really nice car. ugh. Oh, and because it was a V8 and I never tuned it, it got like 8mpg.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
                                good story
                                that cop was just pissed because he thought he was gonna have something to do for an hour. do you know how much nothing there is going on around Yuba City/Marysville? a fuckin' lot.

and simon, you could have put the spray can down before the bumper trim and the plate surround, but otherwise i don't really have a problem with that either.
                                past:
                                1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                                1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                                1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                                1985 323i baur
                                current:
                                1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Working...
                                X