How did you get into E30's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you get into E30's?

For me, when I was younger my dad showed me picture of his '81 320i E21 and then his '85 325e that he owned next. Both these cars he owned during the '80s. After seeing both I knew right then and there I wanted a vintage BMW when I was older. Fast forward to last year when I was 18, I decided it was time. As much as I loved e21's, I knew the e30 was the car for me. Bought a '84 alpine white 325e which I owned for 8 months before deciding it was not quite what I wanted. Using it as credit towards a new one, I traded it towards an alpine white '91 318i with a M42 and couldn't be happier. Absolutely love the car and have a lot planned for it. My dad and I both share a love for them and continue to do work on it together.

Just thought I'd share my story and thought it would be cool to hear how others found their love for e30's

His E21 back in the day:

Him and his friend in 1984, who owned an tricked out '84 318i when it was brand new
    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
    '91 Alpine 318i (Gone) Click Here
    '92 Alpine 325i Cabrio (Gone) Click Here
    '91 Alpine 318is

I have a similar story. My uncle bought a 320i in 82 and it was the nicest car in the entire family, that was until my mom bought her 325e in 85 =]. The E30 blew the E21 out of the water. The M20B27 when new was silky smooth, you couldn't hear it and the torque was awesome. E30's were really nice cars back then compared to what was out in the 80's.

When I was looking at cars in 91, I was going to pick up a Jetta GLI or Nissan Sentra SE-R but I really wanted an E30 and I was already familiar with them. After looking around, I ended up buying my mom's car from her and the rest is history.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 02-22-2013, 01:07 AM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Made friends with my best mate in high school, who when we were at his house one day showed me his dads car...

His dad is a pretty big bmw guy, and ended up buying my mate a e30 for his first car too. So it was pretty much all downhill from there for me after hanging around with both of them for not too long.
      sigpic
      Delphin '87 325i Vert

Comment

Growing up, I always admired the shape/timeless body lines and I made a promise to myself that one day, I will get me one. Here I am today. :)

Comment

I was already a bimmer nut when I got in to e30's, but never gave e30's a thought. I've always loved "vintage roadsters" for lack of better term, but pretty much one's that I could never afford, like 50/60's Maserati's and Ferrari's, orignal sl, 507. Cars like those. So years ago, when I was driving an e46, I decided to look into " a vintage BMW convertible" that I could afford. Took a look at some e30's online and decided to get one. First time driving one or really seeing one up close was when the truck drop my first vert off from Florida. Been in love with the e30 ever since. Currently on my third and hopefully final e30. In hindsight the e30 has made me realize that even I could afford one of those $200k Ferrari's or Maserati's I probably still wouldn't by one. As gorgeous as they are, they're not for me. The e30 is a luxury, modifying these actually adds value. Same can't be said for those 50's roadsters. I would also be a little scared to actually drive one anywhere. I drive my e30, hard sometimes, almost daily in summer! The closest I'd ever get to one of those 50's roadsters a Cobra replica. Been tossing around the idea for a few years. Its perfect, I can drive it hard, put any v8 of my choosing and they're cheap. Just can't pull the trigger tho, Love the e30 too much!
          Last edited by CrusherCurtis; 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM.
          I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
          Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Ya my dad told me how underpowered his m10 felt at times lol. I agree, my eta had great torque, yet idle smooth and quiet. Do love the m42 better now :)

That m3 is super clean. That would be a deal maker as far as wanting an e30.

And yes I agree. The simplicity and look of e30's is what caught my eye
            '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
            '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

I was searching for something european, manual, rear-wheel-drive, bucket seats, and somewhat sporty at an initial purchase price of ~$4-5K.

Starting looking at 944 cars - then was totally sidetracked by a red m42 car..
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

The M3 at that time was in a league of it's own. They had just came out and were super expensive compared to say an early model E30.
                "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by CrusherCurtis View Post
                  I was already a bimmer nut when I got in to e30's, but never gave e30's a thought. I've always loved "vintage roadsters" for lack of better term, but pretty much one's that I could never afford, like 50/60's Maserati's and Ferrari's, orignal sl, 507. Cars like those. So years ago, when I was driving an e46, I decided to look into " a vintage BMW convertible" that I could afford. Took a look at some e30's online and decided to get one. First time driving one or really seeing one up close was when the truck drop my first vert off from Florida. Been in love with the e30 ever since. Currently on my third and hopefully final e30. In hindsight the e30 has made me realize that even I could afford one of those $200k Ferrari's or Maserati's I probably still wouldn't by one. As gorgeous as they are, they're not for me. The e30 is a luxury, modifying these actually adds value. Same can't be said for those 50's roadsters. I would also be a little scared to actually drive one anywhere. I drive my e30, hard sometimes, almost daily in summer! The closest I'd ever get to one of those 50's roadsters a Cobra replica. Been tossing around the idea for a few years. Its perfect, I can drive it hard, put any v8 of my choosing and they're cheap. Just can't pull the trigger tho, Love the e30 too much!
                  It's such a versatile car that its perfect for a lot of things. I love those classic euro and also am an American muscle/classic fan. Always wanted a 1955 Chevy Nomad wagon. Then again, if I could ever afford one, I couldn't have as much fun with it as I do with my e30
                  '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                  '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                    The M3 at that time was in a league of it's own. They had just came out and were super expensive compared to say an early model E30.
                    Always wanted to drive an E30 M3. There are two zinno ones in my town. One is DD that I see almost everyday. I drool every time I drive by it
                    '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                    '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Going on family vacations to Lebanon since I was a pre-teen, I would see them everywhere. They were noticeably the "tuner car" over there including 2002's and e21's. I thought it would be so cool to have one back in the states because I've never seen (or noticed) them. Mind you I'm only a kid.
                      After a while, through high school, I was distracted with the want of an e36 M the more I learned/researched about them. When taking another trip to Lebanon in 2006, after not visiting for roughly 4 years, it solidified that I wanted an e30.. so after some patience I got one.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                        Going on family vacations to Lebanon since I was a pre-teen, I would see them everywhere. They were noticeably the "tuner car" over there including 2002's and e21's. I thought it would be so cool to have one back in the states because I've never seen (or noticed) them. Mind you I'm only a kid.
                        After a while, through high school, I was distracted with the want of an e36 M the more I learned/researched about them. When taking another trip to Lebanon in 2006, after not visiting for roughly 4 years, it solidified that I wanted an e30.. so after some patience I got one.
                        I've seen some interesting E30 tuners come out of Lebanon. Some good..and some not so much
                        '84 Alpine 325e (Gone)
                        '91 Alpine 318is

Comment

Originally posted by shameson View Post
                          It's such a versatile car that its perfect for a lot of things. I love those classic euro and also am an American muscle/classic fan. Always wanted a 1955 Chevy Nomad wagon. Then again, if I could ever afford one, I couldn't have as much fun with it as I do with my e30
                          I don't know man, I resto-modded nomad is probably tall fun. You could definitely own a nomad in addition to an e30 and have both.

Edit: just looked them, had no idea they cost that much!
                          This one's awesome tho:
                          I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
                          Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Comment

Had two s13's and a few other cars few years back. Wanted back into a rwd 5speed car. So I picked up a 84 318i 5speed for $300. had no idea what I had or was about to get into. Just about 4 years later im on e30 #5. Its only getting better for me :D

84 318i> 87 325e> 87 325i vert> 86 327i> and 3 days ago pick a 89 325i

Comment

grew up around mark from ground controls house, was dead set on wanting a first generation mr2 because they had one and it is a mountain road killer, then they started getting into e30's and i immediately fell in love with the cars they had up there.
                              but i was easily influenced because my family is not into motorsports what so ever, and when i headed up there every summer, everything had an engine and tires, it sorta brainwashed me in a way LOL.

funny enough, when my uncle first saw my e21 he told me he had a similar bmw, but when napa flooded he sold it to some guy because he didnt want to deal with the flood damage, him and my mom were dead set it was not an e21 or e30, later in life (more recently) i was sifting through family albums, and saw a safari beige e21, i asked my mom whos is that? and she said it was my uncles lol! i told her its the same model i own and she still doesnt think it is.. all she would say is "noooo nooo no, his was much larger than yours"

Comment

Working...
                              X