Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving on from my E30 to an E24

E30 brothers-

Hello. After much heartache and debate with myself, I have decided to move on from my 1989 325iX to a 1989 635CSi/5. After getting my car inspected last month and fixing both the rear diff seal and oil housing filter to stop leaking fluids, a slow leak is starting in the right corner of my head gasket and after putting $5,600 in my car since July 2011, I feel it is time to move on.

I found a very clean and well sorted 1989 635CSi/5 that is turn car and would require nothing in the long term as I am still trying to get my DIY skills updated.

The person I am buying it from wants my E30, plus $5,000 for his car. My car other than the HG is showing its age with a cracked dash, rust under the rear bumper, and inside the doors if you look hard enough.

I believe I am not making a mistake. I know in my heart it is the right thing to do and to start a new chapter in BMW ownership. Acquiring the E24 will also mean for me to move on from my well sorted and cared for 1991 535i/5 in the near feature and just focus my attention on the Shark.

Any E30 owners that own E24's as well or have owned them?

Drew

Is it a manual e24? If so then it's a great trade except he wants to much on the top for your car
    88 325is Five Speed
    Lachssilber

Comment

Paging Kronus

He's got a euro e24 and loves it; it's big and heavy, but they are sweet cars. I wouldn't mind owning one, especially since you had an iX

Comment

I agree, the seller probably wants too much on top for your car. It sounds like you've done a lot to your car, and sorted ix's aren't cheap. I know you have some rust/hg issues, but if everything else is sound then it might be worth more than you think. It better be one baller e24.
        88 325is - S52 powered

Originally posted by King Arthur
        We'll not risk another frontal assault, that rabbit's dynamite!

Comment

e24's are awesome. it sounds like the value of this guy's example is 12-14k? that sounds awful high to me. for around 14-16k you can get an m6.
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

probly wont get much love here
            sigpic
            93 325i 120k
            mods: straight pipe,eibach sport springs,style 54s,kamotors carbonfiber cai,
            future mods: chip, m3 cams, headers, turbo

Comment

The E24 owner has gone over the car completely. Re-freshed the suspension, very proper 5 speed swap, re-did the head on the M30 and other bits and pieces like radiator, all new hoses, fluids, brakes, rotors, HVAC work, very clean. Solid 8 all the way around. Probably has $11,000 plus his own time in the car. No rust or dash cracks, sorted and very sharp, sitting on Style 42's. Not sure I could find that car that sorted for $8,000 otherwise.

Not a fan of the M6, prefer the M30 power-plant.

Comment

Originally posted by JinormusJ View Post
                Paging Kronus
                kronus here

There's a few of us here who know a bunch about e24s. An 89 should have the latest M30 and Motronic, as well as the surprisingly-not-very-hideous world bumpers, and manual ones are pretty rare, so you've found a pretty nice car. I can probably answer most car-specific questions you have about it.

They're heavier than e30s, not as throwable, but it's a GT coupe so that's to be expected.

$5K on top of an iX sedan is questionable - does your 4wd work well? Is it manual? The target prices for sorted '89 e24s hover between 4 and 8 thousand, FWIW.
                cars beep boop

Comment

This is relevant to my interests. I've been thinking about picking up an e24 for a summer daily
                  sigpic

Comment

Ah wait, is this PorscheDude's car? this one?

If so, his asking price is fair. He has done quality work and you can see that he's a proper enthusiast.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                      kronus here

There's a few of us here who know a bunch about e24s. An 89 should have the latest M30 and Motronic, as well as the surprisingly-not-very-hideous world bumpers, and manual ones are pretty rare, so you've found a pretty nice car. I can probably answer most car-specific questions you have about it.

They're heavier than e30s, not as throwable, but it's a GT coupe so that's to be expected.

$5K on top of an iX sedan is questionable - does your 4wd work well? Is it manual? The target prices for sorted '89 e24s hover between 4 and 8 thousand, FWIW.
                      Kronos-

New T-case 6 years and 24,000 miles ago. Works very well, but the HG is an issue and needs to be addressed and with the rust of an E30 and being an automatic, not sure I want to drop another $1,000 plus in a car I have $5,500 in since 7/2011 and $12,000 since 5/2006. Love the car, but might be time to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                        Ah wait, is this PorscheDude's car? this one?

If so, his asking price is fair. He has done quality work and you can see that he's a proper enthusiast.
                        Yes, it is Pat's car.

Comment

theirs a nice m6 around my neighborhood for 3,500 and the regular 630 and 635i I always seen them go on my craigslist for 2500 to 3500. Iam always checking as I plan on one when I finish my e30.

Seeing how cheap they were I havent cared to get it right away as their prices are so low I figure I could find one when ever.

Have any pic

Comment

Originally posted by RS4Drew View Post
                            Yes, it is Pat's car.
                            I like that e24, one of the cleanest examples I know of :)
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by King Mufasa View Post
                              theirs a nice m6 around my neighborhood for 3,500 and the regular 630 and 635i I always seen them go on my craigslist for 2500 to 3500. Iam always checking as I plan on one when I finish my e30.

Seeing how cheap they were I havent cared to get it right away as their prices are so low I figure I could find one when ever.

Have any pic
                              A $3500 M6 is surely going to require about 20K of engine work to get the S38 functional.
                              cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                              X