Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever get tired of probing wires? Building E30 Diag Tools!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever get tired of probing wires? Building E30 Diag Tools!

I started phase 1 of my motronic diag box today, this is the first mockup of what it will be capable of.

Once complete, the system will be able to read all engine sensors, and report them to a selectable meter/digital readout on a breakout box that will connect to this one. I will also have 2 adapters for connecting to ETA and M10 harnesses.

Phase one features Main Relay Control, Fuel Pump Relay, O2 Heater, Check Engine Light Test, Ground Testing, Constant Power Indication, and Manual Injector Pulsing.

Phase 2 will include the sensor metering, and Phase 3 should have the adapters that I need for testing all 3 configurations, so I should be fully compatible with M42, M10, M20, and perhaps some other engines assuming electrical similarities.

I also plan on building a box that will allow me to connect it in the chain between motor and ECU, to monitor everything in realtime. That will be a complete bitch, however I can appreciate the value in having such a device.

Here are shots of Phase 1, I have not installed the DB25 breakout connector yet as I am still drawing up schematics for that. The final version will include a much nicer label, not one printed on plain paper on my laser printer :)

Anyway, thats it!

That looks great. I am very impressed especially seeing as you say it is just the first go at it!

Thanks for sharing!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Haha, finally get some of that useless computer knowledge put to work. ;)

Awesome work James, can't wait to see it in action. Are you planning a write-up on how to build it?

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

Originally posted by e30Matt
        Haha, finally get some of that useless computer knowledge put to work. ;)

Awesome work James, can't wait to see it in action. Are you planning a write-up on how to build it?
        The current design is pretty simple, if I really get into this I will design a custom PCB to make everything easier, if so I can easily put up all the schematics for its design/build.

Comment

a smarter person would either a) sell the schematics b) sell the unit itself

just food for thought....

Comment

Originally posted by BahnE30
            a smarter person would either a) sell the schematics b) sell the unit itself

just food for thought....
            Everybody who has ever met me knows that its very difficult to give me money for things I do, especially help with cars.

While a smarter person could sell the schematics/the unit, a generous person would provide it to the community on which he based his knowledge on originally :)

just food for thought...

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone
              Everybody who has ever met me knows that its very difficult to give me money for things I do, especially help with cars.

While a smarter person could sell the schematics/the unit, a generous person would provide it to the community on which he based his knowledge on originally :)

just food for thought...
              sums you up pretty well. I owe you like 30k in hours of labor.

Comment

Wow, that's pretty impressive. Nice work man. :)
                -Brandon
                '86 325es S50
                '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone

just food for thought...

Awwwww......
                  Trevor Ely
                  '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
                  '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

that is one of the coolest things i've ever seen made.
                    Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Awesome work, James. I must say you certainly are very generous, even for the short while I was there during the PNW Picnic. Hopefully I can get back up there this year. If you do make a write up and/or improve what it 'sees' I guess, I'd like to hear about it it. Good luck with that.

Comment

Well I just took it from mockup to functional alpha.

its working on the bench, I will test it on an actual car tommorrow, but there you have it.

Thanks for the comments as well guys, its cool little tools like this that can make diagnosing wiring issues alot easier.

Comment

that is pretty neat

Comment

You're a day late ;)

Nice work, thats pretty spiff. I'm anxious to see how it develops.

Comment

James, you amaze me.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X