No announcement yet.

BMW E30 325I M3 Convertible replica it has been stolen in NJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ true ^, In a shipping container, down at the seaport in Elizabeth on it's way out of the country. No lojack? kiss it goodby, because you'll never see it again. I know a guy who went to his storage unit to take to take his early 60's vette for a spin, threw open the door and it's GONE! activated his lojack and thats where police found it, in a shipping container, in the hull of a ship
    EDIT: Forgot to mention, IT WAS AN INSIDE JOB, the guy at the storage units got arrested and went to jail. and now the guy keeps his car elsewhere! and now none of the guys friends or family (or online friends) use that scumbag storage place anymore. (true story)
    Last edited by cisco; 03-17-2013, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by long tall eta View Post
      this is not a car that a police cruiser can drive past and not notice like a grey civic. our cars stand out like a sore thumb. that car is stashed or on it's way out of state, maybe on a container ship.
      Or be painted another color and re-sold...
      Ive seen a few e30's with swapped vins in PR... Crazy shit..
      Really sucks for the owner...hope it was insured. :(
      sigpic
      1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
      1987 325ic Black Vert
      1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
      1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

Any updates? Do the police have any leads?

Comment

My worst automotive nightmare..good luck
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pilotskillse30 View Post
            My worst automotive nightmare would be taking my e30 to vlad..good luck
            qft

Comment

I feel your pain, had a off top car stolen here in town myself... It sucks hope its found !
              it's just a ETA !

Comment

if the shop had possession of the vehicle as others have mentioned i am fairly sure the shop is liable in this case...
                RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
                89' 318i

Comment

nice car hope it gets located..e30's are becoming the new wanted car it seems..oh and a quick question what or who is vlad?
                  sigpic
                  93 325i 120k
                  mods: straight pipe,eibach sport springs,style 54s,kamotors carbonfiber cai,
                  future mods: chip, m3 cams, headers, turbo

Comment

Originally posted by e30construction View Post
                    nice car hope it gets located..e30's are becoming the new wanted car it seems..oh and a quick question what or who is vlad?
                    :tsk:

Originally posted by blunttech
                    Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Boy am I sorry too hear this, Really liked that car. Hopefully you find it.
                      sigpic

Comment

keep us updated on wether or not the shop makes good. i really hope they don't say ( oh well, sorry, who's next)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MR 325 View Post
                          x2. Shouldn't a shop's insurance plan cover this? Especially a shop like Vlad's that houses some rare/expensive cars.

I doubt that VERY highly. If your car was stolen outide of McDonalds while you were picking up a few filet-o-fish, they wouldn't cover you, body shop is no different. Hell, we had 2 customers M3s stolen from the dealership lot over night...... your vehicle insurance will cover it.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                            I doubt that VERY highly. If your car was stolen outide of McDonalds while you were picking up a few filet-o-fish, they wouldn't cover you, body shop is no different. Hell, we had 2 customers M3s stolen from the dealership lot over night...... your vehicle insurance will cover it.
                            There's a difference, at least under US law. When you put something of yours in someone else's care it creates a legal relationship that imposes a duty of care. How much of one depends on who benefits (ie, one, the other or both parties). Beyond that there is usually contract language (which you dont get at McD's). Most shops have waiver language in their paperwork but that doesnt excuse them if they leave the keys in it with a neon sign saying "steal this car" :-).

If the shop was secure and someone broke in then I suspect both insurance companies will sort it out. A check would be small consolation for the loss IMO
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

The way garage insurance goes is usually that they are liable if the car is inside the garage, you and your insurance are liable if the car is outside of the building. If it was clearly a shop error then they should do something but if not it is just a crappy situation. Not much different then if your car was stolen from the mall parking lot, its not the malls fault.

Good luck OP I hope you have the correct insurance on that bad boy so you don't get a check for a regular e30 in the mail.

Comment

My shop is down the street from the Port of Wilmington, De. There is an exporter here that sends countless cars over seas. Occasionally I see cool cars in the holding lot waiting to transported to the ship. There is also another exporter here too that ships cars in containers to Central and South America. I drive by both of them every day, I always have my eyes open for cars that look out of place. Most everything they ship out has been taken apart in some manner to avoid paying taxes on complete vehicles. Usually they are economy cars that have reached the end of their useful lives here in the USA, and on their way to being refurbed in some other country. I'll be looking for you!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X