Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Torque Wrench

Yep, I searched.

I'm looking for the r3v recommended torque wrench. Doesn't have to be digital or anything like that, just accurate.

I'm willing to spend about $150. I've got the Harbor Freight one and it's been great, but I'm just not sure if it's accurate, so I always find myself adding another 1/10th of a turn after the click, just to be sure.

Thanks!

I can't tell you the best one for $150 but I can tell you what not to get. DO NOT GET A CRAFTSMAN TORQUE WRENCH. I went through 2 and broke the heads off some bolts before I gave up on them. I think the wrench was $99.

I got a refund and ran to Lowes. I bought a $75 Kobalt torque wrench that has worked great but I can't speak to its accuracy because I haven't compared it to any other wrenches.
    sigpic

Comment

I've heard good stuff about Kobalt products in general. As for torque wrenches I just use HF's as well..
      Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
        I've heard good stuff about Kobalt products in general. As for torque wrenches I just use HF's as well..
        Ever since Kobalt stopped being American made the quality of their products have suffered unfortunately. I still have their American made ratchets which have lasted forever. I've gone through plenty of their chinese extensions though, bent, twisted, or sheared. Their American ones have yet to fail.
        Originally posted by TSI
        ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
        OEM+

Comment

I've had a HF type torque wrench for years (didn't get it there, but it's exactly the same). it works just fine.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

I got to use one of these last week and liked it a lot:

The ⅜" drive HF one I have seems to work fine, though I think it's better suited for upper range of its limit.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

HF torque wrench is crap, they lose calibration and will under torque bolts after only a few uses.

Comment

What ft/lb range do you need? Are you also looking for an inch/pound?
                  Precision Instruments makes fantastic split beam wrenches - really superior.
                  Here's one with 1/2" drive, but they also make the C2, for 3/8" drive and lower ft/lb range.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Instruments-PREC3FR250F-Torque-Wrench/dp/B002XMSFIM

Also, really good write-up on WebBikeWorld: http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/torque-wrench/

Comment

There was an impressive article in Grassroots Motorsports saying the HF torque wrench was the most accurate "click style" available.

Of course, people who really have no idea what they are talking about will always talk trash about them, but the fact is the Harbor Freight really is about the best of that type.

You can find the whole article from December 2009, this is all I could find. The article blew my mind and saved my wallet. I am sure a better copy of the article is out there.

I think I am going to get mine calibrated even though it is more expensive than a new wrench, I am curious now. If I do, I will post the results.

Luke

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I've had mine since 2003. I suppose my wheels should have fallen off by now and on all of my families cars. :p

and my brakes.. and suspension.. and engine.. etc. etc.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Common guys...I bought my HF for $9.99. How can you beat that? And, yes just like Nando, my wheels have not fallen off. The key thing is to set set your wrench to the lowest torque setting when not in use if you want to keep its accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          I've had mine since 2003. I suppose my wheels should have fallen off by now and on all of my families cars. :p

and my brakes.. and suspension.. and engine.. etc. etc.
                          Maybe I just got a bad one because my wheel did almost fall off. Maybe the quality control sucks on a $15 torque wrench:o

I guess if you do buy a HF torque wrench you should test it and make sure it is working right before you trust it to torque your wheels. I would rather spend more money then to have a wheel fall off.

Comment

I bought a Pep Boys TW for $39.99 to do my pressure plate bolts. I had to drop the transmission 3 times before I realized it was my torque wrench that was way under torquing the bolts sigh.
                            Originally posted by TSI
                            ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
                            OEM+

Comment

Originally posted by lolcantturn View Post
                              I bought a Pep Boys TW for $39.99 to do my pressure plate bolts. I had to drop the transmission 3 times before I realized it was my torque wrench that was way under torquing the bolts sigh.
                              I think that one is the same as the HF torque wrench.

Comment

Working...
                              X