Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks!

Thanks for the support!
    Last edited by NeedaE30; 06-13-2014, 09:26 PM.

I would have crushed that car a long time ago.

Comment

Sadly, some of them just aren't worth saving.

Strut bar shipped to 37064?
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Minor body damage, engine or drive train problems, suspension issues, or electrical issues are fixable. Rust like that, on the other hand, is a terminal condition and means that the car is worth no more than the scrap metal price that the body will bring after parting out.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

No investment is sunk unless you really love the car. Are you good with metal work at all? If you're able to strip the car down and repair the rusted sections on your own, go for it.

But if you do end up calling it quits, you should be able to recuperate a decent amount of money by parting it out also.

Comment

The rust isn't too bad compared to other rust belt cars I've seen, and could be fixed by a skilled and expensive welder.
            Fixing it would cost more than you paid for the car, and you could probably get your money back parting it out.

Please buy another E30 and stay on this forum, and, um, keep the avatar.

Comment

Drive it into the ground. On something older or rarer, that rust would be fixed, but on an E30, IMO it's not worth fixing.

Comment

Step one; buy a MIG welder and gas bottle.
                Step two; buy a 4x8 sheet of body metal.
                Step three; cut out and learn how to weld in new metal.

Or part the car out and buy a different one that is rust free.

I repaired worse rust then that on mine, and it is possible to repair it fairly cheaply once you learn how to weld. Some people have looked at mine and said scrap it, but honestly if you love the car and are mechanically inclined it is worth it.

Read jgoods build thread.
                1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
                2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
                2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Drive it to Ontario, abandon it.
                  Somebody will pick it up and brag about how the "body is almost perfect, just a bit of welding".

I would have crushed that car a long time ago.
                  California... I'm so jealous of California. Earthquakes, fires, mudslides... and perfect 30 year old cars.

Oh!
                  Oh!
                  Just saw your post
                  My brother has access to a mig welder 110v and knows how to use it
                  There's your answer. Patching metal isn't as hard as, say, troubleshooting intermittent electrical faults. Patch it strong (i.e. not pretty) and drive it.
                  Last edited by SubDad; 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM. Reason: OP's brother has welder!

Comment

Any interest in a fairly decent vert? There is a guy local to me thats selling a complete vert w/ top etc that you could swap your drivetrain into. If you love having an E30, keep your eye on the forum and find someone selling a solid roller. Have it shipped to you, swap all your mechanicals in and you have a rust free E30 in the rust belt. My suggestions are based off the assumption that your are either A) interested in getting balls deep into your car, B) mechanically capable or willing to learn C) slightly retarded. I personally fit into all of the above categories and when I strip my car down this winter, I will either be patching a few rust spots or looking for a clean shell. Good luck!
                    09 BMW 328xi touring 6spd
                    05 Subaru Outback XT 5spd
                    87 BMW 325is
                    a few bicycles

Comment

all that floor rust is a easy fix. buy a cheap welder, watch some welding videos on youtube and have fun. completely fixable

Originally posted by LowR3V'in
                      It's in the name e30tech not e30offtopic

Comment

Seriously? You say you are in the Rust Belt, yet you are worried about small floor pan rust like this? Either man up and fix it yourself or sell it to someone, like me, who knows the value of steel cars and is willing to repair it to make money.
                        Derek-

Comment

Looks good though
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

if you really do love it you will save it regardless of time and effort to make it right.

if you dont, post it for 1.5k, cut your losses and move on to a different car.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                            Ig:ryno_pzk
                            I like the tuna here.
                            Originally posted by lambo
                            Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Buy a cheap ass beater DD, then tear that thing apart and fix it with your brother. There's quite a few build threads where the OP has fixed rust, that would be a good starting point. Here's a good one.
                              1992 325ic, Alpine over Indigo.

Comment

Working...
                              X