No announcement yet.

Thanks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've already invested that much into it and it's in good mechanical condition, I don't see why you shouldn't keep it.

I do have a rust-free caged roller FYI. PM if interested...

Comment

Go look at JGood's build thread, just the first few pages, then talk about not being able to fix rust.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Wow that's really not that bad for a NE car.

I've had to abandon cars much worse then that. That all looks easily fixable.

Think about it as maintenance for a peice of machinery made out of metal .
        1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
        1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
        1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
        1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

For the most part i am done... i just need to coat the top and bottom sides to seal it.. i am currently waiting for my jb weld and my metal filler to cure before i coat it...check first post for pictures of my.... Ghetto first time ever body work haha:???:

Comment

opinions needed... shits still curing so if anyone has suggestions on anything i should change before its rock hard i'd appreciate it... it seems like the repairs are pretty damn solid and once they are rubber coated i feel like it should be pretty tightly sealed against water but i dont know.. i cant really coat the back sides of the corner repairs because the underbody etc is blocking it so it will still be exposed on the back side of the 2 corner repairs o.0

Comment

Too bad you didn't do weld repairs. JB weld is cosmetically strong but it's not structure strong.

Water (and salt) will get into the places where your patches overlap the original metal, so be prepared to grind out more rust when you eventually do the welding.

Coat everything in oil, proper rust preventative oil. Inside and out. Inside you can wipe or flow it on, for the bottom either fog and spray it on or even better take it to a commercial place and let them do it with all their wands, warm oil and willingness to get really dirty. I like Krown (tm), myself. YMMV.

Be very careful where people lift that car when they put it on a hoist. That rust in the front outside corners is above where they'll want to pick it up, and there's no strength there anymore.

Take a good look at the front shock towers and both sides of the front bulkhead/firewall. Take that nasty foam stuff off the front of the firewall, it's just a sponge for salt water.
              Spray the bulkhead too. The scuttle metal (under the vent intakes ahead of the windshield is only about 15 thou, really brittle and rusts like mad. You could soak that in oil too, but you'd be breathing it for months.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedaE30
                A. buy rust free e30
                Best option

Originally posted by NeedaE30
                B. Buy a harbor freight welder
                No. No. No. If you want to do that, just take the money out of your wallet and flush it down the toilet. Look for a used one on CL.

Comment

My E36 was imported from Canada. It was treated with Krown. FUCK KROWN.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                  i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                  Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Acquire second less rusty E30. Continue driving this one. Stop worrying about the body.

Win/win/win

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

All that patch work you did is going to cause greater problems. Even if you try to "seal" from both sides. You've created a trap for salt and dirt to get in there and keep it moist which will rapidly speed up rust.

Get a serious wire wheel and grind off all that shit you put on there. Get your brother to come show you how to tack weld (do not try to lay down a bead) and then seal it. Use as much weld-thru primer as possible.

That rust isn't that bad but you definately are making it worse. I think you can tackle it in a weekend or two. Hurry before winter gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                        Acquire second less rusty E30. Continue driving this one. Stop worrying about the body.

Win/win/win
                        This. Buy a rust free/less rusty car and build that. Daily this one until it rots into oblivion.
                        - Josh
                        1990 325is

Need a shift boot?
                        Looking to buy shift boot frames, PM if you have one to sell

Here's what happens when you let the internet pick your license plate

Comment

Working...
                        X