Do you regret swapping out your m42?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you regret swapping out your m42?

With my m42 just turning 211,000 on the clock i realized that sooner or later i will be faced with the decision of either rebuilding the good ol m42 or swap to a different platform.

So i'd like to hear from the guys that have done the swap, and if you regret it or wish you had done it sooner. (please vote)

Note; this is not a thread about how great the m42's are or what a POS they are. They are plenty of threads for that subject.

Nope. The m30 and m60 were better in every way. The m42 was fun in a slow car bopping around type of way, but the extra power is easily more fun and less boring than that.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

I regret it. I've owned four m42 cars to date. I've swapped two of them to s52/m52 engines.

Yes the car gets faster. Yes it's way more fun. But it gets noticeably heavier and MPGs go down.

I like the m42 engine a lot. Every swap from here on out will be to an m20 powered car. Because I never liked the m20.

M42 is the perfect motor for a 318is.
      world renown Harry Potter expert
      sigpic

Comment

I had an m40, a little different but I don't regret it at all. The car does feel different but I've made some other changes to the suspension that helped and there is more I could do to bring back the feeling of agility in changing direction it had before.

That being said if I had a proper M42 and not the m40 things would be different, im sure.
        For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
        Originally posted by mbonanni
        I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

I miss the nimble feeling but forget all about it at 14PSI
          We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
          www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Hated it since it was hooked too an autotragic and autotragic and race car do not go together in same sentence. Besides it's powering some other lemons team now.

Ours had roughly 211k as well, and the disa valve was not functional. E36 M42.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Because this is OT. I'm just gonna out and say it. Not bashing or praising the engine.

The first thing that popped into my head was "211k? Aww, how cute!"

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                Yes the car gets faster. Yes it's way more fun. But it gets noticeably heavier and MPGs go down.
                My MPGs went up by swapping out an M42 for a M52b28

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  Nope. The m30 and m60 were better in every way. The m42 was fun in a slow car bopping around type of way, but the extra power is easily more fun and less boring than that.
                  Fun in a straight line or even in the curves? Did you do anything else to your suspension at the same time?

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
                  I regret it. I've owned four m42 cars to date. I've swapped two of them to s52/m52 engines.

I like the m42 engine a lot. Every swap from here on out will be to an m20 powered car. Because I never liked the m20.

M42 is the perfect motor for a 318is.
                  Thanks for your input. I wonder if there are anyone else that shares your sentiment.

I daily an m50 e36 so i can see the power gain, but it is no where...i mean, no where near as fun as my e30.
                  (i do realize that is not all contributed to the platform, suspension, weight and rigidity play a huge part in that factor as well...)

Also, please vote :) I really hope this thread will be of help to myself, and anyone else debating swapping their m42 out.

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
                  I had an m40, a little different but I don't regret it at all. The car does feel different but I've made some other changes to the suspension that helped and there is more I could do to bring back the feeling of agility in changing direction it had before.

That being said if I had a proper M42 and not the m40 things would be different, im sure.
                  Not too familiar with m40, for obvious reasons. But just by reading on the specs on that motor, i can see your reasoning.

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
                  I miss the nimble feeling but forget all about it at 14PSI
                  That is what i'm afraid i would loose, the great nimble feeling. And if my budget ever allows, and i want something else...i'll just yank a m20 or an m10 for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                    Hated it since it was hooked too an autotragic and autotragic and race car do not go together in same sentence. Besides it's powering some other lemons team now.

Ours had roughly 211k as well, and the disa valve was not functional. E36 M42.
                    My first car was a '95 318i. Cannot even compare to the e30, even though it had the same engine.
                    So i totally understand your point.

Comment

Originally posted by 10Toes View Post
                      My MPGs went up by swapping out an M42 for a M52b28
                      What MPG's were you getting in your m42 and what are you getting now?

Comment

I'll have to check out a M42 car once one is for sale next time. My M20 feels pretty quick 0-60 most of the time except when I use the a/c I swear the A/C compressor must take at least 30-40 hp
                        1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                        2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                        2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

i have an m3, a 325i, had a 325ic, have a 325e, had a 325es, have driven 318is and 318ic. hands down the m42 is crap. for the lack of power, there is not enough difference in handling.
                          s52+zf320 and be done with it. throw on a balanced coilover system and you wont have any regrets.
                          Much wow
                          I hate 4 doors

Comment

Eric you don't have to go to every thread that mentions the m42 and post the same thing...
                            The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                            Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                            2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                            2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
                              Eric you don't have to go to every thread that mentions the m42 and post the same thing...
                              lbv, how many times have you thought about boosting/swapping? the M42 doesnt have enough power to keep up with modern traffic. as i recall you even bought another car for the engine to swap into yours. if the OP had an M42b20 then he wouldnt be asking this question. But almost no one leaves that engine alone, they are always hunting for a lot more power.

bc im getting shit for this
                              explanation:
                              keeping up with modern traffic. I happen to live in the richest place in the US, seeing a model S's, Ferraris, 911s along with 100s of other high end 100k+ cars is a normal daily experience. Also having terrible drivers in these types of cars is also usual. When i want to pass them on a 1 lane road, i dont want to be scared that i cant - before oncoming traffic. i also dont want to have to mob my car to to pass someone so i can merge and get off at my exit. for me 110whp/100wtq in a 2700lb car does not meet my daily needs. this is where i am coming from.

now having driven in every type of e30 from s52 to m10. the biggest driving dynamic issue is the quality and balance of the suspension. this i know for a fact, because i have an ETA on GCs and an M3 w/ s14 on XYZs. and the quality GC eta can easily out preform my m3 in and handling.
                              Last edited by Cabriolet; 09-19-2013, 03:16 PM.
                              Much wow
                              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Working...
                              X