Rocky Mountain CCA Ice Gymkhana, 9 E30's On Ice, Aerial Drone Vid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky Mountain CCA Ice Gymkhana, 9 E30's On Ice, Aerial Drone Vid

The Rocky Mountain Chapter of the BMW CCA hosted an Ice Gymkhana on Georgetown Lake last weekend. We had 9 E30's (RWD and AWD) in attendance, plus a bunch of newer BMW's and other marques.

I can't post pictures from my friend's flicker album. Does anyone know why? Maybe it's in the permissions.

Here is a link to a blog post with the full story and pics:

If you don't want to read the novel, the aerial video is here. All pictures courtesy of Steve Clark, full album is  HERE . The Ro...

Here's an aerial vid from my drone:

Super high quality Vimeo with no ads:

Rocky Mountain BMW CCA Chapter Ice Gymkhana on Georgetown Lake, CO. Full story with tons of pics here: http://cloudbaseimaging.blogspot.com/2014/01/bmw-cca-rocky-mountain-chapter-ice.html. The…

Crappy YouTube w/ ads:

JOY IS AN E30...

Would love to try this. We used to go up to Dillon Lake to watch the Wrangler guys race on ice, except they probably did it more often cuz they had studded tires.

Comment

Studded tires were key. We were the only AWD car with them and were like 20 secs faster than non-studded.
      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Nice video, is that the phantom drone?

Comment

looks pretty fun but I feel like there would be not enough traction.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
          Ig:ryno_pzk
          I like the tuna here.
          Originally posted by lambo
          Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

tons of fun and great way to learn car control, had a stage on the Alcan Winter rally that was an frozen lake ice stage, had the biggest smile for so long after doing that stage.
            Angus
            88 E30M3 X2
            89 325IX
            92 R100GS/PD
            :)

Comment

Thanks guys. It was a great exercise in car control. With studded snows there was plenty of traction. It was a lot like track driving in the wet. The grip was off line in the snowy patches. I did a 24 hour kart race last year, with 16 hours was in the wet, that was huge translation of skills.

The drone is a first gen DJI Phantom with my own custom mount. I use Fat Shark FPV gear. A gimbal really would have helped how turbulent the air was, it's next on my list.

There is a compilation of my Phantom footage here: https://vimeo.com/72140829

That kart race is also on my Vimeo channel.
              JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Alex i am amazed with your photo editing and music selection. Great video to highlight the event! I also may be partial to one or two cars in the video ;)
                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Thanks man! I just watched it again. I really wish I had a gimbal hooked up. It would have done wonders to smooth out the turbulence.
                  JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

What's a gimbal?

Comment

It's uses two brushless motors to isolate the movement of the drone from the camera. It would have made the camera rock solid even in that turbulence.
                      JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I looked into the Phantom 2 + gimbal and I seriously need one of those!
                        That is so cool. Add a GoPro3+ and you've got a professional rig for fantastic vids.

/tech geek wetdream

Comment

The setup DLSR pro's offers is cinema quality w/ super long range.

DSLRPros is the leading enterprise drone shop. We've been a DJI Authorized Dealer since 2012 & a partner of other top brands like FLIR, Autel, & Airdata.
                          JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

I hope you can bring this thing to 4 Corners in August ;D

Also I have some video of Ted's drift in the AM I'm not quite sure what to do with.
                            http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Working...
                            X