Straight up-- choose between 325is and 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight up-- choose between 325is and 318is

I've been the very proud owner of a 1989 325is for almost 3 years now and I don't regret for a minute spending that $2700 for this car. But I do wonder from time to time if a 318is would've been more fun. I'm not about straight-line speed, but I do like accelerating in corners and windy roads. High revs are fun. And I love saving money on gas.

I hear the 318is is slow, but is it THAT slow?

The m42 will leave you wishing for torque all day long. Not only that, you will miss the sound of your m20 all day as well. Hands down i prefer the 6 cylinder e30's over the 4 cylinder varients, but oppinion and preference vary wildly from person to person. Conclusion: drive one before you buy one.

"Having won more road races than any other model in history, the E30 M3 is considered by many to be the world's most successful road race car." - Simply put, E30s kick ass.

Comment

s42 ftw!
      : : 1984 318i : : PNW E30 Crew : : Sold!!
      Now becoming the R3vlimited Pro3 car
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=93780

Comment

Originally posted by chuckybob
        s42 ftw!
        I forgot which E30 that came in? The magical one that doesn't really exist?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
        RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

theres a thread about the S42 5 threads down from this one....it's a motorsport engine. Anyway, I've driven both the 325i and the 318is. You will miss the torque but it's still a fun engine, unless you get a case of profile gasket failure which is a real pain in the ass (I speak from experience) The gas mileage isn't that much different if the car is driven moderatly. Your best bet is to try one.
          E30 325i 1990 (Winter beater)
          E36 M3/4/5 1997 (Futur IP car?)
          BMW Club of Quebec

Comment

only 4 banger from bmw i would consider getting is the s14. other wise stay with the 6.

Comment

if you want torque and great gas mileage get an eta:mrgreen:

i've never driven a 318iS but i dont know if the weight savings could make up for the lack of power.

Comment

Originally posted by crucial325
                if you want torque and great gas mileage get an eta:mrgreen:

i've never driven a 318iS but i dont know if the weight savings could make up for the lack of power.
                no
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I have driven all E30´s and
                  I now have a M42 for daily,

I have a 12lbs flywheel, so there is nothing going on in the low end,
                  high end is another matter,

I have been in a plain 325i racing a 318is and in that particular race the 325i left the 318is for dead,
                  I have since raced my M42 agains a 325i and it they where very similar,

Don´t give up the torque.
                  M42 is though nice for a daily
                  Gunni
                  @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

I'd choose the 318is any day. Thats just me though of course.
                    James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

325i without a doubt. Take out your A/C and a few other things and a 325i becomes a 318iS with a lot more power and torque.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

In my Eta I was able to outpace a 318is on the track in the turns. Even with only 121hp I could definately tell that I was able to draw out just that little bit harder with the wider powerband. Now with 168hp and pretty much the same amount of torque and I would imagine it would take a pretty big skill disparity to overcome it.
                        Im now E30less.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                          Take out your A/C and a few other things and a 325i becomes a 318iS with a lot more power and torque.
                          How do you figure that?
                          James Peacock

WWFSMD?

Comment

The only thing that the 318iS owners think is so superior over other E30's is the handling because its lighter. You can bring the 325i into 318iS weight territory fairly easily.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

I love how tossable the 318is is, its a very fun and well balanced car, and I DO admit to smiling when I drove it.

However the lack of torque really bothers me, and I could careless about gas milage, so I perfer the M20

Comment

Working...
                              X