Well s**t... What to do??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well s**t... What to do??

So as some of you know I'm fixing up my euro e30 that suffers from major rust issues. I thought I had found all the rust until I went to take out my front strut and found this

Immediately I stopped working on struts started taking my interior apart even more. I pulled the driver seat and all the carpet to reveal all this

My question isn't weather or not its fixable cause I know it is. My question is should I? I've put a ton of work and money in this thing already and thought I had all the rust sorted out and then I find this. I almost feel defeated buy this car and am contemplating parting it. With the recaro's euro bumpers zender spoiler and OZ TURBO's I'd already be well in profit and thats not even the last of the parts but, I love this car lol and dont know what to do!!! Any thoughts or opinions?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Road trip to Cali for a rust free shell, swap all parts over.

At least that's what I would do if I were in the situation. You'll gain a good car to put all your fun parts on, along with a story to go with it.
    No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
      Road trip to Cali for a rust free shell, swap all parts over.

At least that's what I would do if I were in the situation. You'll gain a good car to put all your fun parts on, along with a story to go with it.
      Thanks for putting that idea in my head lol... Thats just one more option to think about.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

There is always going to be more rust than you think. I would seriously consider trying to find a rust free or at least less rusty shell or car.

Wait yours was the euro 320 right? Tough call, it would cool to keep it original but thats going to be a lot of work.
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
          There is always going to be more rust than you think. I would seriously consider trying to find a rust free or at least less rusty shell or car.
          I want to but any shell I find is going to be Cali probably and that's a long trip. If I look for a shell I have to decide if I wanna sell the goodies I have for a shell or swap all goodies over.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Colorado typically has rust free E30's

Edit: At least a fuck ton less rusty than that.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
            Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Atleast if you fix it, you know you have a rock soild floor and wont have to take a long road trip, it depends if you want to save money or time.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post

Wait yours was the euro 320 right? Tough call, it would cool to keep it original but thats going to be a lot of work.
                Yes thats the big problem is it a euro 320 so its unique and I know there arent any euro around here.
                Originally posted by lambo View Post
                Colorado typically has rust free E30's

Edit: At least a fuck ton less rusty than that.
                Yea I have been on colorado cl all night

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

i just fixed worse than that on my e36, its not difficult just annoying. Its just a floor pan, honestly just fix it, its not like your subframe is ripping out or you need a new strut tower
                  94 325is

Comment

You can fix it... but is it worth it? That looks like a LOT of rust dude. Exactly how much metal needs replacing? Euro E30 or not, I wouldn't think twice about scrapping that car. Get yourself a solid shell from CA/AZ, and enjoy DRIVING your E30.

I've been down this road with Datsun Z cars, and it's simply not worth it. Currently saving up for a clean chassis to replace my rotted ones.

Comment

Fix it. Nothing beats that sentimental value. Makes the car more "yours".. and you'll learn a thing or two in doing so. Gratification, over satisfaction.

Comment

Just like the dude who bought the crappy 5er, let this be a lesson to you and others reading this thread.

Personally I have an 88 e30 that I really like. I've had it for a long time, but before I throw anymore money into it, I'm tearing it apart to inspect+repair any body issues before anymore money/time goes into it.

I know this is the boring way of approaching owning and enjoying an old car, but for the money I'm putting into it, I see it more as an investment considering it's age

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                          You can fix it... but is it worth it? That looks like a LOT of rust dude. Exactly how much metal needs replacing? Euro E30 or not, I wouldn't think twice about scrapping that car. Get yourself a solid shell from CA/AZ, and enjoy DRIVING your E30.

I've been down this road with Datsun Z cars, and it's simply not worth it. Currently saving up for a clean chassis to replace my rotted ones.
                          Im figuring 4x4 or a 5x5 sheet of 16ga metal should be enough to patch it all. IronFreak here on r3v is metal worker I'm going to see if he can bend a roll me some new floor pans and dead pedal if he can then I'm gonna fix it. If he cant then Idk what I'll do..
                          Originally posted by imwhyteyo View Post
                          Fix it. Nothing beats that sentimental value. Makes the car more "yours".. and you'll learn a thing or two in doing so. Gratification, over satisfaction.
                          Yea nothing beats fixing it yourself but thats atleast another 20-30 hours of work and this car already has 100+ and I've probably knocked out 20 of those hours already..

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                            Im figuring 4x4 or a 5x5 sheet of 16ga metal should be enough to patch it all. IronFreak here on r3v is metal worker I'm going to see if he can bend a roll me some new floor pans and dead pedal if he can then I'm gonna fix it. If he cant then Idk what I'll do..

Yea nothing beats fixing it yourself but thats atleast another 20-30 hours of work and this car already has 100+ and I've probably knocked out 20 of those hours already..
                            That strut tower rust is going to be a BITCH .I got rid of my beloved first E30 because of it.
                            Read this thread...

Im doing rust repair on mine now, it takes alot of patience with the welder to be able to get it all done. I got my passenger side floor done by myself, but im having a professional welder do my driver side floor.

The car can be saved. Think about it as Maintenance to a car made out of sheet metal. and if you do it right it should last another 20 years no problem.
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Originally posted by TimKninja View Post
                              That strut tower rust is going to be a BITCH .I got rid of my beloved first E30 because of it.
                              Read this thread...

Im doing rust repair on mine now, it takes alot of patience with the welder to be able to get it all done. I got my passenger side floor done by myself, but im having a professional welder do my driver side floor.

The car can be saved. Think about it as Maintenance to a car made out of sheet metal. and if you do it right it should last another 20 years no problem.
                              Yes the strut tower rust is what has me the most concerned of all cause I have no clue how the hell Id patch it.

thanks for that thread he has rust in the same spot on the firewall. I wonder have much cash needs to put in his face to fab me that firewall piece
                              Last edited by ThatOneEuroE30; 03-14-2014, 08:28 AM.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                              X