I got really lucky and dodged a bullet today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got really lucky and dodged a bullet today

So...I have been driving my Tech 2 for a little over a year now. I have done tons of work to it over that time. oil pan, suspension....you name it. Anyway, one of the items on my list that I hadn't gotten around to was the timing belt. It has been in the back of my mind for a really long time. every time i decided to get to work on it, there was alway some other project that demanded my attention instead.

fast forward a year or so: today was finally the day.

as i pulled the upper belt cover off, i noticed that the belt was actually pretty loose. i also noticed that the belt was running on the outer edge of the pulleys. it appeared that the cover was actually holding it in place. after looking even closer, i saw that the tensioner pulley was actually crooked!

In this pic, you can see that the weld/crimp had cracked about 80% through.

i pulled on it with my fingers and broke it completely off.

apparently, it had been like this for some time. you can see in these two pics how the belt was flopping around on the inside of the cover:

its hard to say, but i would assume this would have come unglued on me in the next 100 miles or so. i can't honestly say why i decided to pick today to change it out. i have noticed over the last few weeks the engine seemed to idle a little erratically. i wonder if there may have been some subliminal message from being in tune with this vehicle i love so much? maybe in the back of my head, i started thinking how she was just a teeny bit under the weather.

btw, this is the substandard tensioner part that the bently manual says needs to be changed out with the w126 version. my guess is that this is the reason why.

for me personally, this is the last time i'm going to be playing timing belt roulette. for those of you that have purchased or are driving a car where you have not changed your belt, hopefully this will be a reminder to do so.
    Last edited by flyboyx; 04-23-2014, 10:33 AM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

My don't quote me list:

Originally posted by george graves
    I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a smog test type of thing. IIRC think it's against CA law to *sell* a dual outlet muffler as a replacement for a car that came from the factory with a single. But don't quote me on that.

Comment

You lucky bastard. Also,
      Originally posted by joncrz View Post
      ^
      91 318is - Gone
      16 VW GTI
      07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

that's one of those crummy tensioners I'm always afraid of.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Caught it just in time! Always one of the first things to get done, along with a fresh oil change.
          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

BMW gods were watching out for you!
            Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Should of let it go then you would have a really good reason to swap lol. You got seriously lucky though that motor should be shelled.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Holy crap i've been putting my Tb/WP change off for a while now too.. You've scared me straight :shock:
                1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
                1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
                1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
                My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

To echo everyone else, that's as close as it gets.
                  Originally posted by Andy.B
                  Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                  1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Had to double check i was on r3v !
                    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Had to un-lurk, and say same thing happened to me with that same tensioner.
                      I could hear the belt flapping while the engine rpm were dropping after revving it.

I installed the tensioner a few months before i noticed a problem, so its not just a matter
                      of age, its just a bad design

There is different design tensioner, where the post attaches has a larger diameter

Comment

Nice save!

Obligatory post: I never have to worry about timing belts. ^_^
                        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by e30m3s54turbo View Post
                          BMW gods were watching out for you!
                          Can't say this one enough.

You dodged a bullet, aimed straight at your face from 2 inches away, with the reflexes of a sloth.

Dear lord.

(I've done mine. So I'm good and not freaking out about that. Just the newly discovered post winter sittings fuel spraying EVERYWHERE underneath it now... Sigh...)

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                            Should of let it go then you would have a really good reason to swap lol. You got seriously lucky though that motor should be shelled.
                            if it was a run of the mill e30, it already would have had a more modern engine installed. since its a factory manual trans 770 code with its original block, i have been trying to keep it pretty stock. i have another car for all that crazy stuff.

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                            Can't say this one enough.

You dodged a bullet, aimed straight at your face from 2 inches away, with the reflexes of a sloth.

Dear lord.
                            kind of like the gun jammed before the firing pin hit the primer i would say: that pulley was wedged in against the water pump and timing cover. i am all but positive this is the only reason it was still more or less in place. it sure wasn't spinning very well.

praise jesus!
                            Last edited by flyboyx; 04-23-2014, 06:36 PM.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                              Nice save!

Obligatory post: I never have to worry about timing belts. ^_^
                              Maybe, but it ain't any cheaper when it comes time to fix it!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X