E30 prices...Only going to keep going up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenDem View Post
    In a sense, it's much like the '57 bel-air, the Mustang and the Volkswagen type II; A popular car (when new) that's instantly identifiable by non-car folks because of the social era / movement they symbolize.
    Good point. Now that you mention it, I do get positive comments from [older] people who clearly really aren't into cars.

Comment

I find this bad for me. I want to get a 318is.
      sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Originally posted by cavpilot View Post
        Interesting. What makes you think that prices will drop?
        Mechanically, they are not aging well, and maintenance isn't getting any cheaper. I can see prices hovering around the 2004 era from back when I first got into e30s; things really haven't changed much except that the desirable parts from BMW are going nla. Drifting will eventually calm down and more people will simply want a clean, late model car that doesn't need a complete overhaul. E30s will live lives as perpetual project cars.
        My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
          Mechanically, they are not aging well.
          As newbie to the whole e30 thing, are they aging any less well than any other car of the same age ?

Comment

here is a comparison: A 2001 e46 325xi with manual- NADA values

Rough
            Trade-In Average
            Trade-In Clean
            Trade-In Clean
            Retail
            Base Price $2,175 $3,300 $4,250 $6,450
            Mileage (160,000) N/A N/A N/A N/A
            Total Base Price $2,175 $3,300 $4,250 $6,450
            Options: (change)
            W/out Auto. Trans. -$350 -$350 -$350 -$350
            Price with Options $1,825 $2,950 $3,900 $6,100

Clean retail = $6,100

Now a 1988 325ix with manual:

Original
            MSRP Low
            Retail Average
            Retail High
            Retail
            Base Price $32,800 $4,025 $5,875 $8,200
            TOTAL PRICE: $32,800 $4,025 $5,875 $8,200

Average to high retail= $5,875 to $8,200

I'd say e30's are definately going up in value, and clean, rust free examples will command a healthy price as the years go by. IMHO
            "just love those little tanky inline 6's"

Comment

I have owned many e30's in my life. In 2000 I paid $2500 for an 89 cabrio with a salvage title. I replaced the engine, transmission, top and wheels. The interior and body were clean and came with some nice Zender pieces that I regret not keeping. Any who... I've always made good buys on my e30's as I am a patient buyer, the list below will detail.

in 2000 1989 325i Cabrio Auto. $2500, traded in for a Cadillac after 3 years of daily driving
              in 2002 1984 318i Coupe 5 speed. $750 Nice Zender side skirts, front spoiler and 15*8 BBS wheels
              In 2005 1992 318i Cabrio 5 speed. $1700 drove for 5 years and sold for $2500
              in 2013 1989 325i Coupe Auto (Current daily driver). $650 put in $350 in repairs and registration. Changed out front comforts for sport seats. BBS basket weaves (UGLY CHROME)
              In 2010 325i Salvage 350.00. sold for 850
              In 2004 1991 318is 5 speed $1200, almost mint except for the front seats. Paid $100.00 for almost brand new ones on CL and there it was. Much love to my car and I regret ever since I sold her.
              In 2013 1991 318is 5 speed, $400, PO could not get it to run. I replaced the fuel pump and it was road ready.

That's the list of my previous e30's. All the prices have been way below market and I do all the work myself. Prices have gone up yes. But patience will get you what you want for the price you want to pay for it.
              My current cars I would not sell for anything. My 89 is going to my 17 year old once he graduates high school next year and my Schwarts 318is I am going to restore for my little one for his 15th birthday. The e30 legacy lives in my family as we all own or have owned one

s24.photobucket.com/user/uniflp/media/PIMG0234.jpg.html][/URL]

Just some examples...
              Last edited by e30crazie; 05-13-2014, 09:29 PM.
              I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

1991 318is Diamantschwarz Metallic
              1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

I paid 1600 for my euro spec rust bucket

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                  At the risk of getting tarred, feathered and pilloried, it's not, really.

Stylistically, I find it very pretty. It's strong and safe for its time.

But it has a 2002 suspension and cylinder head. The E36 is better in most ways.
                  It handles better. It makes more power. Almost everything about it is an improvement.

And yet, I love my E30, and the E36 is just a commutabox.

Go figure.

t
                  e30 has rack and pinion steering 2002 has recirculating ball and the front suspension is quite a bit different the e30 has very similar front suspension to e36 & e46

the E30's trailing arms are at a different angle as well

its pretty good for being 30 years old

Multivalve heads are overrated a LS7 makes 500hp with pushrods and 2 valves per cyl
                  1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                  2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                  2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                    Is it out of the question to import an E21/E30 say, from Germany to the U.S.?
                    The good ones there are more expensive than the good ones here. More likely to have rust (it's cheap to fly out to CA to get one), then you have to add on the shipping and importation fees.

I bought my sedan for $1k in 2007, dumped $30k into it and can't sell it at $16.5k. :big cry:

I think I'm doing it wrong.
                    Last edited by Eric; 05-14-2014, 04:53 AM.
                    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

I think Cali is a terrible place to gauge prices of pretty much anything.

I do agree with the sentiment that a whole running car shouldn't be parted out. Hence my trying to sell the 85.
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by e30crazie View Post
                        I have owned many e30's in my life. In 2000 I paid $2500 for an 89 cabrio with a salvage title. I replaced the engine, transmission, top and wheels. The interior and body were clean and came with some nice Zender pieces that I regret not keeping. Any who... I've always made good buys on my e30's as I am a patient buyer, the list below will detail.

in 2000 1989 325i Cabrio Auto. $2500, traded in for a Cadillac after 3 years of daily driving
                        in 2002 1984 318i Coupe 5 speed. $750 Nice Zender side skirts, front spoiler and 15*8 BBS wheels
                        In 2005 1992 318i Cabrio 5 speed. $1700 drove for 5 years and sold for $2500
                        in 2013 1989 325i Coupe Auto (Current daily driver). $650 put in $350 in repairs and registration. Changed out front comforts for sport seats. BBS basket weaves (UGLY CHROME)
                        In 2010 325i Salvage 350.00. sold for 850
                        In 2004 1991 318is 5 speed $1200, almost mint except for the front seats. Paid $100.00 for almost brand new ones on CL and there it was. Much love to my car and I regret ever since I sold her.
                        In 2013 1991 318is 5 speed, $400, PO could not get it to run. I replaced the fuel pump and it was road ready.

That's the list of my previous e30's. All the prices have been way below market and I do all the work myself. Prices have gone up yes. But patience will get you what you want for the price you want to pay for it.
                        My current cars I would not sell for anything. My 89 is going to my 17 year old once he graduates high school next year and my Schwarts 318is I am going to restore for my little one for his 15th birthday. The e30 legacy lives in my family as we all own or have owned one

s24.photobucket.com/user/uniflp/media/PIMG0234.jpg.html][/URL]

Just some examples...

(In 2013 1991 318is 5 speed, $400, PO could not get it to run. I replaced the fuel pump and it was road ready.)

I just had to comment on this because it reminded me of the 318 I had. Same price,same problem. Sold it and still mis it today.
                        sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          The good ones there are more expensive than the good ones here. More likely to have rust (it's cheap to fly out to CA to get one), then you have to add on the shipping and importation fees.
                          OK. I search www.mobile.de from time to time for E21's. They seem somewhat more reasonably priced and in better shape than what you'd find in Finland. Then I thought why don't you people import your cars since you seem to like euro-spec this and euro-spec that on E30's so much :D :D.
                          I bought my sedan for $1k in 2007, dumped $30k into it and can't sell it at $16.5k.:big cry:

I think I'm doing it wrong.
                          my 1984 2d shell was 0€ in 2008. I've poured money in to it since then but I don't expect to see that money again. That's why I've deciced to keep it forever.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

Poor E21, nobody ever loved it. I predict it'll be the truly collectible one
                            in 50 years, as they're all getting scrapped.

t
                            I'm with you on this one, prices are quietly going up right now. A good rust free runner is at least $3-$4000.

Comment

I doubt they will ever be sought after - not everything that is rare is worth money.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                                Mechanically, they are not aging well,
                                I totally disagree with this. Show me any other 1988 vehicle that's still out on the road and thriving in many ways. For comparison purposes, go onto Craigslist and do a search for 1988 Mercedes 190e. Compared to the e30, there just isn't that much out there. In my opinion they just couldn't pass the test of time, unlike the e30.

Comment

Working...
                                X