E30 prices...Only going to keep going up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smooth View Post
    nah, just surprised that you actually tried to piss all over my post about how there are plenty of 20 year old hondas and toyotas for sale that are in good running order when you have more than a dozen of them in your local craigslist section right now

most people agree with me that to everyone other than enthusiasts we're just driving old cars with high maintenance costs

never in a million years would I think that was a contentious issue so it was surprising that you even tried to argue about that. but it's herd mentality around here so I really shouldn't have been
    I have no idea what you are blathering about. did you actually waste your time looking up Japanese cars on craigslist for my area?

the point is people like E30s. Nobody cares about base model econoboxes from 25 years ago. just like old muscle cars - only a few are actually worth anything, most of them made at the time are long gone because nobody cared about them.

I was just iterating that I said literally nothing about modifying cars, and you accused me of arguing with you about that.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

the point is people like E30s.

/thread
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I have no idea what you are blathering about. did you actually waste your time looking up Japanese cars on craigslist for my area?

the point is people like E30s. Nobody cares about base model econoboxes from 25 years ago. just like old muscle cars - only a few are actually worth anything, most of them made at the time are long gone because nobody cared about them.

I was just iterating that I said literally nothing about modifying cars, and you accused me of arguing with you about that.
        wasn't that much of a waste of time, I simply put in bellingham, wa. went to the cars/truck section and there were a bunch of late 80's, early 90's asian imports on the first, second, and third pages. was just double checking to see if your area of the country was bizarrely different from the rest of the country but it wasn't so your posts were confusing to say the least. nice to see you keeping forum decorum at a high level however :)
        Das ist nicht nur nicht richtig, es ist nicht einmal falsch!

Comment

Smooth isn't being so smooth
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

shift linkage is pissing me off lol
            I'll leave the thread ;)

Comment

wasn't that much of a waste of time, I simply put in bellingham, wa. went to the cars/truck section and there were a bunch of late 80's, early 90's asian imports on the first, second, and third pages. was just double checking to see if your area of the country was bizarrely different from the rest of the country but it wasn't so your posts were confusing to say the least. nice to see you keeping forum decorum at a high level however :)
              I never said they didn't exist. wow. I said nobody cares that they exist.

yeah, that really was a waste of your time.

also, take a guess as to why people are buying those things - cheap transportation. since I live here, I can tell you the only people who drive cars like that are drug dealers and high school kids who can't afford a newer car. nobody sees a 1987 Nissan Maxima and goes, wow, what a cool car! Around here the most popular modded vehicle is a 7000lb turbo diesel truck with a lift kit, yet I routinely get compliments, thumbs up, and offers to buy from people who don't even know what an E30 is. somehow I don't think that's ever happened to somebody driving a Camry, of any year..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nah, but that's a nice tactic you and your mod are trying to pull off to shut down conversation.

my examples were the same thing being done in this thread. we already established M3's, iS', mtech's, bauers, iX' models are going to fetch more unmolested so that's not what this thread is about. this thread is about e30's in general. and then the person I was responding to, and the one you quoted and agree with, stated that *ANY* 60's muscle car is going to fetch more. Now you're changing the argument. You may not think they are but Motor Trend and any club that categorizes muscle cars *does* consider base models of novas, darts, and cutties "muscle cars." That's the deal. I specifically stated it depends on the model and the person trying to argue that point said that for the record *ANY* model would. But no, I'm the one arguing just to argue even though you all piled on and when shown examples where you're wrong just change what you were saying.
                If I wanted to shut down the conversation I would of just locked the thread...

Also if you was to read what I agreed with about the stock cars I also added in a bit about the modified ones too. And I'm sorry, if motor trend or others are calling base classic cars muscle cars. Cause 69 Dart 270 slantsix as the same class as a 69 Dart GTS 383, that's like saying a 87 325es is in the same class as a 87 M3. Then someone needs their head examined.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Wow..

This non-argument is still going on? Smooth; stop being so pretentious. No one is saying you lowered the value of your car by putting M-Tech II bumpers on it; what everyone is saying is, although the price of your car rose (because of OEM+ modifications), it still won't be worth as much as a real deal retail-tag M-tech II Convertible. An M3 or Alpina clone won't net you the same value as the real deal M3 or Alpina.

What everyone is saying is that if you take an e30 and put a Pepboys body kit all over it; no amount of money invested will make it worth more than a stock e30 of the same year/style. OEM+ is what adds dollar value.

Taking a 40's Chevy truck and ripping out the old engine to put an LS1 in there is the same argument; at one level it's technically "OEM+", but e30s and old 40's trucks are not even on same level. An unmodified m42 318iS or m20 325iS will go for more than a swapped one in the collectors market; they were exclusive, "rarer", "motor-sport bred" models that people have an affinity to, regardless of how little the sport package actually added. I know more people who are willing to shell out the same money for a stock, restored m20 325iS than I know who would buy the same exact 325iS will an s52. However, I also know people who have exclusively looked only for swapped cars; generally the average-joe who wants a cool, fast, S-package e30 and cares little for its collectors value. There are more factors affecting a car's value than just the mods.

Frankly I think we're all being trolled

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                    If I wanted to shut down the conversation I would of just locked the thread...

Also if you was to read what I agreed with about the stock cars I also added in a bit about the modified ones too. And I'm sorry, if motor trend or others are calling base classic cars muscle cars. Cause 69 Dart 270 slantsix as the same class as a 69 Dart GTS 383, that's like saying a 87 325es is in the same class as a 87 M3. Then someone needs their head examined.
                    haha, I liked my Dart with the slant six.. I wish I hadn't swapped it. Oh well, it's probably sitting in a field somewhere rusting anyway. :(
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

haha, I liked my Dart with the slant six.. I wish I hadn't swapped it. Oh well, it's probably sitting in a field somewhere rusting anyway. :(
                      As much as I bag on slantsixs. They do last forever! The one in my 71 Dart I had ran smoot plus the factory ac was ice cold! Although it all got ripped out in favor for a thumping 360 lol. I often wonder where that car went too. It was a factory high impact color (butterscotch).

1992 BMW 325iC
                      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Wow, you're from Bellingham?! I love B-ham very much. I spent all my summers (70's and 80's) on "Alabama Hill" as a kid and swimming at Bloedel Donovan Park. I hope to retire there in my older age, WITH my E30!

Oh, and I'm fine with my M42 tracking gas stations forever like a GEO Metro. Contrary to most beliefs, an M42 will still out drag a Metro! ;D

An E30 is only original once, and I intend to keep mine exactly that. E30 owners, just like E30s, come in all types so remember, we're ALL here because we love the most iconic 3er BMW ever built! #e30life
                        sigpic
                        1991 318is Alpinweiß II M42

2013 VW Golf R Candy White

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."

Comment

Originally posted by sapurvis View Post
                          Wow, you're from Bellingham?! I love B-ham very much. I spent all my summers (70's and 80's) on "Alabama Hill" as a kid and swimming at Bloedel Donovan Park. I hope to retire there in my older age, WITH my E30!

Oh, and I'm fine with my M42 tracking gas stations forever like a GEO Metro. Contrary to most beliefs, an M42 will still out drag a Metro! ;D

An E30 is only original once, and I intend to keep mine exactly that. E30 owners, just like E30s, come in all types so remember, we're ALL here because we love the most iconic 3er BMW ever built! #e30life
                          I said tracking gas prices not tracking gas stations. That means as gas prices go up your car's value goes up and when they fall your car's value will go down a little. But since gas prices always steadily go up so will the m42 value. That's what geo metro prices do. They go up really high during the summer and gas price spikes and come back down a little in winter.

Comment

this thread is depressing
                            My Feedback

Comment

I said tracking gas prices not tracking gas stations. That means as gas prices go up your car's value goes up and when they fall your car's value will go down a little. But since gas prices always steadily go up so will the m42 value. That's what geo metro prices do. They go up really high during the summer and gas price spikes and come back down a little in winter.
                              My bad on the "gas" thing. You're a comical guy. I'm laughing to myself at how you keep comparing an M42 to a Metro where there is NO comparison at all. You must have a "thing" for Metros. Well good for you. Everyone has that dream car they don't really like to tell people about. So you're a Vert guy? A Metro Vert is dead sexy! Ha, ha......

I'm confident the value of my M42 E30 will continue to climb regardless of "gas prices", though again, I don't plan on selling it.
                              sigpic
                              1991 318is Alpinweiß II M42

2013 VW Golf R Candy White

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers."

Comment

I had an autox buddy years ago who had a Suzuki Swift convertable. it was turbo too. basically the same thing as a metro, but with like 30 more HP..
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X