Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restore / build then sell, why?

Hi,

Not sure what the percentage is, but it seems like a fair amount of people spend countless weeks, months, years, restoring their cars only to sell them shortly after they have completed the massive labour of love.

I could be wrong, but I have always looked at this as a read flag when looking for cars to purchase. Why spend so much time and energy in to restoring a car, performing an engine or transmission swap only to sell it soon after and usually sell it for a price lower than just the parts that have been put in not to mention the labour which has great value. Could be the skeptic in me but I automatically think the restore, or swap must have turned out bad, or something has or is about to go wrong from the swap so they want out fast even if they lose money.

If I spent weeks, months, years getting my car to where I wanted it the last thing I would want to do is sell it unless I was in a financial bind and that was my only option, but to just sell it to move on to another car seems very odd.

I guess some people are in it for the journey and not the destination; however, these people must be far and few between, no one likes losing a whole pile of cash and 'wasting' all their time so to me it signals something is not quite right with the build, swap or restore.

Thoughts?

I think there are a few different scenarios with swap cars.

Sometimes swap cars end up costing the owner a lot more than they bargained for, putting them into debt to get it running properly. A swap that doesn't run is worth quite a bit less than one that does.

Some swaps are done purely for a "flip". This isn't as common any more, but maybe 10 years ago people paid a premium for swapped cars, much more than the sum of the parts, because the knowledge wasn't nearly as well-documented as it is today.

That said, I wouldn't want to sell a swap right after finishing it either. It takes quite a bit of labor not only to swap a car, but also to ensure the suspension is in fully working order. I'd like to enjoy that fresh feeling E30 for a while, quite frankly.

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

People get bored of cars.

Comment

Some people enjoy the build more than the finished product.

Comment

The party is over after you finish the car.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
            This. Just like any other form of entertainment, hobbies (the act of building the car) cost money. Some people make out when they sell, others take a loss. Either way, you have spending cash for the next canvas you choose.
            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

and for some of us, there's no such thing as a finished product ;)

--sent from my igloo via carrier penguin
              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

this

i got my swap car by trading a stock 318i basically because the P.O was sick of dumping money into it. 3 grand later i got it running to full potential and its still not "done" to the way i want it.

i have no idea what i am doing with my life

Comment

When some builds drag on for a long time, interests change and its better to sell and start over fresh than rip apart that car you just spent a year to build.

My buddy just finished building a show/cruise car and now he wants a track car. Time to start over.
                  Last edited by _JohnnyD_; 05-24-2014, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
                    and for some of us, there's no such thing as a finished product ;)

--sent from my igloo via carrier penguin
                    Agreed, some things can always be better!
                    IG- nv_e30

Comment

I've been guilty of this. Had a Honda CBR900RR. Put a later model front fork on it, Rc51 SP-1 front wheel, later model upper fairing, gauges, headlights, etc. Worked great, but when it was done, I had lost interest in it. The build was what held my interest with that vehicle.

Now, my track car? NEVER getting rid of that. That car is mine forever, after working on her for the past 3 years
                      Originally posted by LJ851
                      kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                      ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                      #teamross
                      Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Putting 6k into my 1.5k e30... Will I ever see the sale price of 7.5 when i'm done.... idk.
                        Will have fresh paint job all around by a very reputable shop.
                        New suspension all around, bushings, control arms, etc...
                        All new exterior lights,
                        Set of BBS 16's with 3 inch lip.
                        New front seats.
                        Few other little bells and whistles.

Is Cirrus a popular color?

Comment

Peoples lives and interests change. Many reasons have been stated, all valid.
                          My Allrad Blog

Comment

Originally posted by R1ckM View Post
                            Is Cirrus a popular color?
                            Love me some Cirrus. LOVE.

Comment

My car is also Cirrus - love the colour. Get many compliments on the colour from others too.
                              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Working...
                              X