E30 acceleration stats? help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 acceleration stats? help

Hello, does anybody happen to know the acceleration stats for a stock 325i?
    Also, if there are any mathematicians that could find out how long it would take to get from 25mph to 40mph, please let me know.

Also, does anybody happen to know how long a stoplight stays yellow before turning red? It's probably different depending on the area, but it's worth a shot.

Basicly, I want to be able to prove that it is NOT possible to be driving at 25mph, and accelerate to 40mph during a yellow light in a stock e30.
    Thanks

-Erik

My brain hurts.
    Trevor Ely
    '95 M Sport 540i - '00 A4 1.8TQMS - '85 190E 2.3-16
    '88 535is - '87 325e - '89 325is - '91 318is - '90 325is - '96 328is

Comment

did you get a ticket or something? you could try to find a old car and driver article on google and see the times from 10,20,30,40,50,60,70 and so on. If you find this its prrobly better for you because im sure the car was a little faster when it was new, plus it was a expert driver for that magazine.

Comment

Im pretty sure if you find a 325 manual that came in the glove boxes... it will have it. I think mine did. but is for an eta

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by tjmonsen5
          did you get a ticket or something? you could try to find a old car and driver article on google and see the times from 10,20,30,40,50,60,70 and so on. If you find this its prrobly better for you because im sure the car was a little faster when it was new, plus it was a expert driver for that magazine.
          Yes, I will be fighting my ticket tomorrow morning. I will try to find some old articles to help out my research.

And for everyone who is just going to say, "you got a ticket, now pay the price", I am fighting this ticket because I did not deserve this ticket. The cop simply lied.

Any more help is greatly appreciated.

-Erik

Comment

Good luck dude. I got a ticket i have to pay comming up....

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

www.strictlyeta.net this will have some info you might need.

Comment

Dude, the cop lied, now you have to pay the price. Don't come whining to us.

;)

'88 325is
                VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                BMWCCA 380364

Comment

go and time the light. some are shorter than others.

Comment

Originally posted by BENdashdash
                    go and time the light. some are shorter than others.
                    yeah it depends on the light. some lights have like a 3second yellow, i have seen some with like a 1sec or less yellow...
                    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

In California, the yellow light stays yellow before red for 1 sec per 10mph on the speed limit. For example, if the speed limit on that street is 60, the stop light stays yellow for 6 seconds before changing to red. At least this is what I've been told.

Oh, and that situation sucks. I went through almost the exact same thing a couple years ago. I tried fighting a street racing ticket. I proved mathematically that my car could make it farther than I had gone if I was full throttle. I also proved that my car would not be able to burn out standing still at a red light due to the fact that it was an auto and didnt have enough power (thats what he said.. "the air was filled with smoke from the defendant sitting at the red light burning out, thats what caught my attention") . I lost the case unfortunately, the cop straight up lied in court too. He said that I told him i was sorry and that I did race the other car that night I was pulled over. That rules as a confession and makes anything I had said that day not matter. BS.

Hope that was raining on your parade, good luck.
                      Last edited by adept; 04-24-2006, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Alright, I found some old Car & Driver articles on Fred's site (strictlyeta.net) that contained some acceleration stats.

0-30 = 2.4 seconds
                        0-40 = 3.7 seconds

So, I figured out that going from 30-40 takes 1.3 seconds, so 25-40 would be somewhere between 1.3 and 3.7 seconds, but does anybody have a more accurate estimation?

-Erik

Comment

The most accurate way would be go time the exact yellow light in question 10 times and average it...

Go time your car from 25 to 40 ten times and average it...of course without breaking the law...
                          sigpic
                          "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by adept
                            In California, the yellow light stays yellow before red for 1 sec per 10mph on the speed limit. For example, if the speed limit on that street is 60, the stop light stays yellow for 6 seconds before changing to red. At least this is what I've been told.

Oh, and that situation sucks. I went through almost the exact same thing a couple years ago. I tried fighting a street racing ticket. I proved mathematically that my car could make it farther than I had gone if I was full throttle. I also proved that my car would not be able to burn out standing still at a red light due to the fact that it was an auto and didnt have enough power. I lost the case unfortunately, the cop straight up lied in court too. He said that I told him i was sorry and that I did race the other car that night I was pulled over. That rules as a confession and makes anything I had said that day not matter. BS.

Hope that was raining on your parade, good luck.
                            Cool, that's good to know. So, for a 25 mph speed limit the light should stay yellow for 2.5 seconds? Sounds about right, but I should probably double check tomorrow morning before court.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
                              Cool, that's good to know. So, for a 25 mph speed limit the light should stay yellow for 2.5 seconds? Sounds about right, but I should probably double check tomorrow morning before court.

-Erik
                              Yah it wouldn't be a bad idea to go find out for sure and time it with a stop watch, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X