Dealing with Auto Addiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with Auto Addiction

My name is Kai and I am addicted to buying old cars.

Honestly though, I own three vehicles and plan to buy two more in the near future. The real problem is that I don't want to get rid of any, at least not for a while.

Anyone else deal with car addiction?
    Different strokes for different folks.

I very reluctantly decided NOT to buy a 74 2002 yesterday. Its a rough life turning down deals.
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Having money to buy more cars isn't a problem. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing unless you live in a cardboard box

Comment

Originally posted by adonwilson View Post
        Having money to buy more cars isn't a problem. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing unless you live in a cardboard box
        If you're buying cars and living in a cardboard box you need to look into just living in one of the cars, or a different one each night.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
          If you're buying cars and living in a cardboard box you need to look into just living in one of the cars, or a different one each night.
          lol very true

Comment

I'm at the point where I'm thinking about just living out of a warehouse...

Comment

My front living room/game room in my house is turning into a storage unit for parts and the wife is not happy.:( ...................the garage is already full.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

I feel you. I have 6, including two that will probably end up scrapped... and a parts car on top of that... and a mountain of parts that I really need to start thinning out. Ideally, I'd like to have no more than 3, but I know that's not gonna happen, and I want to add a Miata or an S2000 to the collection. And to make matters worse, 2 of the 6 are major projects. FML.

Comment

After getting in way over my head, I told myself : 1 project and 1 driver. techinically the E30 is my driver, but it is currently getting the most work done on it and the project is a long term one, so I am fighting the urge to get something that is more of a legitimate project...
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

It's easy to justify the ones I have now. E30 is DD, 4Runner is backup and for adventure, Z is project. But, I'm planning on adding an early beetle and Studebaker truck to the collection. Only justification is that they're awesome.

Comment

I think one dd & one project at a time is normal for the average Joe. Between my DD (the e30) and my project ('68 P912) there's no time to spare! Probably because any 25 year old vehicle like ours should be considered a light project anyways.

Anything more than 3 is pushing it. Old cars take a llooooong time and money to maintain properly.

Ryan

Comment

I have 4 e30's and 1 e34 and 1 e36 and besides that a 2001 Sequoia and a 2013 kia optima sxl lol Whew !!!!......... And they all run and drive except 1 of the e30's(5.0 swap in progress).
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by Threehz View Post
                          It's easy to justify the ones I have now. E30 is DD, 4Runner is backup and for adventure, Z is project. But, I'm planning on adding an early beetle and Studebaker truck to the collection. Only justification is that they're awesome.
                          Look at how you just worderd this. "Collection" my brother. Addiction is when you would sell both kidney and a lung to fed the habit. Is Mr leno a collector or addict? I say, collector. I have 3 BMWs in my collection. I would like to add a bug to the collection. And I still have all my organs.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            After getting in way over my head, I told myself : 1 project and 1 driver. techinically the E30 is my driver, but it is currently getting the most work done on it and the project is a long term one, so I am fighting the urge to get something that is more of a legitimate project...
                            I got waayy in over my head on my first project car. I got a '76 280Z when I was 16. I immediately tore it down, realized I bit off way more than I could chew, and it's been sitting in a barn ever since... driver's side rocker needs to be replaced, plus some other rust repair. I wanna get started on that again soon after I take care of a few things on the E30. My other big project is a '53 CJ3B. It sat in my neighbors yard for just under 30 years... it's in awful shape, but I don't want to scrap it.

I also have an '86 Jetta that needs a little work, but it's currently my DD, a '71 240z that I'll probably scrap, and my parent's '78 280z. It needs tons of work, and I'm not sure it's worth it, not to mention I don't know that I really want to bother fixing it, on top of all my other projects. Scrapping that one will hurt though, since that's the first car I fell in love with.

I'd like to have just my E30 and my Z, but I won't drive those in NJ winters, so there needs to be a third.

Comment

I want a Z. Give one to me.
                              My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                              X