Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever sell your E30 for an E46 M3? Are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have owned five E30's prior to owning two E46 M3's. Thankfully I was able to keep my 1990 325is when I purchased my 6 speed 2004 M3 with 140,000 miles. I sold that M3 to my friend when I stumbled across a crazy deal on a 2003 M3 SMG with 34,000 miles.

I loved E46 M3's since they came out but was never able to afford one till last year. When I bought the first and subsequently the second E46 M3, I totally neglected my 1990 325is in my parents back yard for MONTHS. I drove the E46 M3 and loved every second of it. It was properly quick, the engine is a dream, the ride if firm but comfortable, the looks are timeless, ect ect ect. It was the first time I had owned a "new"-ish car and it was great. Well, the SMG car was rear ended a couple months ago and I was forced to polish up the 1990 325is and drive it.

I forgot how great the E30 is! I'm loving driving it every day now. It's such a great cruiser and the look and feel is so 80's, it's awesome. On top of that I am enjoying the cheaper insurance, the cheaper prices on parts, and noticing I'm not at the gas pump as much as I was with the E46 M3. Those S54's just are dying to be revved to 8,000 rpm. I did it everyday!

Simply put, both cars are great in their own ways. Don't knock it till you try it. True story, I would've never bought an SMG car because of all the problems you hear with them. But because it was a deal I couldn't pass up, I bought it and learned to really love the SMG just as much as the 6 speed manual M3 I previously owned. I don't know about any of you, but I can tell that both cars share a distant but similar character about them. The difference for me is the E30 is a great cruiser and the E46 M3 is a proper sports car. Never had any regrets owning and driving either car. And as with all automobiles, try to purchase a car that has been well maintained. That will allow you to enjoy it with far less headaches.

Hopefully that all makes sense. Either way, you can't go wrong!
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Natur

Comment

I like a bit of pep, so if it were a stock m20 e30 that is something I would look to either upgrade from, or upgrade the powerplant and brakes.

Personally, i went euro s50b30 e30 -> e36m3/4/5 -> e39m5.

The e36 was great. More luxurious, not as quick but certainly more refined. I'd certainly wonder if it weren't faster around a track with the updated rear suspension, though the e36 did have more power and lighter weight. It didn't really feel fast enough, but then again what really does once you get used to it. The car was stock power wise besides a dme reflash.

The m5 was a blast. Big, raw, linear power. Also a big package, weighed in at a hefty 4,000 lbs. Even more luxurious, though a lot of it was things I don't need. The gas mileage was awful (13mpg average, 21 if I babied it but even then it soon sunk down to 17-19). Though the euro s50 car only got 17 average, 23 hwy.

I sold the m5 because it was too large, and too bad on fuel. It wasn't a daily for me, and I figured if I just wanted a sunday cruiser I'd get something more nimble.

My love affair with e30's has kept them in my eye the whole time. I've had a ton, some were quite memorable. My dream is to find an e30m3 with a blown-up s14 for ~$12k and do a 2.5 build.

If I can't swing that, I will have a hard time deciding whether to swap another e30 chassis with an s5x motor, or just buy an e46m3. The e36 is appealing to me again, as it gets older the vintage appeal increases. I'm an old-car guy at heart I guess. Though a swapped e30 does look better, and feels more fun to drive. Then again an e46 is sort of getting some vintage to it, and both e36 and e46 m3's need much less work than swapping an e30.

Basically, I am also in the same conundrum ha!
      Originally posted by blunt
      can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

the seats are stupid in e46m3.... other than that, with coils its a fun car to drive.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I was looking into e46 m3's a few months ago. The s54 is great and aesthetically I think the car is wonderful, but I feel that the e39 m5 is a better buy and that's what I went with. The e46 interior feels very cheap compared to the m5 in my opinion, and the s62 is a lot more fun on the street. I think an e46 m3 with an s62 and a nicer interior would be a pretty fantastic automobile.
          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

got a thumbs up from an e46 owner today, he looked so jelly

Comment

I daily drive a 2000 323ci right now, and I see what you mean about the cheap interior. As a matter of fact I just reglued the A and C Pillars after they fell.
              I wouldn't have an E46 M as a DD, I have other cars for DD duty.
              I will get my current one buttoned up and go from there.
              Thank you all for sharing and continuing to share your experiences and thoughts!

Comment

Been contemplating an e46 330i as a daily, but in reality the e30 is fine as a DD.

Our domestic RWD sedans are a bit hard to go past for slightly sporty DD duties - A Holden Commodore with a 6.0L LS2 (ie. the short lived Pontiac G8 ) fits the bill nicely, or a Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo - very similar underneath to the 2015 Mustang, but with 4.0L turbo inline 6.
                Last edited by lukeADE335i; 03-10-2015, 12:05 AM.
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
                  I daily drive a 2000 323ci right now, and I see what you mean about the cheap interior. As a matter of fact I just reglued the A and C Pillars after they fell.
                  I wouldn't have an E46 M as a DD, I have other cars for DD duty.
                  I will get my current one buttoned up and go from there.
                  Thank you all for sharing and continuing to share your experiences and thoughts!
                  If you're not planning to DD it, keep the E30 turbo. That's what I'd do. I am limited by the number of cars I can keep in active service so I wanted something that was fun, nimble but still comfortable enough to drive long distances and to work every day. It's a blast driving a quick car every day, I found in my Jetta that I usually was like "if only I was driving my fun car for this stretch...."

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I sold my 05 Slicktop 6SP Manual Seats Alpine/Black M3 to purchase my E30 M3.

Let's just say, I just purchased another slicktop 04 M3 6speed.

Purchased the E30 because I knew prices were shooting up. Waited for prices to drop on E46 and purchased once they did.
                    90 Alpine M3 | 90 Brilliantrot M3 | 85 Alpine 520i

Comment

I think an e46 zhp or M will be my next car... I've wanted an M since they were new at least...

My mom had a e46 325 sport pack and I loved that car, so easy to drive and classy. A Zhp would be awesome.
                      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                      Originally posted by roguetoaster
                      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

I sold my E46 M3 last summer to get my s52 E30 and thinking back, I really miss the e46. It was super comfortable, the engine was godly, and less stuff broke surprisingly, granted when they broke it was much more expensive. BUT, I love the e30 way more. It has its quirks, it has its beastly character, and it has its just absolute timeless looks. Great handling too obviously. So I guess I would have to go with no matter what you're not going to really make a wrong decision.

Comment

The only way I would go for a newer BMW (e46 M3 included) is if I can keep my e30 and just add the newer BMW to my collection. I currently have a 1990 325i (3rd e30 out of 4, only one I have kept) and a N54 135i. I love both cars but push come to shove I would keep the e30 over the 135i without question. I have driven a few different BMWs from different series/generations and the e30 to me still has that right amount of rawness/ connection that most newer BMWs don't seem to offer while still being comfortable enough for a cross country road trip.
                          1990 325i 5spd
                          09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Comment

Originally posted by Helltime View Post
                            I have driven a few different BMWs from different series/generations and the e30 to me still has that right amount of rawness/ connection that most newer BMWs don't seem to offer while still being comfortable enough for a cross country road trip.
                            Sweet freak of Mozambique! you'd drive that thing across country?!?!?

I'd much rather get a comfier, newer BMW for such an adventure.
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                              I was looking into e46 m3's a few months ago. The s54 is great and aesthetically I think the car is wonderful, but I feel that the e39 m5 is a better buy and that's what I went with. The e46 interior feels very cheap compared to the m5 in my opinion, and the s62 is a lot more fun on the street. I think an e46 m3 with an s62 and a nicer interior would be a pretty fantastic automobile.

So you want a Hartge H50?
                              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
                              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                                So you want a Hartge H50?
                                he's not the only one.;D

Originally posted by blunttech
                                Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Working...
                                X