The Welding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing a bit of welding myself

LS1 TB flange on an m30 intake. really found the limit of my machine on this even with significant pre-heating. Little tip....don;t pre-heat old intakes in your wives oven.

this is a dual coolant/catch can setup I did for an e28. all the fittings are internally welded.

Custom Porsche 930 turbo exhaust

(I did not make the twin tips......)

Some vband welds on a custom exhaust system

Catch can for my e30

Surge tank I build for Franks 600hp m20

Custom coolant tank for my e30

Valve cover for my m20 (filled old vent location and internally welded new fittings.)

And some none welding projects I've done

Custom velocity stacks for a Porsche 356 and 912

new custom m20 exhaust flanges I designed and had 3d printed to test fit.

And.......my pet snail.

Thanks all for now.
    sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Awesome stuff man, did you put the TB on the other side of the M30 manifold?

Also, where do you get the little bungs for those tanks & how do you know the level of your liquid in a solid container?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
        Awesome stuff man, did you put the TB on the other side of the M30 manifold?Yeah we flipped the TB so its on the "backside" of the intake manifold. Makes it a lot easier to run intercooler piping.

Also, where do you get the little bungs for those tanks & how do you know the level of your liquid in a solid container?There are a lot of places to get the bungs but I like to use www.turboflanges.com, they make solid stuff and the quality is really good. Pure intuition in the fluids ;)

sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Well guys, after working at Airgas for 8 years, I finally ponied up and got myself some welders. Lincoln was running a deal, Power MIG 210MP and the Square Wave TIG 200, both for $2599.00 and you get a $599.00 rebate check. Both welders for $2000.00, how could I say no?!

-Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

whoa!

Comment

I've really wanted to learn to weld/fabricate for a good 15 years now, what is the best way for a beginner to get started? I don't have a garage or money to buy my own welder. I looked into classes but they want to teach you to be some industrial welder and you have to buy steel toe boots and all that and it seems to be in a different direction than I am looking for. Trying to find something I can use as a career, since I'm old and still trying to figure out an adult job, is there anything I can do or am I barking up the wrong tree?
              sigpic
              1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

I went to my community college to learn because I've wanted to learn for the last 15 year. We didn't have to buy steel toes, just leather (not tennis shoes) and I just used an old pair of military boots. You could get away with grabbing some for $10 from a military surplus store in your area.

With that said, the initial purchase of jacket/gloves/helmet etc is a bit spendy at first for the first semester, but that $400 investment has lasted me 4 years of school/hobby welding and I don't need replacements any time soon.

Comment

^^Yep, plop down that $400 or look for used stuff. Community college is a great place to get started.

Most people think you just need a welder and instruction book and boom your a weldor but, it take a considerable amount of time and dedication to get good.

If you do take the a class Enjoy and learn all the different welders even gas and stick welding. You may not want to build skyscrapers but, the skills do transfer.
                  HIK Fab

Comment

Some gifts I made for the wife and daughter.

john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I've been practicing aluminum with my tig a lot lately. The other weekend I blew a hole through the case in my quad when the chain came off. Though it would be a good chance to play wity some dirty cast aluminum. Definitely not show quality welds but turned out half decent and had been working good so far. Hopefully I'll be ready to weld up a Franken pan for the ix soon haha.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Anyone get a chance to check out the Lincoln 4c lens yet?

Taking a class right now for Tig stainless/aluminum.

Instructor let me try it out. I'm sold, it's like you are just looking through a window.

Can be had for ~$200 on Amazon.
                        No E30 Club
                        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Ill have to check that out, ive always used a miller hood and really liked it, its about the same price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

No E30 Club
                            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I need a Tig welder.... At this point I was 4 hours in. Never really messed with it before, but I'm AWS certified for stick/mig so I'm sure that experience helped quite a bit with this.

Tomorrow is aluminum. I really look forward to that, and expect a bit more of a challenge.
                              No E30 Club

Comment

Aluminum is a lot of fun it can get frustrating when the puddle gets dirty because prep work is 10x more important, But aluminum wets out so nice when you get the right rythem. Those look pretty good so far, it's like an addiction and now your trapped for life haha.

Here's a few projects I've been working on lately. I dont ever consider myself an "Internet welder" but I can get metal to stick together [emoji23]
                                Manifold for a members ix

And an intake I built over the winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                                X