The Welding Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red2.4srt View Post
    That's a great idea as well, most places wont take competitor cylinders as they could be potential lease/rental cylinders and they rightfully can't refill them since they aren't their property. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I see plenty of Prax cylinders with our fill labels on them and vice versa.

I generally try to get my customers to swap their customer owned cylinders to keep them from paying any test fees. They still own that asset, but only pay for the fill and they'll never have to worry about retesting since they're getting circulated cylinders everytime.

They do rarely fail but boy do they raise some hell when they do. We had the bottom of a 60cf AR/CD mix fail at 1600psi while filling and it knocked the other 27 cylinders down it was filling next to, put a 3 foot wide hole in a metal deck roof and finally landed 75 yards into the next property, buried valve down and a foot deep in the ground. Single loudest noise i've ever heard in my 28 years on earth.
    Ahhh holy shit!

That's certainly a viable option and it's a damn good price too!
    I am trying to get the guy to sell me one. I know its a good price. They both need hydro testing. But even then, cheaper than buying a tank outright.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

I can get a 300 filled for about $65. I do a lot of welding that includes a decent amount of back purging. They seam to last quite awhile. Get yourself a nice long gas hose and chain that thing in the corner!
      sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
        I can get a 300 filled for about $65. I do a lot of welding that includes a decent amount of back purging. They seam to last quite awhile. Get yourself a nice long gas hose and chain that thing in the corner!
        LOL, I know they are heavy fookers.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Anyone seen the new multi process welders from Lincoln and Thermalarc/Tweco?

I am pretty sure I will be buying the lincoln one to replace my thermalarc fabricator 140. They seem to be inverter welders rather than transformer welders. Decent price, dual input voltages 110/220, and there is a TIG option.

1990 BMW 325is 5spd Black
          2005 Subaru Impreza 5spd
          2015 Yamaha FZ-07

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
            its all in what you get used to i guess, but i don't think i would be able to get used to that. i have an older auto dimming hood. every now and then i buy a new clear lens cover for it and put a new aaa battery in the holder. i have the friction set so i can just give my head a quick nod downward and it lowers itself into position perfectly so i can start welding without disturbing my position.

i think the mask above is really cool, but i couldn't imagine getting it in place and then attempting to get yourself back in position while trying to tig something.
            They come with auto dimming windows in them and you change the clear shield through a little slot on the side of the window on the front side, in about 13 seconds. If you find one that does not, then you can add a Arc one Pro for about 120 bucks. No need to nod it down, its already there and like I said not near as bulky hot or cumbersome to use especially in tight spaces.

Too each their own though I have an older miller and H/F gain scoops with auto glass around as well someplace but will never use them again

Pancake in action lol Another buddy of mine sticking a thread O-let on a pipeline valve riser assembly someplace in WV a couple of years ago

P2150805 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

P2150802 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
            Last edited by mrsleeve; 03-24-2015, 06:28 PM.
            Originally posted by Fusion
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

Originally posted by ravenlord89 View Post
              Anyone seen the new multi process welders from Lincoln and Thermalarc/Tweco?

I am pretty sure I will be buying the lincoln one to replace my thermalarc fabricator 140. They seem to be inverter welders rather than transformer welders. Decent price, dual input voltages 110/220, and there is a TIG option.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-ca...olnElectric%29
              IMO, get the 210. It's money. I shy away from Thermalarc, especially now that Esab bought Thermadyne/Victor/Thermal Dynamics/Turbo Torch etc. I can't stand Esab, they're such a fly by night operation in all my dealings with them.
              -Todd

Current: 1991 Diamantschwarz Metallic 318is

Gone: 2004 Flame Red Neon SRT-4

Comment

Lol you guys would laugh at me if I show you guys my welds with my harbor freight welder.

Comment

Supposedly I am buying the 300 off that guy for $50 tomorrow. Thankful for the lower entry point to TIG welding.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                    They come with auto dimming windows in them and you change the clear shield through a little slot on the side of the window on the front side, in about 13 seconds. If you find one that does not, then you can add a Arc one Pro for about 120 bucks. No need to nod it down, its already there and like I said not near as bulky hot or cumbersome to use especially in tight spaces.

Too each their own though I have an older miller and H/F gain scoops with auto glass around as well someplace but will never use them again

Pancake in action lol Another buddy of mine sticking a thread O-let on a pipeline valve riser assembly someplace in WV a couple of years ago

P2150805 by mrsleeve, on Flickr

P2150802 by mrsleeve, on Flickr
                    Are they hardhat friendly? I loved my pipeliner when I was wearing a hardhat, thing sucked nice and close to my face so I didn't get a lot of strain on my neck. I'm assuming thats fiberglass, it probably weighs nothing!

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                    Supposedly I am buying the 300 off that guy for $50 tomorrow. Thankful for the lower entry point to TIG welding.
                    That's a smoking deal man. Even if you have to pay testing fees you'll be into a full 300 for less than that 125 you were looking at.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                      you are crazy to not buy both at that price. you will never find them cheaper than this.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Alright. I will get both. Maybe I can sell one of them.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Or drive one to Nebraska....
                          sigpic

Comment

Or drive one to Nebraska....
                            Road trip!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Hard to leave this for Nebraska at the moment.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

i get my tanks filled at airgas. one day several years ago i walked in there with a cylinder or two on my way to work. i was wearing my pilot uniform and the salesman started shooting the breeze with me about aviation. ever since, they have been selling me gas at the same rate they sell to the oil refineries in the area. its been a while since i had one filled, but i think the last time i had a big one that size filled with argon, i paid less than 30 bucks. i have a big tank that i get filled with nitrogen to run my old plasma cutter. the last time i had that one filled i think it was 7 or 8 bucks.
                                sigpic
                                Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                                92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                                88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                                88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                                87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                                12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Working...
                                X