Rant: doing shit properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant: doing shit properly

Background: My brakes are worn. Rotors were almost gone and so were pads.
    Bought slotted rotors and new pads for all four corners.

Today I start doing the work. Wheel off, caliper off, all going swimmingly. Old rotor off... What's this? The bolt that holds the rotor on looks a tad funny. And it's a different size.

So I put the new rotor on, and lo and behold the locating bolt doesn't sit properly under the surface of the rotor. So the wheel doesn't sit flat.

I then compared it to the locating bolt of the other side.
    It's a totally different size.

What the previous owner has done, is stripped out the bolt, found one the same thread but 6mm instead of 5mm, and just ground down the head of it so that it fits. But it only fits the stock rotors, and it's just shit.

So people. There might be some of you reading this that try to half-ass stuff.
    Please fucking don't.
    I don't care if you're flat stony broke. Do not kludge stuff like this as it will just bite you, or the next owner, in the ass.
    If you're going to do something, take your time, make sure everything is clean and done properly.
    I've had to deal with shit like this with everything that I do on the car and it's just painful. Hopefully I'll be able to get it to my standards at some point, but god damn.

It also goes to show why you buy a car from someone who takes care of it.
    sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

My car's seat belt receptacle wasn't bolted in to the seat when I bought it (don't ask me why) so the po's solution was to wrap the seat belt around the hand brake. Took me about an hour to fix it, including driving to the hardware store.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I'm honestly not sure how people strip those out so often, maybe they are trying to use L-drivers or something. they aren't even supposed to be that tight, its just there keep the rotor seated when you take the wheels off
      88 325is Five Speed
      Lachssilber

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
        I'm honestly not sure how people strip those out so often, maybe they are trying to use L-drivers or something. they aren't even supposed to be that tight, its just there keep the rotor seated when you take the wheels off
        Its not specifically their fault. moisture gets in there and they seize up. Set Screws as we call them seize all the time. They're not even really *that* important, but I've never let a car leave the shop without them being in/correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
          My car's seat belt receptacle wasn't bolted in to the seat when I bought it (don't ask me why) so the po's solution was to wrap the seat belt around the hand brake. Took me about an hour to fix it, including driving to the hardware store.
          I've had to deal with a lot of stuff like that. Even just simple maintenance things, like the balljoints in the control arms were totally stuffed. Changing arms takes 15 minutes. Nope, too much effort.
          At least I now know a lot about doing things to E30s.

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken View Post
          It'd be easy if you use actual allen key L ones, yeah. I've done it.
          But the difference is that if I do it and strip it, I replace the bolt.
          Not had a problem after getting correct tools though.
          sigpic

Comment

And now while trying to separate the front brake lines the fitting on the hard line has stripped. Brilliant. That's going to be nice and easy to fix I bet.
            Still haven't split them either.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rook12V View Post
              Its not specifically their fault. moisture gets in there and they seize up. Set Screws as we call them seize all the time. They're not even really *that* important, but I've never let a car leave the shop without them being in/correct.
              Is what anti-seize is for.

Doing a proper job means using the proper "tools"
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                And now while trying to separate the front brake lines the fitting on the hard line has stripped. Brilliant. That's going to be nice and easy to fix I bet.
                Still haven't split them either.

Snap-on (or other QUALITY brand) flare nut wrench.

If that doesn't work, put some Vise-grips on the flare nut wrench to keep them from spreading.

If that fails.....fuggit, use Vise-grips on the nut. Going to have to replace shit then anyways.

Comment

Consume these and it won't really matter as much mate......
                  sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by Rook12V View Post
                    then use copper anti seize. they will never rust or seize up if prepped right and not tightened too much. all you need is your pinky finger to get them snug enough.

also, those bolts cost like 15 cents. lol.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post

Consume these and it won't really matter as much mate......
                      2012 Oil Can Breweries, Ft. Worth, TX

Mate ;)

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                        2012 Oil Can Breweries, Ft. Worth, TX

Mate ;)
                        Shut up before I mate you right in the ass.
                        sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by IronFreak View Post
                          Shut up before I mate you right in the ass.
                          As long as Blunt will be there....

Comment

Yes - I was just going to comment - get another bolt. Although if the thread is stripped in the hub, which I presume it is since the PO went for a bigger bolt, then it's probably a good excuse to replace the front hubs and wheel bearings. Might as well fix the problem right this time around (although personally, I'd go to a fasteners joint and get another 6mm bolt with the correct size head rather than doing something dodgy - will cost 30 cents vs. over $100 for new hubs!)

LOL on the Fosters pic... you can't actually buy it down here, despite being the 'Aussie' beer :)
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

So you gonna start paying for my car repairs?
                              Last edited by Dirty325ix; 04-29-2015, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X