how could speed limits be reformed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how could speed limits be reformed?

I know driving slow is safe, and that there are unexpected things on the road. At other times, on bigger roads, they seem just wrong at times. How would you guys solve the problem of getting pulled for like 12 over in a small lightweight easy to drive sports car? I've been thinking about how big big industrial trucks have the same speed limits, and there could be a way where if a driver can prove his ability somehow, and their car can adequately brake/ handle that there should be like 5mph exemptions or something? Like in our cooper S, if there was a test that showed I could react in X amount of time, and brake in X amount of time to problems on the road, that the speed limits would be "raised" for me in that car? I don't think this will ever happen but I think it's an interesting thought. How would you guys make it so you can use your performance car like it should be more often?
    BMW tech
    Umass Amherst
    05 wrx sti

As much as I would love to do over 65 on freeways or 40 on streets, there are too many stupid drivers in SoCal; I'd rather maintain the limits. Maybe have stricter driving tests to get your license? It seems too many people on the road lack common sense.
    87 ETA | Hibernating

Comment

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Less people should have that privilege.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

i'm not exactly sure where i stand on increasing the speed limit for skilled drivers, but i can say decreasing the speed limit for shit drivers (or confining them to the right lane) would be an interesting idea

Comment

Originally posted by e30Villain View Post
          As much as I would love to do over 65 on freeways or 40 on streets, there are too many stupid drivers in SoCal; I'd rather maintain the limits. Maybe have stricter driving tests to get your license? It seems too many people on the road lack common sense.
          Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
          Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Less people should have that privilege.
          This. You should have to understand how your equipment works, not just how to operate it. I feel like drivers ed should make you test the limits of your car so you know exactly what not to do and also teach you how handle the car in varying situations such as under/oversteer and what not.

Also you should know the mechanics of the engine so people wont just blindly drive cars until they break.
          -Current-
          90 325i Coupe - Alpinaweiß II
          -Previous-
          92 525i 5speed Touring - Diamantschwarz Metallic
          03 540i Msport 6 Speed - Sterling Grau Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by peetiewonder View Post
            Also you should know the mechanics of the engine so people wont just blindly drive cars until they break.
            Meh, this helps make me money.

...but I'm all for improving driver's ed.

Also, STRICT enforcement of left lane passing rules.

...and less trucks. Trains should be carrying cargo across the country...not trucks.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Would rather have the roads repaired properly in taxachusetts than increase speeds. People routinely drive 10-15 over the limit and I see too many accidents due to stupidity.

Swerve to avoid a hole in the road vs brake. The swerve across the double yellow causes issues now both directions. Not yielding to an obstruction in your lane ie the mailman or so forth, another I'm just going to cross the line and who cares about the other path of traffic.

I'm all for stricter enforcement. If the revenue went to proper use.

I have a college in my town, the roads leading to school are a war zone of reckless driving because members leave late and say will make up time by speeding. I don't understand why the town does not just set up random speed traps on the 5 roads into town.

That being said I just purchased a house further out in the country to get away from the noise.

Want to drive fast? Do it in a controlled atmosphere....We have two new track in vicinity of Mass now. Palmer Motorsports and Thompson raceway. Plus Lime Rock and the NHIS and the future track opening in the White Mountains
              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Speed? So much to it.....

Enforce impairment and attack inexperience. That is what kills folks.

Wonderful read on the topic of why we drive the way we do:

ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

No issues on my end. My commute consists of 90% 70mph speed limits, I've passed a few cops running radar doing 80mph without a second glance.

But yes, I think the issue is more poor drivers than speed. Drive right, pass left, biggest issue I see. Then the idiots who are impatient and gang bang the right side of a truck attempting to move back over only makes it worse.
                  No E30 Club
                  Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                  Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

I have found the 99% of the people in New England blatantly ignore the speed limits, and do so driving horribly assholish and with pretty much zero regard to double yellow lines (ESPECIALLY TRUE IN THE PHILLY AREA), right of ways, and WORK ZONES (If you speed in a work zone with people working in it, I have half a mind to rip you out of your car and throw you next to speeding traffic, IDGAF if that work zone is 25 in a normally 80).

Cali is even worse.

Therefore, leave New England, enjoy faster speed limits, and realize that you very well might be an asshole driver.

EDIT: In a lot places, trucks have separate speed limits. Such as this.

Most of the speed limits are fine too. The places where they really need to be high, they are. (Utah, Nevada, Texas, etc). Those big expanses are 80+ and aren't all that enforced. I set the cruise at 110 in the E30 going across texas and was occasionally getting passed by semis, which is pretty terrifying.

Would I love an autobahn style interstate system? Of course!
                    Would it really work in America? Not without a MUCH more intensive drivers safety/learning system. And not for many years after that's been instated.
                    Last edited by TurboJake; 05-07-2015, 11:46 AM.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by TurboJake View Post
                      Would I love an autobahn style interstate system? Of course!
                      Would it really work in America? Not without a MUCH more intensive drivers safety/learning system. And not for many years after that's been instated.
                      This is really what it boils down to. This country is just too large and spread out and relies too much on the fact that almost everyone must drive out of necessity regardless of ability or desire. As much as I disagree with how easy it is to get a license in this country, there's a valid reason behind it.

And getting passed at 110 by a semi? I have a hard time believing that a) a truck that big can even go over twice the speed it was designed to cruise at, and b) that a driver would risk his career by going that damn fast. But at the same time, I've heard plenty of stories of truckers driving across states blackout drunk so maybe I shouldn't underestimate peoples' irresponsibility.
                      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

I've always thought it would be cool if you could take driving classes that counted towards getting a "performance" or advanced driving license. Take the classes, pass some kind of test and you get to drive faster. Maybe have lanes dedicated only for people with this license. To make it apparent you have the license, you could have different license plates to go along with it. That way you wouldn't get pulled over by a cop for speeding, even though you aren't.

Comment

I just speed anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post

And getting passed at 110 by a semi? I have a hard time believing that a) a truck that big can even go over twice the speed it was designed to cruise at, and b) that a driver would risk his career by going that damn fast. But at the same time, I've heard plenty of stories of truckers driving across states blackout drunk so maybe I shouldn't underestimate peoples' irresponsibility.
                            That's part of why it was terrifying. I'd never seen one going over 90 outside of a caravan of speeding trucks, (which is what they do in the desert). And it's a huge freaking chunk of metal machinery passing me, while I'm hauling serious ass. ( El Paso to Arlington).

I wouldn't believe me either. It sounds pretty surreal. :shrug:

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                              I've always thought it would be cool if you could take driving classes that counted towards getting a "performance" or advanced driving license. Take the classes, pass some kind of test and you get to drive faster. Maybe have lanes dedicated only for people with this license. To make it apparent you have the license, you could have different license plates to go along with it. That way you wouldn't get pulled over by a cop for speeding, even though you aren't.
                              This is exactly what I think should happen. I thought the same thing about different color license plates. Black plates could use any lane, green could use all but the far left lane and so on. And no black plates to anyone with under 10 years experience. Sorry youngins, you think you know it all, but you do not.
                              Originally posted by Andy.B
                              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                              1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                              ~~~~~~~~~~
                              I was born on 3/25…
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X