No announcement yet.

SO I'm a NOOB here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure they're are OEM heated seats. People retrofit them all the time, but I'm not sure the car left the factory like that. But like I said I could be wrong, but I don't think heated seats came out until 89
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
      Based off of your description, you have a bad brake booster. If you want, it can be tested with a handheld vacuum pump.

That's what I read. Bad brake booster. I'm not too distraught by it. I mean, it's like an $100-150 fix. BUT that's on top of any other necessary fixes that the car might need.
      So far:
      Timing belt and water pump
      brake booster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
        I'm sure they're are OEM heated seats. People retrofit them all the time, but I'm not sure the car left the factory like that. But like I said I could be wrong, but I don't think heated seats came out until 89

Ouhhh ok gotcha! Even then that's surprising considering THAT era of cars. I mean, I work for Honda and it wasn't too long ago that they introduced heated seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There's nothing wrong at all with having an automatic. I treat mine like a cruiser, not a road bruiser. It'll still handle well around the bends and have enough pull to get you where you're going. The gearbox is a tad dimwitted, but the kickdown is good.
          "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
          The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

I'm sure you'll discover quite a lot of mechanical maintenance that needs to happen as you go along, but that's the fun, just building it up until it's exactly like you want it. Congrats, and enjoy!

Comment

Congrats on the purchase! I also have an automatic vert, and it's definitely still fun to drive! Make sure you pick up a bentley manual, or download the PDF version from here

And just my $0.02, if you need to replace the brake lines, might as well go with SS Braided lines. Can be had for ~$90 and will last a lot longer than rubber, it's a nice little upgrade.

Enjoy!!
              1992 325I Convertible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Project535 View Post
                Congrats on the purchase! I also have an automatic vert, and it's definitely still fun to drive! Make sure you pick up a bentley manual, or download the PDF version from here

And just my $0.02, if you need to replace the brake lines, might as well go with SS Braided lines. Can be had for ~$90 and will last a lot longer than rubber, it's a nice little upgrade.

Enjoy!!

Will do!
                I'm actually in the process of putting a list together of things I need.
                Brake lines
                Brake booster
                Timing belt and water pump.

That's all that's NECESSARY so far.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Here's a list of things I would recommend getting done right off the bat:

Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, and your cam seals will ALL need to be replaced. This is preventative maintenance we're talking here.

A valve adjustment (obviously replacing the cover gasket just comes with the territory) and a fluid change will also be necessary. Flush your radiator and change out all your hoses and serpentine belts. Check all of your suspension bits, especially bushings, as rubber does get old and rot away. Check your seals for any leaks. Check your trunk for any standing water, and also check your floorboards. Brake lines might need to be replaced.

Keep your ear wide open for any interesting noises. Now, mind you that your '88 has a I6 M20B25, so that loud "tickatickaticka" noise that they're common to make is nothing to worry about. Some people call them sewing machines. Also, invest in a few cans of Rustoleum undercoating spray to keep your underbody from getting all icky if you ever decide to be ballsy and drive it in the winter like me.

Oh, and if you decide to modify it, remember the golden rule:

Suspension, brakes and tires come first. Then comes the power.

Other than that, if you keep her happy, it'll keep you happy. Even with the slushy auto, they're fun cars. You can still kick the rear end out, so be careful!
                  "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                  The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                    Here's a list of things I would recommend getting done right off the bat:

Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, and your cam seals will ALL need to be replaced. This is preventative maintenance we're talking here.

A valve adjustment (obviously replacing the cover gasket just comes with the territory) and a fluid change will also be necessary. Flush your radiator and change out all your hoses and serpentine belts. Check all of your suspension bits, especially bushings, as rubber does get old and rot away. Check your seals for any leaks. Check your trunk for any standing water, and also check your floorboards. Brake lines might need to be replaced.

Keep your ear wide open for any interesting noises. Now, mind you that your '88 has a I6 M20B25, so that loud "tickatickaticka" noise that they're common to make is nothing to worry about. Some people call them sewing machines. Also, invest in a few cans of Rustoleum undercoating spray to keep your underbody from getting all icky if you ever decide to be ballsy and drive it in the winter like me.

Oh, and if you decide to modify it, remember the golden rule:

Suspension, brakes and tires come first. Then comes the power.

Other than that, if you keep her happy, it'll keep you happy. Even with the slushy auto, they're fun cars. You can still kick the rear end out, so be careful!

My biggest concern is replacing the cam seals and a valve adjustments. I'd need to get somebody to do that for me. I don't trust my people because they're all just backyard mechanics. I don't want anything to be FUBAR, you know?
                    Hoses, timing belt, water pump, brake lines, brake booster, checking the interior for any standing water, that all can be done by me and my friends/family.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by dariel1013 View Post
                      My biggest concern is replacing the cam seals and a valve adjustments. I'd need to get somebody to do that for me. I don't trust my people because they're all just backyard mechanics. I don't want anything to be FUBAR, you know?
                      Hoses, timing belt, water pump, brake lines, brake booster, checking the interior for any standing water, that all can be done by me and my friends/family.

Sent from my iPhone
                      The cam seals are super easy. Pull the valve cover, pop out the 4 rubber seals on either side on the cam, put new ones in with a tiny dab of RTV and press. Super simple.

The adjustment is pretty easy, though a little tedious. Just make sure you take your time and measure twice. You won't fubar anything unless you seriously mess up the measurement, but I think you're looking at ~$100 to have a shop do it, at least in my experience.
                      1992 325I Convertible
                      sigpic

Comment

Also for parts, you can reach out to BluntTech.com (or steve@blunttech.com) as he is a forum supporter and all that. You might also take a look at Realoem.com so you can see the BMW parts you might want to price out.

Good luck fixing 'er up! Welcome to R3V!
                        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

The cam seals are super easy. Pull the valve cover, pop out the 4 rubber seals on either side on the cam, put new ones in with a tiny dab of RTV and press. Super simple.
                          That's the rocker shaft seals, the cam seal is a bit different.

1992 BMW 325iC
                          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

^This. Cam seals take a bit more doing, but could be addressed when the front covers are off for the timing belt and water pump.

Heated seats were an option in '88.

OP, don't be scared of doing a valve adjustment. It's very straightforward and requires only a couple tools. There are a number of writeups on here and other sites, and if you're still lost when doing it I or someone else on here can help you along. The read thing about these cars is if you're so inclined, they're a great place to learn how to work on cars.
                            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
                              ^This. Cam seals take a bit more doing, but could be addressed when the front covers are off for the timing belt and water pump.

Heated seats were an option in '88.

OP, don't be scared of doing a valve adjustment. It's very straightforward and requires only a couple tools. There are a number of writeups on here and other sites, and if you're still lost when doing it I or someone else on here can help you along. The read thing about these cars is if you're so inclined, they're a great place to learn how to work on cars.

I know a bit about working on them. I just don't have the right tools to do any valve adjustments. I'm pretty sure the only thing I need that I don't have is a feeler gauge, but I haven't done them in years (since Went to school for cars)
                              But who knows. My #1 goal right now is to do enough to get it running smoothly. After that, we can work on everything else

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Enjoy!!
                                Just tried to download the bentley (idk what the hell that is) but I keep getting an error. Saying wrong password.
                                In that thread it says that the password is bmw, and I've tried it w/ caps and w/ no caps.. Nothing

Comment

Working...
                                X