Difference between e and i. WTF...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between e and i. WTF...

I just installed the new head on my 89 325i. So when I picked up the head from the shop I was told that the valves needed to be adjusted. I did the install and because I've never done a valve adjustment, I took it to a local mechanic that I was told was a German car mechanic for a quote.
    Here is the kicker...
    So I drive up in a noisy e30 and ask the cost of a valve adjustment. He looks at my car and say;s "oh its an e30", he said that if I was not aware that these cars had noisy engines. So he asked if it was an e or an i. I told him it was an i then he scratched his head and said no... this is an e . I told him nooooo, this is an i . After a mild discussion, he told me that all 4 door e30's were i's and all 2 door e30's were e. After I giggled internally, I told him "ah... Its ok, I'll just adjust them myself.

I tried to explain the difference between ETA and i cars but he did'nt want any part of my explanation LOL.

Again, needless to say that I walked away from this job. Someone that knows the model because its popular but doesn't know the true difference is not worthy of touching my m20.
    I am not sick, I am twisted. Sick makes it sound like there is a cure.

1991 318is Diamantschwarz Metallic
    1989 325i Alpine White

If you can do a head swap you can do a valve adjustment. It's super easy.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
    Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by e30crazie View Post
      I giggled internally
      C'mon, you lol'd, I would've lost it, props to you for keeping it together!
      C6Z
      S2K
      VeloN

Comment

Wow, where did he even get that idea?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
          If you can do a head swap you can do a valve adjustment. It's super easy.
          I'm doing it tomorrow. I saw some pretty in depth vids on you tube and feel comfortable enough to do it.
          I just never done it so I figured I'd take it to the experts.

1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

I'm doing it tomorrow. I saw some pretty in depth vids on you tube and feel comfortable enough to do it.
            I just never done it so I figured I'd take it to the experts.
            I did a valve adjustment like a month or two ago for the first time. Put the car in 5th and push it to turn to TDC each time since I have LSD. It was fairly easy. Just make sure you have the right feeler gauge because I did it without and that was a bitch.

Comment

what was the quote for the valve adjustment?

The Build:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by papag1234
                Put the car in 5th and push it to turn
                Or just jump pins 11 and 14 in the diagnostic connector to bump the starter.

1986 327i
                transaction feedback
                DIY thing
                meh

Comment

I like to pull the spark plugs and then just use a ratchet on the front of the crank.

Comment

but then you have to go through the trouble of pulling the plugs and reaching the crank bolt with a ratchet.

1986 327i
                    transaction feedback
                    DIY thing
                    meh

Comment

Originally posted by papag1234 View Post
                      Put the car in 5th and push it to turn to TDC each time since I have LSD. It was fairly easy.
                      The gearbox is the important part of the equation (being a manual), not the differential. Open diffs can use this method. Unless one were to roll the car with one wheel in the air/missing, I suppose.
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I ended up pulling off the radiator and turning the crank with my 1/2 inch socket to make the adjustments. I bought a feeler set and used that to gauge my valves. I installed the radiator back and installed all of the stuff I pulled to get to access. Vioala... My engine feels tight and silent. Mission accomplished.
                        On a side note... When I installed my head and timing belt I forgot to put in the hook bracket behind the timing belt cover. I didn't think it mattered to much but it actually does. When I pulled the radiator off, I thought what the hell, I might as well install it as I had access to the dist cap. I noticed that I had some ground rubber on the timing belt cover, as I looked further, I saw that the brand new belt had been rubbing on a groove inside the cover. I pulled it off a little and installed the hook and noticed a huge difference in the clearance. I didn't think it mattered too much until my belt started to rub. Thank god I took the long route and found out before more damage occurred.

1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                          what was the quote for the valve adjustment?
                          He quoted me 150.00, I don't know if that cheap or not but just the fact that our debate was about, I was not going to let him touch my car.

1989 325i Alpine White

Comment

He quoted me 150.00, I don't know if that cheap or not but just the fact that our debate was about, I was not going to let him touch my car.
                            That seems fair if the parts are included. The parts being the head gasket and rtv lol.
                            Hank Ahrens
                            1984 Alpine Coupe
                            1978 911sc

Comment

My father in law is convinced that his 325e had a 4- banger.

Some things are just not worth arguing about.

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X