Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice..on getting a e36 as a DD, but keeping the E30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice..on getting a e36 as a DD, but keeping the E30.

I may be having to make the cross over from E30 to E36 soon (probably after the summer).

Was at my mechanic's garage and while i was getting my speedo fixed he started pointing some issues out like:

-Oil pan gasket needing to be replaced
    - Rockers starting to show their age :crazy:

So now i'm like I may have to put the E30 on the side for a little while. I LOVE MY BABY SO BAD ! Don't wanna part with it but at the same time this student budget shit can maintain the work that is coming up.
    --
    What are the general advantages & disadvantages or doing so? (not insurance wise)
    I mean like say maintence, handling, reliability, build-quality...

Thnx in advance

M-technik

-> Afficionados join the M-technic I club

Eh, every bmw tech Ive talked to said the e30 was one of the most reliable bmw's ever made, you certainly arent guaranteed 200k in an e36, let alone 150k.
    Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by mtechnik
      I may be having to make the cross over from E30 to E36 soon (probably after the summer).

Was at my mechanic's garage and while i was getting my speedo fixed he started pointing some issues out like:

-Oil pan gasket needing to be replaced
      - Rockers starting to show their age :crazy:

So now i'm like I may have to put the E30 on the side for a little while. I LOVE MY BABY SO BAD ! Don't wanna part with it but at the same time this student budget shit can maintain the work that is coming up.
      --
      What are the general advantages & disadvantages or doing so? (not insurance wise)
      I mean like say maintence, handling, reliability, build-quality...

Thnx in advance

M-technik
      I've just done the reverse. I owned an e36 M3 and just switched to an e30 325is. I would do the same again, in a heart beat.

The e30 feels more raw like a go-kart whereas the e36 is much more refined. Both are fun to drive; however, given that the e30 is much more project-car orientated, I've decided the e30 fits my needs.

The e36 is very reliable provided you maintain it (just like any other car). I've had two of them with no issues (both 97s).

It doesn't make sense to me that you'd buy an entire new car instead of just fixing the one you have. I don't think fixing up your car can cost that much.
      E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

hmm hear you both...loud and clear.

The situation is more or less this: Over here doing body work can get PRETTY pricey.. so it's like with the money i'd have to put up for the oil pan, steering rack going south and corrosion spots....it's like that money on together with the sale of the E30 can get me a E36.

Right now i just made 250.000 km's, engine does pull strong still

@ Bdi FC-- in my case i would be looking at a '91-'93 325i. Most of those here have 220.000km's on the clock.

@FifeDog -- Do they say that largely due to the electronics in the E36 and manual transmissions?
        Last edited by mtechnik; 07-18-2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Any old car will have issues. E30s are stout and parts are cheap - I don't see switching to a e36 as being very financially advantageous.
          87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

hmm hear you both...loud and clear.

The situation is more or less this: Over here doing body work can get PRETTY pricey.. so it's like with the money i'd have to put up for the oil pan, steering rack going south and corrosion spots....it's like that money on together with the sale of the E30 can get me a E36.

Right now i just made 250.000 km's, engine does pull strong still

@ Bdi FC-- in my case i would be looking at a '91-'93 325i. Most of those here have 220.000km's on the clock.

@FifeDog -- Do they say that largely due to the electronics in the E36 and manual transmissions?
            I don't know if I'd get a 92 or 93 e36. I'd try to stay north of a late 96 given the better cooling system and facelifted exterior.

The e36 drivetrain is relatively indestructable with basic maintenance.

If you love your e30, you'll appreciate the work you put into it more than you will another car.
            E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

My whole dillema right now is that E30 over here dont sell as high as over int he States. I can' get anymore than $2 grand. And that for a M-teched out e30.

E36 325's up until '93ish go in the neighbourhood of $3000-3500 which would be my budget TOPS if i decide to let the E30 go :-(

@ IS..hm ok now, what time is it when the chassis is starting rot?
              Last edited by mtechnik; 07-18-2006, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IS
                Any old car will have issues. E30s are stout and parts are cheap - I don't see switching to a e36 as being very financially advantageous.
                +1

Plus, I doubt you're going to have to drop as much $$ fixing up the e30 as you will in purchasing an e36. Then on top of that add in all the maintenance you're going to have to do to the e36 after you buy it (and parts will probably be more expensive than e30 parts).

My fast says: traction control is for the faint of heart :evil:

Comment

Everyone here knows I'd hop in an E36 in a heartbeat. But in this instance, I think you are better off just sticking with your E30. A high mileage, early model E36 is a not a car you want to get into. 94-95+ is a better choice. Advantages are better handling, faster, nicer looking (subjective), more modern interior, bigger aftermarket, lots of maintainence items are cheaper.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

What should a welding job (for when it gets to that point) for the rockers cost me? Also the oil pan gasket job. I am not technically inclined so it's gotta be done by a tech.

Comment

What should a welding job (for when it gets to that point) for the rockers cost me? Also the oil pan gasket job. I am not technically inclined so it's gotta be done by a tech.
                      I don't think anyone here is qualified to answer that question accurately, sight unseen. I think you need to go to a few shops that specialize in this kind of work and see for yourself. Once you have all the estimates in hand, then you can decide whether its worth it to you to keep or part with the car.
                      87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

tech, why not buy a 318 or something cheap as your daily.... e30 of course. You can pick one of those up cheap, and beat the heck out of it. If you want a daily driver, and don't care to mod it, look into mazda protoges. I had one that lasted @ 270k. It was a 94, but it ran like a champ. If you are hell bent on Bimmers, I don't see why a daily beeter e30 would be a bad idea.
                        Yours truly,
                        Rich
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by Rigmaster
                        you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281
                          tech, why not buy a 318 or something cheap as your daily.... e30 of course. You can pick one of those up cheap, and beat the heck out of it. .......If you are hell bent on Bimmers, I don't see why a daily beeter e30 would be a bad idea.
                          another good perspective on the matter :grin:

Why my mind first jumped on a E36 was to find a way to put stuff like body-work on hold till i get outta school.
                          When i bought this E30 the body wasn't starting to corrode...

I get MAD ATTACHED to my cars so in the instance where i'm all graduated with a job I WILL patch & weld to keep an E30 going.

Comment

E36s for a DD isn't all that bad. Granted they do have their faults which, in some cases, requires more attention than an E30. Address things like the well-documented cooling system issues and avoid the early models ('92 & '93) and you can have a pretty solid ride. A good friend has a '94 325is and aside from a couple of poor fitment issues re: interior bits its a solid running car and its got about 150K miles on it. My brother has a '98 M3 and despite a recent clutch issue (at 77K miles which required replacement) its been trouble-free and he tracked it three times last year.

I personally don't see them as being that bad....I would consider one in a heartbeat if it was good condition and had a 5 speed.

Jon
                            Rides...
                            1991 325i - sold :(
                            2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

what about the trannies? Every now & then i see a post about them gonig to hell when shifting in a corner-> transmission flex?

thnx Jon.

What i'm donig here is getting ALL apsects/opinions covered.

Comment

Working...
                              X