Do we have an MTech 1 Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?

Do you have an m-tech bumper or a euro bumper?
    jm

Comment

mtech bumpers are painted and regular euros are chrome
      sigpic
      323i MTEC1
      Z3 coupe
      E60 M5

Comment

That's generally true but there are plenty of mtech chrome setups too
        I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
        TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
        e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by plain325 View Post
          I seem to be having an issue fitting up the end caps on the rear bumper.
          I was hoping someone here could give some insight.
          The part of the end cap with the green arrow seems to be pushing out the portion of the apron it overlaps. I don't want to just trim things to fit, but it seems like the easiest solution is to trim the apron for clearance.

This pic kind of shows the part of the apron that it interferes with.(its wrapped white, thats why it looks so crappy)

Check earlier the thread for links to the white mtech1 coupe build. Lots of pics on how to mod the end cap to work

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

I have metal euro bumpers that are painted, i did not know there was any difference between regular euro bumpers, and "mtech" bumpers.

Comment

Bumpers should be the same, but end caps are different. Check the link in post #77 in this thread for trimming standard euro end caps and also #62 for installed pic. I am assuming you are talking about a coupe or sedan 1987 or older.

Comment

:)

Will check. I seems like the m-tech bumpers are thinner and the ends have a different set up for the end caps....? Will check later.
                jm

Comment

Jm - I can assure you Mtec bumpers are exactly the same ones as the regular euro. Only difference euros are chrome and MTec are painted the color of the MTech car. The reason the end caps are different it's only two accommodate the apron that is it- I had both sets but mistakenly when I sold my last bumpers I sold it with one of my MTech caps on the passenger side which I had to modify now for it to work. I also had to buy a new bumper strip which is not Mtec since mines was bit worn . Im hoping it will fit properly.
                  sigpic
                  323i MTEC1
                  Z3 coupe
                  E60 M5

Comment

From what I have seen there were 2 bumper part numbers, painted and chrome, but I believe they were identical. Only the end caps and rubber trim had a unique mtech part number. Interestingly, I have seen original BMW e30 brochures which show mtech-1 with chrome bumpers so I think the painted bumpers only came on mtech-1, but some mtech-1 also came with chrome. Would be interested if anyone with an original car or first hand knowledge from back in the day can confirm this.

Comment

:)

Good to know. I have painted bumpers and they are m-tech....I am putting on chrome ones tomorrow. I think the black, grey or maybe red would look good. I just did not like the white to match the car. I have everything to put the chrome ones on, and the trimmed caps for the rear, so I should be ok with the change out.
                      thanks for the info.
                      jm

Comment

Originally posted by DJMCGARM3 View Post
                        From what I have seen there were 2 bumper part numbers, painted and chrome, but I believe they were identical. Only the end caps and rubber trim had a unique mtech part number. Interestingly, I have seen original BMW e30 brochures which show mtech-1 with chrome bumpers so I think the painted bumpers only came on mtech-1, but some mtech-1 also came with chrome. Would be interested if anyone with an original car or first hand knowledge from back in the day can confirm this.

Any mtec1 with chrome was a dealer added kit. Real factory Mtec1 came only in 3 colors -dolphin metallic, lackssilver metallic, diamantschwarz metallic. All were 325i and built for 6 months. The first two months they had 14" basket weaves and then upgraded to the 15" weaves.
                        All had painted bumpers
                        sigpic
                        323i MTEC1
                        Z3 coupe
                        E60 M5

Comment

What is the source of this incredibly specific info??? I'm really interested in finding out more

There were 2 mtech1 kits afaik and 2 different rear valances one for 325i cars and one for everything else

Every mtech1 painted bumper I've ever seen matched body color. They certainly weren't limited to delphin lachsilber and DS. Why would you have only grey silver and black when AW has always been the most popular color? As to 14" wheels I wasn't aware they were used in Europe at all..

I could of course be completely full of it. That's why I'm asking for reference info so we can all learn

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Oh and yes there's NO difference in the metal pieces mtech1 vs euro chrome. The 2 metal bumper part numbers were for chrome vs primed which of course was intended for paint. You can certainly paint your chrome and end up with the same thing (or better yet wrap them).

This is one of the cool reasons why you can reeaaily switch between MT1 and plain euro - something I'm definitely planning to do with my vert because I just can't decide which look I like more :-) check the last few posts in May 2016 of my build thread for some great discussion about this
                            Last edited by bradnic; 05-26-2016, 06:31 PM.

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Lol....that's what happens when I'm up all night reading stuff...lol
                              E30zone.net also search for BMW e30 325i sport. That's what they called them in Europe
                              sigpic
                              323i MTEC1
                              Z3 coupe
                              E60 M5

Comment

Ok, i am going to try to explain better.
                                I trimmed the bottom of the cap(1st pic)so i dont think thats the issue

The problem seems to be that, the apron wants to sit directly against the metal bumper(2nd pic) Yellow arrow

But the little tab thing(green arrow) tries to push the apron away from the bumper when i slide it into position.

Comment

Working...
                                X