Do we have an MTech 1 Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here is mine

Well, have mine about half way done. Sure would be nice to have a euro 323i. I think this kit would fit better:)
    Build thread may be put up once I get it all together.
    jm
    Attached Files

Comment

Fitment should be the same as long as you have an 87 or earlier US spec E30. Exception being the front inner steel valance which needs to be trimmed or swapped with euro to clear fogs/brake ducts on front mt1 valance. However, BMW also had 2 part numbers for the rear mt1 valance. One with strait back exhaust tips such as 320i and 318i, and the other for angled tips like all 325i oem exhausts. Note the different position of your exhaust outlet vs mine in the photo below. I am assuming that your pics show a test fit without everything buttoned up, but here are a few thoughts and pics that may help:

Should fit about like in the below photos, note that you are using the standard euro bumper black plastic end caps on the front bumper and not the mt1 versions. You can do that, but need to trim off the lower tab

side view

similarly, rear should fit like this:

One other thought, I see some open holes behind your rear bumper. these holes mostly associated with the us bumper should be sealed or caulked up as I think some may let water into the trunk.

Here are a few photos during my install:

Not sure if you saw it, but there is a really good rear euro bumper how to thread from 2008, most of which applies to this installation too. Here is a link to the thread:

Last edited by DJMCGARM3; 03-23-2016, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Regular Early euro cars come with hounds tooth. Mine came with blue houndstooth(323i) but it's long gone.
        I plan On going different direction with Mtec1 M3 material. I have the material already.

JM - your car is looking good. Mine is heading to the paint shop in two weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        323i MTEC1
        Z3 coupe
        E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
          I plan On going different direction with Mtec1 M3 material. I have the material already.
          You mean mtech evo cloth I assume, or ubekaro plaid?
          I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
          TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
          e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Correct but also EVO wasn't the only model with the blue Mtec cloth. . I have a post some where around here with the material.

sigpic
            323i MTEC1
            Z3 coupe
            E60 M5

Comment

yes.. the four color angled stripe material was used in tourings and convertibles for one model year.

another mtech interior thread on bfc

HOWTOs:
              DB vert plastic bumpers
              OEM Keys
              MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
              91 ic Calypso 3.1
              86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by DJMCGARM3 View Post
                note that you are using the standard euro bumper black plastic end caps on the front bumper and not the mt1 versions. You can do that, but need to trim off the lower tab
                First of all - your alpine coupe is absolute PERFECTION. Hope you come down to The Vintage so I'll get to see it :-)

Thanks for the comment re reusing the front euro bumper cap with the front spoiler. I think that's mentioned in the MT1 install instructions right? What about the rear caps? I have a vert so mine mount to the quarter and not the bumper. I assume they will work fine with my MT! rear apron.

also never knew there were 2 rear aprons, one for angled exhaust and one for straight. I of course have the angled version and am running a Strömung, so something has to give. I refuse to mod either so I'll probably move the cat back to my IX.
                Last edited by bradnic; 03-23-2016, 07:22 PM.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jm View Post
                  That is what I am looking for. So hounds tooth is the original for m-tech 1. Herringbone would not work?
                  thanks again,
                  jm
                  by herringbone you mean this? from this robrez mtech seat thread

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

that is just called anthracite cloth in all the literature I've read.

speaking of mtech 1, anyone have a good way to get the rear on, other than guess what the angle of the mounts should be and tighten them onto the bumper with it off? there's zero room to get even a few fingers back there once the bumper and valence are on the car.
                    cars beep boop

Comment

thanks for the clarification on the cloth. the bolsters definitely look anthracite, but I figured that center pattern had a different name

re MT1 rear, I thought you bolted the bumper up, then mounted the valance..

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

if you do that you'd still need to reach behind it, but instead of two nuts, you'd need to tighten like 14.
                        cars beep boop

Comment

you're right
                          fixed link
                          BMW instructions for MT1 rear valance
                          PM ME TIL I FIND PDF HOSTING
                          Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 10:49 AM.

HOWTOs:
                          DB vert plastic bumpers
                          OEM Keys
                          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                          91 ic Calypso 3.1
                          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                            First of all - your alpine coupe is absolute PERFECTION. Hope you come down to The Vintage so I'll get to see it :-)

Thanks for the comment re reusing the front euro bumper cap with the front spoiler. I think that's mentioned in the MT1 install instructions right? What about the rear caps? I have a vert so mine mount to the quarter and not the bumper. I assume they will work fine with my MT! rear apron.

also never knew there were 2 rear aprons, one for angled exhaust and one for straight. I of course have the angled version and am running a Strömung, so something has to give. I refuse to mod either so I'll probably move the cat back to my IX.
                            you can modify the rear end caps to fit on the mtech, but it sucks to do. you'll need to cut off the bottoms like for the front trims, but then also cut an inch out of the channel between the surface of the cap and the rear retainer thingy it's molded to. I hacked it out with a box cutter, but not well. Unclear if there are better ways. maybe a band saw?

and yes, two different rear aprons. I have no idea what the straight exit ones came on, but they seem less common than the angled ones. I have a straight one on mine, luckily.

also that link 404's :(
                            cars beep boop

Comment

Wow, some truly great posts in the last day. Thanks for the info, especially DJMCGARM3!

Mr. Wolfe
                              sigpic

Comment

I thought the Best way to install rear is with apron install with bumper together as one piece ?

sigpic
                                323i MTEC1
                                Z3 coupe
                                E60 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X