opinions welcom: best year of the e30?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    Im sorry, but thats bs. The 153 is known for making a couple hp more stock, but nothing else you said is even remotely true.
    Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella


    IIRC the 173 is an upgrade to the 153 and is a simple plug and play


    That's what I always thought, until I tried a 173, a 527, a chipped 525, a 380, two stock 153s, and a chipped 153. In addition, the chipped 153 runs on 87 octane and is my favorite of the bunch.

    Leave a comment:


  • whitebulat22
    replied
    Fwiw, my 153 on my 2.7i always got just below 23 with a normal mix of driving. Didn't notice a difference when the 173 took a couple of trips.

    I took it a bit easier on my now chipped 173 ecu and it got 24.9 according to my last fill up.

    88-89 325i's are definitely the sweet spot of everything, but that's probably why they always seem to cost an extra 3k (well 325i's in general). Maybe if diving board rears could be made to look good, or if the earliest models came with disk brakes, they would all be closer together.

    Leave a comment:


  • ThatOneEuroE30
    replied
    Not really a year but any early model euro. Bumpers are chrome but dont stick out a million miles. No third brake light, and best of all small tails but any early model has those.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by ELVA164
    Not true. I mean, the first part may be true (my mistake) but the second part isn't. The later ECU uses more fuel and has less "pep" than the earlier one, even chipped. I've tried probably 8 ECUs in my car for at least 100 miles apiece and the 153s are always the best. From what I gather, it has something to do with the architecture(?) of the ECU. The earlier ones have a more abrupt on/off of the injectors on and off throttle, but have better part-throttle performance and use much less fuel. Stock vs. stock, the earlier ECU could get as much as 31mpg and the late one never got much above 23mpg. The chipped late ECUs were either the same or worse with regard to mileage, and never felt as responsive as a stock 153.


    IIRC the 173 is an upgrade to the 153 and is a simple plug and play

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Originally posted by ELVA164
    Not true. I mean, the first part may be true (my mistake) but the second part isn't. The later ECU uses more fuel and has less "pep" than the earlier one, even chipped. I've tried probably 8 ECUs in my car for at least 100 miles apiece and the 153s are always the best. From what I gather, it has something to do with the architecture(?) of the ECU. The earlier ones have a more abrupt on/off of the injectors on and off throttle, but have better part-throttle performance and use much less fuel. Stock vs. stock, the earlier ECU could get as much as 31mpg and the late one never got much above 23mpg. The chipped late ECUs were either the same or worse with regard to mileage, and never felt as responsive as a stock 153.
    Im sorry, but thats bs. The 153 is known for making a couple hp more stock, but nothing else you said is even remotely true.

    Leave a comment:


  • Nesset
    replied
    1983-84.

    Lightest car = good times.

    Leave a comment:


  • Staszek
    replied
    I say 89, all the good stuff without the airbags!

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    Originally posted by nando
    Yes you can. It plugs right in. The pinouts are identical.

    Also, as soon as you chip it, any difference in stock tunes means nothing.
    Not true. I mean, the first part may be true (my mistake) but the second part isn't. The later ECU uses more fuel and has less "pep" than the earlier one, even chipped. I've tried probably 8 ECUs in my car for at least 100 miles apiece and the 153s are always the best. From what I gather, it has something to do with the architecture(?) of the ECU. The earlier ones have a more abrupt on/off of the injectors on and off throttle, but have better part-throttle performance and use much less fuel. Stock vs. stock, the earlier ECU could get as much as 31mpg and the late one never got much above 23mpg. The chipped late ECUs were either the same or worse with regard to mileage, and never felt as responsive as a stock 153.

    Leave a comment:


  • E30 Wagen
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevinl
    1989

    No Air bag
    Elipsiods
    plastic bumpers
    motronic 1.3
    /thread

    Leave a comment:


  • nando
    replied
    Yes you can. It plugs right in. The pinouts are identicle.

    Also, as soon as you chip it, any difference in stock tunes means nothing.

    Leave a comment:


  • ELVA164
    replied
    You can't retrofit a 153 into a later car.

    Leave a comment:


  • Stanley Rockafella
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevinl
    1988

    No Air bag
    Elipsiods
    big, sexy alum bumpers
    motronic 1.3

    Leave a comment:


  • Click
    replied
    I believe 89s were also the last year of pop out windows and manual sunroofs (less weight than electric because race car). If you like plastic bumper cars 89 is the year to have imho.

    That said I have an 89 and love it but also want an early to do a eurobumper swap

    Leave a comment:


  • ST1G
    replied
    Originally posted by 2mAn
    Thats what keeps me cuming back to mine
    That's why I like Alpine II e30s. Don't have to wash them as often, it all kinda blends in.

    Leave a comment:


  • 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by reelizmpro
    84-85 door handles are ribbed underneath for extra pleasure.
    Thats what keeps me cuming back to mine

    Leave a comment:

Working...