Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Educate me: 14'' BMW Basketweave center caps - ebay vs OEM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Educate me: 14'' BMW Basketweave center caps - ebay vs OEM?

Hi all,

Hoping someone can clarify something for me. I am searching for some centercaps for my 14'' basketweaves. I noticed OEM prices from BMW are very expensive, and the prices of used listed here in the classified are also significantly higher than eBay (for used on the forum vs. new on eBay).

Are the ones on eBay replicas? Does not include all the pieces? Am I missing on something here?
    for example:

Are these supposed to be plastic or made of metal? Perhaps the eBay ones are plastic only?

Thanks!
    Andrew

Hey

Bottom of the ad states "Material = Plastic"

The OEM ones are metal.
    http://www.DeluxeCarStorage.com
    87 325ic - Early ACS Tribute
    90 325i MT2 - R.I.P

Seller Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=380908

Comment

Originally posted by allen_t View Post
      Hey

Bottom of the ad states "Material = Plastic"

The OEM ones are metal.
      Ah thanks, that makes sense

Did BMW ever make plastic OEM ones though?

Comment

Not for E30's...no. The waffles are metal and the nuts are plastic. Could these possibly be the new style cap from BMW? They look like they'll work. Time to investigate.

The part number they list 36 11 2 225 190 is for the center covering with emblem. Not sure if this is a mix up or a scam.

part number for the complete cap with waffle like they show on the site is 36132225622 $70.71 each

The ad is very misleading.
        Last edited by reelizmpro; 04-08-2016, 03:42 PM.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Im looking at an oem one right in person now and the ebay picture. The waffle centers definitely look different. The edges and curves of the waffles on the ebay ones are much more sharp than oem.
          Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

Thank you Andrew for asking this question ,I bought a set of 14" basket weaves last weekend and the seller forgot to bring the two center caps he had I need to find replacements as well and know nothing about these wheels ,I bought these wheels because the opportunity came up and I had no time to do research .when the two caps arrive I will be able to examine them .

Comment

It seems that the plastic parts of these eBay copies can be used to repair original center caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                It seems that the plastic parts of these eBay copies can be used to repair original center caps.

i bought the ebay ones...the locking mechanism is very cheap/thin may not hold on for long

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post

i bought the ebay ones...the locking mechanism is very cheap/thin may not hold on for long
                  What is an alternative? Are there repair parts for the original caps?

Comment

Working...
                  X