This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Im going to look again, but I didnt see the floor rust.
    Exactly - you won't see it until you lift up the carpet. Having looked at enough of these that had a lot of hidden rust, I write from experience.

If the fender bottoms are rusting out from the inside (as on that car), there is rust in the jack point area, which almost always leads to serious rust along the door sills. Since the carpet in the car is shot anyway, and a replacement is included with the car, if you're a serious bidder I'd ask the seller to take out the driver's seat, pull of the door sill cover, and pull up the carpet to get a picture of two of the floor and the inner sill.

There is significant staining on the carpet consistent with a badly leaking heater core, and wear patterns worse than I've every seen in one of these cars around the pedals.

All red flags, but worth it if you're going into it with eyes open expecting a project, as E30 tourings really do live up to their hype. :)

Comment

There's a 99% chance there's rust hiding behind the filler panel. That lower glazing seal shrinks and let's water down into that channel, rusts from the inside out. I also would like to see the vent line tube, if the jack area is rusted out like that, I'm willing to bet it's also going to need both inner fenders replaced in the back. That is a serious job.
      -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
      -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

..ouch. That's a bit of a hit to take for only a year of ownership. First thing I would do though is find either some legit Recaro's or Sport seats and get them recovered in tan.

The black seats on tan interior I think may have hurt the perception in the auction...
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by crash n' burn View Post
          There's a 99% chance there's rust hiding behind the filler panel. That lower glazing seal shrinks and let's water down into that channel, rusts from the inside out. I also would like to see the vent line tube, if the jack area is rusted out like that, I'm willing to bet it's also going to need both inner fenders replaced in the back. That is a serious job.
          And I was having a good day... At least one of the inner rear fenders on my Touring (right side, of course) is Swiss cheese. The hatch looked great (no rust along the edge) when I bought the car - then I took off the filler panel.

Oh well - the things we do for love.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
            And I was having a good day... At least one of the inner rear fenders on my Touring (right side, of course) is Swiss cheese. The hatch looked great (no rust along the edge) when I bought the car - then I took off the filler panel.

Oh well - the things we do for love.
            hahaha, sorry man. I'm in the same boat. the only reason my hatch is still "ok" is because it didn't have a filler panel on it. it'll still need a little work but it can be saved.
            -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
            -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

2002 fetched a nice even 20k... Im really curious what the CSL is going to get to. I know Jeff from the SoCal Vintage group is building one in this same color, but I think his is a 3.0 CS
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Perry's Saab collection is closing out today, I hope he brings in good money!
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Perry's Saab collection is closing out today, I hope he brings in good money!
                  The white 96 is coming to my neighbors house! He's beyond excited and is planning on listing his E46 M3 on BaT soon, he wanted the red Sonnet but ultimately decided that the 96 was a much cooler car in his opinion. He also drive up to to meet Paul on Monday and said he was an incredibly appreciative enthusiast and none of the pictures are lying, every single car there was absolutely astonishing.
                  C6Z
                  S2K
                  VeloN

Comment

Looks like maybe BAT has been reading some of the negative comments about their over reliance on the same damn cars being run at the same time and have tried to space the auctions of Red M3's and 911's out a bit more.

Now if I can keep that touring under 5K, I'm going to have a fun road trip this weekend...
                    2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                      Looks like maybe BAT has been reading some of the negative comments about their over reliance on the same damn cars being run at the same time and have tried to space the auctions of Red M3's and 911's out a bit more.

Now if I can keep that touring under 5K, I'm going to have a fun road trip this weekend...
                      Good luck, I will be watching!!

Its already awfully close! ($4100 current bid)
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Yeah, my buddy and I are actually bidding on TWO tourings today. One on BAT, and then one on eBay.

..and if neither of those pan out, we are looking a pair down south.
                        2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Yeah, my buddy and I are actually bidding on TWO tourings today. One on BAT, and then one on eBay.

looks like you are going to be battling against "phatstaks" haha
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

HA!

With a name like that, I am sure I'll bail before him. My stacks are fairly "Lean"
                            2016 Ford Flex

Comment

there are a couple tourings on my local craigs if you do the "include all search areas" search.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                                there are a couple tourings on my local craigs if you do the "include all search areas" search.
                                :devil:

shhhhh..

and it's not just the Tourings he has either.
                                2016 Ford Flex

Comment

Working...
                                X