Pre-facelift parts on facelift model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-facelift parts on facelift model?

Alright so I own an 88' 320i and there is an 86' 325i for sale locally for $1000 and I'm thinking about getting it for parts, basically wanting to know how interchangeable the parts are on these cars, thanks.

Lots of interchangeable parts, lots of parts that won't work, especially since you have different engines between the two.

The coolant system, engine harness, and dme are probably going to the biggest items that won't directly swap over. Unless, of course, you swap EVERYTHING associated with those parts.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

..and sheet metal. anything associated with the rear is different -arches are lower on facelift cars. Bumper surrounds, tailights, bumpers markers..etc. are different. Front valance will be different, front bumper shocks, surrounds/bumpers different. Is also a possibility the door lift mechanism is the earlier cable style, but I don't recall the year they changed it.

Shifter style is probably different, the later may not have the mount for the early sheet metal style.

Wiring harnesses will be different. Headlights may be different if the '88 has ellipsoids. Central locking wiring may be slightly different.. C101 plug may be different for the main connection between fuseblock/engine/body harness.

Lots of small little things.
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

If you got the M20b25 in 86, a motor swap might be worth the effort, if you want a bit more torque.

US cars will swap quite a bit through the end of the big aluminum bumpers,
        but what you got in Canada, that might be different.

www.realoem.com will help you more than I can.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X