Registering a 49 state emission car in California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registering a 49 state emission car in California

What exactly are the rules and regulations for registering a car that's only 49 state emission compliant in California? Its a 97 jeep with well over this 7500 mile number I keep seeing, but it appears that's only for motorcycles.
    I want a nice set of smoked MHW's (I know, get it line)
    Free Stuff!!:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=273454

Keep your Ill plates for as long as you can. There's a car in my neighborhood that has had North Dakota plates for years and it stays parked on the street. Otherwise, they'd probably want the car to have a CA compliant cat and the correct engine. Overall, it shouldn't be too bad as long as your car is running well.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Don't you have only one year to register your car once you move to that state?

Comment

Supposedly but there are exceptions like out of state students, etc.
        "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
        88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
        89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
        91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

And just simply not being noticed. Even with a very unique and recognizable car (low, loud Neon R/T with roof rack, factory skunk stripes, stickers) I got away with it for years.

Keep your existing plates for as long as you can. Even if you do get a ticket after a year or two it is still probably worth it financially if the car ends up needing anything to pass and depending on how much cheaper your old state's registration is (CA is twice as much as Ohio for me). As long as it has a CA-compliant cat, has all emissions stuff intact and passes the sniffer I'm pretty sure you will be ok from what I have been told, but I sold that Neon to my buddy back east when I got my E30 so I never went through it myself.
          sigpic
          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

You moving to Cali?
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

If you don't register in CA, does your old state require annual or biennial smog check?
              I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

I believe the CA Jeeps had 4 O2 sensors instead of two. But there is a clause in the CA smog laws that says if a car was originally designed as a 49 state car, then you are allowed to register it.

You will have to search the dmv website for the exact page and wording. I found it years ago.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                X