Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did this eBay E30 sell for so little??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmg View Post
    Sorry, what's BAT? I always thought it meant Big Ass Turbo.
    sounds right to me too
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
      After seeing the obvious body damage I can't believe somebody would pay more than $4000 for it. I'd rather start with an in-op but clean and straight e30 instead of a good running car that was previously smashed up. It's easy to turn back the clock on a blown engine, body/chassis damage not so much.
      Where are you seeing all this damage to the body and chassis?

Comment

Bring a trailer

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by DELPHINtimecapsule View Post
          Where are you seeing all this damage to the body and chassis?
          Driver door fits poorly

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
            Driver door fits poorly
            Ahh

Comment

Originally posted by parkerbink View Post
              Bring a trailer
              Oh that makes sense now. Thanks!
              F80 ///M3 CS
              i3 REx LCI
              Previous: F80 M3 • I01 i3 REx • F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250

Comment

I (personally) would never pay $7k for that car. Unless I'm missing something - it's nothing special. More-or-less stock car with some cheap front coil overs and wheels.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not jelly or anything - just I can't see the value added by a set of wheels and a drop.

But, I will say that's the key to getting top dollar. You can take a 2-3k e30, and if you put some lowering springs on it, and some 16" wheels, you have something that will get much more money. It's a tried and true formula. I've seen it 100 times. It brings in the suckers/money every damn time!

At the same time there will be some "project car" with a proper suspension and a m60 swap more then half done, and it won't sell for $3k - even though it has $10k or more into it. That's the car you want to get.
                Originally posted by Matt-B
                hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I actually looked at the pictures finally and it's pretty clear the car has been painted as well, and it doesn't look great. Upon first glance I thought that the drivers rear quarter looked a bit dull, like it had a lot of orange peel and its really apparent on the front right fender in the picture of the wheel.

Shitty paint, cheap wheels, probably cheap coilovers, annoying seller... I'd say the price is high, in my opinion. There are still TONS of actual original cars out there for sale, e30's are not rare... There is a world outside of the internet, and you can buy cars in it.
                  - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
                    You mean low miles like ~50k right?
                    Comfortably under 100k.

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                    I was talking about like a 100,000-150,000 mile car. Also I've really never seen that much of a price difference between the 318i and 325i.
                    Hard to consider something around 150k as low miles.

Originally posted by Matt-B View Post
                    people who keep listing e30s for 5 figures need to be shot.

They just randonly doubled in price 1 day and now everyone thinks a clean car is worth 10-15k lol
                    Sellers aren't randomly pricing them that high. That is what cars are selling for.

If you sold yours what would you list it for? Current market value or a price from 5 year ago?
                    1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Originally posted by Poorhouse View Post
                      Comfortably under 100k.

Hard to consider something around 150k as low miles.

Sellers aren't randomly pricing them that high. That is what cars are selling for.

If you sold yours what would you list it for? Current market value or a price from 5 year ago?
                      They are almost 30 years old, I would consider 150k low miles.

The well-under 100k example is probably worth close to what you're talking about, but there aren't many of those out there and the people that buy them aren't on this board.

Yeah, 318's are going high on Bring a Trailer, and it's affecting the asking prices market-wide... but I think real world selling prices are a good bit lower than what we're talking about. I haven't seen a normally driven, good condition, 318is that sold for over $10k in the real world yet, so we're still talking about outliers here IMO. This is kind of like when the wheel market was driven way up by the stance crowd.

My roommate has been toying with the idea of selling his 318is in the real world. It's white on tan houndstooth, perfect interior, grown-up suspension, real wheels with real tires, decent body, with ~200k miles on the chassis and lower miles on an M44 that replaced the M42 that ate itself. A couple people have looked at it @ a sub $6k asking price and it hasn't sold. I don't think the market has changed as much as some people think it has.
                      Last edited by Jb325is; 05-03-2017, 06:00 AM.
                      - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

Agree with others in that this car isn't that great. Current value or not, I wouldn't be a player at 7k for that marginal example.

And....the fact that the seller appears to be a complete douche drops the value by 2 grand or so.
                        Last edited by flyboyx; 05-03-2017, 06:19 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

They are almost 30 years old, I would consider 150k low miles.

The well-under 100k example is probably worth close to what you're talking about, but there aren't many of those out there and the people that buy them aren't on this board.

Yeah, 318's are going high on Bring a Trailer, and it's affecting the asking prices market-wide... but I think real world selling prices are a good bit lower than what we're talking about. I haven't seen a normally driven, good condition, 318is that sold for over $10k in the real world yet, so we're still talking about outliers here IMO. This is kind of like when the wheel market was driven way up by the stance crowd.

My roommate has been toying with the idea of selling his 318is in the real world. It's white on tan houndstooth, perfect interior, grown-up suspension, real wheels with real tires, decent body, with ~200k miles on the chassis and lower miles on an M44 that replaced the M42 that ate itself. A couple people have looked at it @ a sub $6k asking price and it hasn't sold. I don't think the market has changed as much as some people think it has.

You're right, we are talking about the top of the market stuff with prices in the $10k-$20k range.

When the best examples move up in price it creates some confusion for the market of average examples. Sellers think their car is in better condition than it really is, or are just trying to cash in.

I see the price of the best examples correlating to two things, the cost of an average example plus restoration, and the scarcity of really nice examples.

Say I'm a guy in my 40's, always wanted a 325is. Couldn't afford one when they came out. Now I've got some money to burn on a "classic car."
                          My budget is $20k. I can buy a average example for $5k and spend $15k-$20k restoring it to like new. Or, I can buy the best original example out there. The best example used to be $10k. Now maybe there are more guys in this age range shopping, or maybe the guys who had been watching the market see prices rising and decide to jump in creating more competition for the really nice cars. Prices rise from $10k to $20k in a short period.

I don't think that is a bubble, it is the new price for the top cars.
                          Again, your right that it doesn't have much affect on the average cars. They are still a restoration away from being a $20k car.

I'm happy with average cars. They are more fun because you're not worried about your investment. We just need sellers of the average cars to remain realistic.
                          1991 318iC
                          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

You're right, we are talking about the top of the market stuff with prices in the $10k-$20k range.

When the best examples move up in price it creates some confusion for the market of average examples. Sellers think their car is in better condition than it really is, or are just trying to cash in.

I see the price of the best examples correlating to two things, the cost of an average example plus restoration, and the scarcity of really nice examples.

Say I'm a guy in my 40's, always wanted a 325is. Couldn't afford one when they came out. Now I've got some money to burn on a "classic car."
                            My budget is $20k. I can buy a average example for $5k and spend $15k-$20k restoring it to like new. Or, I can buy the best original example out there. The best example used to be $10k. Now maybe there are more guys in this age range shopping, or maybe the guys who had been watching the market see prices rising and decide to jump in creating more competition for the really nice cars. Prices rise from $10k to $20k in a short period.

Again, your right that it doesn't have much affect on the average cars. They are still a restoration away from being a $20k car.

I'm happy with average cars. They are more fun because you're not worried about your investment. We just need sellers of the average cars to remain realistic.
                            Agreed all around.
                            - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

You just described me. My first car was a beat E21 320i and I really liked the E30 325is back in High School. Now I want one. $20k is way to high for me, but I'm willing to spend up to $12K for a nice example.
                              F80 ///M3 CS
                              i3 REx LCI
                              Previous: F80 M3 • I01 i3 REx • F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250

Comment

I actually looked at the pictures finally and it's pretty clear the car has been painted as well, and it doesn't look great. Upon first glance I thought that the drivers rear quarter looked a bit dull, like it had a lot of orange peel and its really apparent on the front right fender in the picture of the wheel.

Shitty paint, cheap wheels, probably cheap coilovers, annoying seller... I'd say the price is high, in my opinion. There are still TONS of actual original cars out there for sale, e30's are not rare... There is a world outside of the internet, and you can buy cars in it.
                                Beautifully said!! I would steer clear of this Ebay seller at all costs - thecoupeking
                                Last edited by Rusty.Piranha; 05-03-2017, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X