Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes the E30 318is a fun driving car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If a handful of people want to view the M42 as special, then more power to them.

"When all e30's are special, then none of them are" - Syndrome
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
      If a handful of people want to view the M42 as special, then more power to them.

"When all e30's are special, then none of them are" - Syndrome
      M10 automatics will never be special, so we're okay.

Comment

Whats wrong with m10 automatics?
        1990 325i
        2004 330i Individual 6-speed
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
          Whats wrong with m10 automatics?

You press the gas peddle, then all you can feel is crushing disappointment. THEN, that crushing disappointment goes into an automagic box of sadness and magnifies that crushing disappointment into debilitating depression.
          Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

^It was a rhetorical question, but I was anticipating your response. Lol!
            1990 325i
            sigpic

Comment

But, now that I think about it, it is special. Firstly it teaches you patience and secondly, it teaches engine and gearbox swaps.
              1990 325i
              sigpic

Comment

I freshened up an m10 on an e21. Such a solid engine, all jokes aside.
                Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by Schnitzer318is View Post
                  That engine was fun as all get out. Dyno'd with m20 numbers (130+) after efan and chip. Got ridiculous mileage >32mpg highway. And then came the turbo... then things got really fun. 190+rwhp and 220ft/lbs were awesome. .
                  sorry but 130whp is like an M20B25 running on 5 cylinders with 140psi compression. If you put that same turbo effort into one, you'd be at 300+whp easily. There are plenty of N/A M20s these days making over 200whp (it got a lot better when RHD started making M20 intakes).

Glad you enjoy it for sure though. The things I liked best about the 318is I drove for a while was the fuel economy and balanced handling. It was beat to crap and no matter what, i always averaged over 30mpg.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                    And at this moment in time not a single one is worth even glancing at. Really unimpressed with what BMW has been doing the last few years.
                    I used to really like the 2 series, so much so that I even did the math and budgeted out for a M235i. That is until I saw them in person and saw how big they were.
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                      You press the gas peddle, then all you can feel is crushing disappointment. THEN, that crushing disappointment goes into an automagic box of sadness and magnifies that crushing disappointment into debilitating depression.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

Followed by being rear ended cause its so damn slow haha.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

It's kind of ridiculous how little power the M42 makes IMO. Look at Toyota's 4AGE or B-series Hondas. Way more power - same displacement. I don't get it.
                          1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            sorry but 130whp is like an M20B25 running on 5 cylinders with 140psi compression. If you put that same turbo effort into one, you'd be at 300+whp easily. There are plenty of N/A M20s these days making over 200whp (it got a lot better when RHD started making M20 intakes).

Glad you enjoy it for sure though. The things I liked best about the 318is I drove for a while was the fuel economy and balanced handling. It was beat to crap and no matter what, i always averaged over 30mpg.
                            I hear you on the turbo potential of the m20b25, but stock it only put down ~135ish at the wheels. There were (this happened years ago so forgive my memory) I think 3 325i/is models at the dyno day I took mine to and the m20's were putting down similar numbers. Some less than the 136 the m42 put down.

I enjoy both engines, I just don't get the "under powered" argument from some unless they are comparing it to m5x/s5x swapped e30's. I felt the m42 was easy to mod and super reliable. But again, mine was a fresh reman engine purchased from the dealer and I drove it til just under 80,000 miles. 40,000ish were turbo charged I think?
                            "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
                            -----------------------------------------
                            91 318is Turbo Sold
                            87 325 Daily driver Sold
                            06 4.8is X5
                            06 Mtec X3
                            05 4.4i X5 Sold
                            92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
                            90 325i Sold
                            97 328is Sold
                            01 323ci Sold
                            92 325i Sold
                            83 528e Totaled
                            98 328i Sold
                            93 325i Sold

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                              It's kind of ridiculous how little power the M42 makes IMO. Look at Toyota's 4AGE or B-series Hondas. Way more power - same displacement. I don't get it.
                              Where are you pulling those thoughts from? 4AGEs make the same or less power per liter, while B series made plenty more HP, but less torque per liter. It's also worth considering that the B series was way more like the S14 in the Honda lineup.

I think the reality is that pretty much everyone had a 1600-2000cc 16v engine making 120-150 HP in the late 80s to early 90s, and it was really only a matter of which brand/drivetrain/tuning preferences/reliability history you wanted or could afford as a buyer at that time. So, at the stop light drags it was really all about gearing.

These days most of those engines are outclassed by your run of the mill base model power plant, but it's also over a quarter of a century later. So it can fairly be said that everyone was about on par in the 4 cylinder twin-cam game back then.

Comment

Maybe I'm just bitter about only having 145hp, but it seems like the 4AGE in particular has more potential than the M42.

This guy for example: http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

...seems to think a 200hp 4AG is relatively easy to build.
                                1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

Working...
                                X