Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes the E30 318is a fun driving car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the M42. I like the fact you have to rev them out, it makes it easier to have fun and stay out of trouble.
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by blizake500 View Post
      I've had a 318is in mint condition. I sold it after having it a year because I couldn't stand the power. It has none! Very boring to drive.
      lol

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

It was raining today in Seattle. I took my e30 318is to the dispo and had a blast all the way there. The 318is is fun as fuck to drive, in slightly modified form, than any 6 cylinder e30 I've had. My car has coils, a lightweight flywheel, no power steering, and is stripped a little. They're janky little cars that are fun to beat on and push to their limit, which is never out of reach.
        Hank Ahrens
        1984 Alpine Coupe
        1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
          the m42 engine is a blast to rev out, and the car is lighter-weight by a considerable amount from the factory. the longer second gear ratio, combined with the factory LSD short ratio 4.10 really makes the car "quick" and "fun".

The weight distribution is the same as a 6 cylinder e30, but the lighter weight front end is easily noticed, especially with power steering disabled.

The engine uses a progressive type throttle body that allows for great fuel economy while cruising, but still soem oomph when floored. My m42 e30 is lightened up about 200lbs, has a few bolt ons, and is faster than both of my 325is's (both of those are stock).

Everyone is quick to hate on the m42 but it really is the baby m3. The m42 is the most technically advanced engine ever offered from the factory in the e30, even more so than the s14.

with an engine chip and a lightweight flywheel the 318i/318is late model is almost every bit as good as 325i - you just wont have the torque down low. the m42 is also easier to work on than a m20, in my humble opinion... though both are super easy anyways.

get one!
          E30 320is was the "baby M3". Calling a 318 that is an insult to the M3. All this talk about weight in the front is easily dialed out with the right suspension set up and totally forgotten with enough power. BMW quit making 4 bangers for a reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
            E30 320is was the "baby M3". Calling a 318 that is an insult to the M3. All this talk about weight in the front is easily dialed out with the right suspension set up and totally forgotten with enough power. BMW quit making 4 bangers for a reason!
            Your opinion is invalid due to your obvious power boner.

You don't need a v8 e30 to have fun.
            Hank Ahrens
            1984 Alpine Coupe
            1978 911sc

Comment

The 320is was the tax dodge M3, nothing more, as BMW felt they needed a halo three series that was more practical for drivers in several countries. The 318is was never intended to compete with either M3 or faux M3s, and I suspect it was more of a technological proving ground/market test than anything else.

It's also inaccurate to say that BMW quit making four cylinders, as they have made them since the M10 until today, with only the shortest break between the end of the M10 and start of the S14/M40. Although I haven't done the math, I suspect that at this time BMW has produced 3 four cylinders for every 4 other cylinder count of car engines.

For the OP, power is not everything. Less will do just fine if you understand the limits of what you can and should do on a public road. On track I don't think anyone would argue that more than 136 horsepower in a ~2700 pound car would be good. That said, M42s seem to be more reliable than M20s on track, although it should be said that M20s likely have far, far more total hours of competition time a this point, even considering the 318is Rally in Europe.

Comment

[ATTACH]114319[/ATTACH]

Comment

They quit selling them in the US market, they never stopped selling them.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

..are we going to see a rash of these post by people who over paid for their 318is on Bring A Trailer now?

We get it - the 318is was low production and is the bee's knees because of weight/balance..blah, blah. It's still an E30. Still as aerodynamic as a brick. Still tailhappy as a new born puppy.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
                      Everyone is quick to hate on the m42 but it really is the baby m3.
                      The 318is is what people refer to as the baby M3, and even that is debatable.
                      Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

SMH.... You CLEARLY have zero knowledge on BMW history. The 4 cylinder is the reason any of our BMW's isn't a Mercedes. They quite making them because the 2.0 liter racing regulations were lifted so they could use bigger engines. So when they designed the cars they were with 6 cylinders so they could be raced with a 6 cylinder since it was offered in the dealership. I recommend buying the book Unbeatable you will learn a lot. With out that little m10 bmw would be bankrupt making parts for merc's.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

i personally like the m42 just fine. its all the stuff missing from the car that pisses me off.

no cruise control, no check panel, no 13 button obc......the thing that really annoys me is those freaking vinyl perforated seats installed in 95% of them. well, the seats are fine, but i despise sitting on that slippery plastic. as they start to disintegrate, the surface looks like lizard skin.

how the heck do you drive an e30 with no cruise? sorry, my vagina hurts. end of rant. carry on.....

on the positive side, shadow line trim is nice.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                          92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                          88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                          88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                          87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                          12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                            ^ 200 lbs. off is a lot - what do you have done for weight reduction?
                            my car is 2,450lbs on the scale with half a tank of gas. it has no front bumper, simplified front valence, no carpet, no backseat, no door cards, lightweight racing style exhaust (resonator and turbo style muffler), lightweight flywheel (7lbs), most engine accessories removed, no sound deadening/tar. No trunk carpet, smaller and lighter battery from a Honda, etc. etc.

Stock trim, BMW listed the weight as about 2650 lbs.

the 318is is the baby m3 because of its power delivery characteristics and DOHC nature. the 320is was the ///M3 of its markets

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

how the heck do you drive an e30 with no cruise? sorry, my vagina hurts. end of rant. carry on.....

Well generally, I cant speak for everyone on this but usually i just keep my foot on the pedal.

Not having the check panel, sun roof, and obc just make it that much better.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post

If the Cruise Control worked on ANY of the E30's I've ever owned, I'd probably shiate myself..

Hell, I'm just happy that the windows continue to roll up some days.

#30YearOldElectricsFTW
                                1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                                2016 Ford Flex
                                2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
                                X