Coast to Coast, an e30 American adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rainier View Post
    I have a spare original radio that you’re welcome to if you like. When I bought my vert if came with 2 spare radios and you’re goin g to need music on the road. Let me know if your interested, if so send me a PM and I can send it whenever you need in the states.

We can’t have you traveling around our beautiful country without tunes!
    Honestly thank you so much for sending the stereo over, my buddy received it today!! its crazy clean and I can not thank you enough for it.

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr

Originally posted by 20w506cyl View Post
    Sure thing, be glad to help. Just give me a few days notice when you when you think you will be in the area. I'll try and follow your progress as well.
    Originally posted by alkkamai View Post
    More specifically, my offer of anything includes use of a lift and an extensive, albeit disorganized, box of tools. I'll follow along with your progress and try to keep a lift free ;)

Or just if you want to lighten your load (the cassette holder)
    Thanks guys!! I think I will need to hit you guys up when I get over to the East coast as I feel the car will probably be needing looked at by the time we get there.

---------------------------------------------

Getting crazy excited and nervous now, we fly out on Wednesday 5th, only a few more days left in the UK!!

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

[QUOTE=benwalsh91;4919065]Honestly thank you so much for sending the stereo over, my buddy received it today!! its crazy clean and I can not thank you enough for it.

Thanks guys!! I think I will need to hit you guys up when I get over to the East coast as I feel the car will probably be needing looked at by the time we get there.

---------------------------------------------

Getting crazy excited and nervous now, we fly out on Wednesday 5th, only a few more days left in the UK!![/QUOTE

Are you going to update your travels? Be cool to see where you have been. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post

If you need any cassette tapes made just send me a playlist and I'll see what I can do.
        sigpic

Comment

Glad your friend got the radio in one piece. Hopefully you have the wiring needed behind the panel. If not sell it and get a radio that works, or a Bluetooth speaker to connect to your phone. Now in fairness it’s going to take a couple of times to enter the code due to the sticky 5 button. But once it takes your set! Can’t wait to see the trip reports posted, have fun.

Comment

Stop in Salida between Colorado Springs and Montrose- I'll buy you a beer and offer any tools you might need around the midpoint of your trip. Safe travels!

325iX Turdbo Rally/Hillclimb/Beater

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
              If you need any cassette tapes made just send me a playlist and I'll see what I can do.
              How much you charging for a mixtape these days?
              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Sounds like and awesome trip. I would suggest heading into the Asheville, NC area and picking up the Blue Ridge Parkway. Its a much slower ride, but beautiful scenery. I live less than 20 mile off the parkway.
                sigpic
                2006 330i 6 Spd Man, ZSP, CA, SG, Black ette, Burl, Sat Prep.
                ED 29 May 2006
                1990 325i, 5spd, Calypso Red, Tan

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                  How much you charging for a mixtape these days?
                  Haha. I bought a tape recorder with an audio input to record music off my IPhone. I had made a few cassette tapes for myself since I wasnt going to remove the stock head unit. However, I upgraded it to Bluetooth so I had to remove cassette mechanism from the radio :( I have a few left over cassettes and am willing to make cassettes for anyone with an OEM tape deck. For free, just cover shipping I guess.
                  sigpic

Comment

I am getting super excited, also looking forward to seeing that Datsun of yours.
                    When are you going to be in Los Angeles? My new place is near Randys Donuts, we can have an impromptu GTG there for you. Im sure I can round up a few others
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Land in Oakland (San Francisco) on 05th September.
                      Fly home from New York 04 December.
                      Any Updates?
                      1990 325i
                      2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                        Haha. I bought a tape recorder with an audio input to record music off my IPhone. I had made a few cassette tapes for myself since I wasnt going to remove the stock head unit. However, I upgraded it to Bluetooth so I had to remove cassette mechanism from the radio :( I have a few left over cassettes and am willing to make cassettes for anyone with an OEM tape deck. For free, just cover shipping I guess.
                        Haha hell yeah I am down for that! I haven’t had time
                        To fit the tape deck yet but the centre console of the car has the 6 cassette holder box piece whatever you want to call it. Accidentally leant on it the other day whilst sorting bits out in the car and turns out there are tapes in them!!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        When are you going to be in Los Angeles? My new place is near Randys Donuts, we can have an impromptu GTG there for you. Im sure I can round up a few others
                        I am 100% down for a LA gtg for sure!! I have a few things on in the evening when in LA with friends but I got a couple free dates I believe. I will have to double check but how does Friday 21st sound?

Originally posted by IceWhite View Post
                        Any Updates?
                        Yes sir. Just been manic busy!!

Wednesday 05 September

SO here it goes!! The adventure begins, first things first is drop off the luggage of which we was about 10kg over our limit and they charge us 9GBP per kilo over which sucked!!

Right, thats done with. Bags dropped off, through security then we get food, our last british meal, options where very slim at the airport though.

Goodbye miserable England.

Our flight from England to Oakland was delayed by 2 hours which was really shitty! It was delayed because 3 people went through security and didn’t make it to the plane on time. This royally fucks me off I feel that if you can’t get to the plane on time then you should miss it!! Assholes.

But because of this we got to Oakland late. We landed just after a couple of other long haul flights and it just bottlenecked up the airport which meant getting through security took ages and so did getting our luggage. When we did eventually get out of the airport we then hit all the traffic getting back to my friends place. At this point we had no time to work on the car, we went and grabbed food, only one place for it when in Cali so we went In’ N Out then went to bed after being up for around 28 hours straight.

Thursday 06 September

So the first day we stayed in Vacaville which is where my buddy lives who has been helping me out with the e30, for those who don’t know Vacaville is situated between San Francisco and Sacramento. We spent the morning doing bits to the e30 tidying it up, fitted the front valance done some bits to the interior and also the front turn signals was not working managers to figure them out and got them to work but the headlights still don’t work. They only work when I have the high beams on and then all 4 lights are on. Sucks for everyone else around me but I can see st night. This is super not ideal, when I get to LA I have a friend who is going to check this out for me.

After we done all this it was then time to sort my insurance and get the car registered. THANKFULLY I am a member of AAA and they had an office in town which made this a breeze. In the office for about 45 minutes insurance done and the car is registered.

Rest of the day was spent just chilling with my friend Steve and his girlfriend. Steve had helped me out massively with getting the e30 for me, storing it and sorting multiple stuff out for me. I honestly could not have done this without him. This is what always impresses me with the internet and being car enthusiasts it doesn’t matter if you hadn’t ever met before and live half way across the world it’s so easy to form great friends over one mutual interest and I can not say I know of any other hobby that greatly brings people together like this one. I am sure every true car enthusiast has life long friends and stories about people they have met along the way through just a mutual interest in cars. Without friends like that platforms like this wouldn’t be as popular and helpful.

After we sorted the car at AAA we went for a walk around the outlets of course got some Vans shoes for the trip, Krispy Kreme for donut and coffee, when in America do stereotypical American things. We then finally went to some amazing smoke house in Sacramento for dinner called the Tank House. And drove through old sac, unfortunately didn’t have time to get out and explore or get to many photos as it had been crazy busy day and I didn’t want to be out taking loads of photos when I was chilling with my friend who had helped us out massively so left the camera in the car and my phone in the pocket and just appreciated the day without technology. Was refreshing for sure!!

Today we are off to San Francisco!!!! If anyone has any tips or anything I should see whilst in San Fran or just south of San Fran let me know!!

Peace out.
                        Last edited by benwalsh91; 09-09-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Welcome to CA!

Hard to tell from your route map...check out Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Carmel if you aren't. Also, when heading down to LA don't take I5, take either 101 or Highway 1 all the way down the coast. I5 is boring as shit, the other two are wayyy more fun.

If you take 101 stop at Firestone Brewing just south of Paso Robles- great beer and restaurant.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

...and it begins!....

welcome to California! Sucks about the headlights, it sounds like a relay is messed up or something, but Im no electrical expert.

Definitely enjoy the time and not staring at your phone or taking a million pics of stuff but definitely want to take a few to remember the moments.

Flickr is great for uploading pics FROM your phone, but is terrible for sharing pics and you'll have to do that on the laptop as you mentioned.

Have a safe trip, I will see you in 2 weeks
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                              Welcome to CA!

Hard to tell from your route map...check out Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Carmel if you aren't. Also, when heading down to LA don't take I5, take either 101 or Highway 1 all the way down the coast. I5 is boring as shit, the other two are wayyy more fun.

If you take 101 stop at Firestone Brewing just south of Paso Robles- great beer and restaurant.
                              Hell yeah man we went to Santa Cruz it was super nice and chilled! really enjoyed ourselves.

Monterey is coming up in about 3 days and driving all the way down the PCH

The plan is to try and avoid as many interstates as we can and stick to the backroads, obviously this is time dependent.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              ...and it begins!....

welcome to California! Sucks about the headlights, it sounds like a relay is messed up or something, but Im no electrical expert.

Definitely enjoy the time and not staring at your phone or taking a million pics of stuff but definitely want to take a few to remember the moments.

Flickr is great for uploading pics FROM your phone, but is terrible for sharing pics and you'll have to do that on the laptop as you mentioned.

Have a safe trip, I will see you in 2 weeks
                              See you in a few weeks man, we will get a date sorted for a meet!! i have updated my above post with photos and now to go through the rest of them to catch up from the past few days.

Comment

Friday 07 September

Now, how to start a day in America... with Pancakes of course, and now that we are fuelled up we can start our journey.

The original plan for this day was to go to San Francisco, we are currently staying in Los Banos, We decided to take the scenic route up the coast via Santa Cruz, we got to Santa Cruz and decided we would just chill out take the day as it comes up enjoy the beach and the coastal roads.

This stuff is amazing!!!

We went along the pier and i didn't take as many photos as i should have done but oh well.

Also i am really trying to figure out and get used to taking photos with the sun in it!! we don't get much of the sun in England so the photos may not be as good as they should be but i am practicing.

After exploring Santa Cruz and not taking enough photos we drove up the coast to check out the spots.

Found this cool little light house, tried to get a photo with the shit box

The car is creating some weird weird noises coming from the back. Something is definitely loose back there but i do not have any tools on my currently, In a few days i will be at a friends place who has a lift and is good with e30's so we shall be having a good look over the car.

The Power Steering was empty of fluid so more than likely has a leak somewhere, it was making some horrible noises, i have topped it up with fluid and has sorted the noise issues but will keep an eye on the levels to make sure these don't drop/have a leak.

The passenger side has a bronzit fender of which i have a pair at my buddies house so will be replacing both of them, also the side trim came off the door but its in the trunk i havn't totally lost it so will be fitting that when i get to his too, just need to go to BMW to get the clips to attach it back properly.

Also spotted this cool ass Corvair.

Also came out to this.... contraption whilst we was in Walmart.

Last edited by benwalsh91; 09-09-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X