Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrAdam View Post
    Would probably never buy it. But I do like the effort. Mid Engine correct?
    Yup, mid engine.

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    I’ve heard the engine is so low that the valve covers are below the tops of the wheels, not tires, but wheels. That’s pretty cool.

That being said, I don’t really understand why they kept it a Corvette. Seems like it should be a new model but [emoji2369]
    In the presentation they explained that a mid engine Corvette was always the goal.

Comment

I think agree it will sell extremely well. The best part is there not going to do some BS limitation on the production. As-long as there in business they'll sell you one for MSRP.

I dont think its fair to compare it to a mid 2000's Ferrari etc. Those cars have crappy gearboxes and are still going for super expensive because the brand name. the C8 is faster.

The C8 is going to be a car you can drive, I think its the most radical design change for corvette, and its going in the right direction. For the C4-C7's the aftermarket sold kits to "update" them to the next gen look. They cant do that with this car.
      91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

I dig it. I think the front end is still very recognizable as a corvette. The interior isn't my favorite but I think it fits the car well. 495HP seems low in comparison but is PLENTY for what most Corvette owners need. My GF's Mom has a current Z06 with 650hp, I got a chance to take it for a rip it was seriously ridiculous. All they do is drive to the golf course too.
        91 318is M50 swapped
        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

495hp is the base engine.

Hipo versions to follow.
          1991 318iC
          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

I like it. But I am definitely a GM fan. I don't see 495 as being too low though. GM always releases the base model first and then kicks out the higher end version like Z06, ZR1 with more options and for more money. I expected it to be much more expensive out of the gate. Defintely a 100k car. I'm never going to buy one though, out of my price range.
            84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
            Manual swap all the things!

Comment

thoughts on the cockpit?
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                Right?

The original Vette had the best technology in the world at the time (fuel injection, composite chassis, I could go on). The new one just copies what the Germans and Italians were doing 30 years ago. Yay?
                The original Vette had a inline 6, solid rear axle, and a powerglide 2 speed. Even the first V8 vette only had fuel injection as an option.
                I don't think the vette was ever cutting edge, it could just do what the Germans and Italians were doing for a fraction of the cost.
                I wasn't at all excited about this, until i found out they plan to sell for around 60k. That means in a few year i could actually afford a used one.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  thoughts on the cockpit?
                  It's a step up form the C7, but still has cues from the previous models. It looks simple and fairly driver centric, the screen points at driver etc.

there's a driver position image on C8's launch page, that hood really drops away.

The digital rear view mirror is has its upsides and downsides.
                  91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                  Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                  E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                  "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

I honestly think Chevy hit the nail on the head with this car. I think we live in an age where people think they are cool for being negative critics. Or it shows how sophisticated their tastes are.

I think everyone is missing what this has done... It is the base model, has 500hp, perfect weight bias, and does 0-60 in less than 3 secs. And... its less than 60k and won't be some rare vehicle like the supra whose performance falls far behind the base of this car(which I like the supra too). I think Chevy just made everyone else work harder.

Also, everyone forgets that a mid engine car has to look a certain way to fit the mechanical bits in. So yes, it will have styling cues from other mid-engine rwd cars. I like that chevy didn't do a small displacement FI engine like everyone else. They stuck with the bulletproof(mostly) SBC. I am a person that enjoys details in a cars subtleties. It shows someone took care in building the car. I really like how they focused on making the engine bay clean without vanity covers.

I really like the car and might get rid of a few things to get one eventually(not my E30). I am really excited to see the possible FI flat plane quad cam V8. I think there is some type of battle going on with cadillac and the black wing or whatever it is. Anyways, hats off to chevy. Maybe this car will retain some driving character unlike many current cars.

Comment

These days, the mechanicals of cars are all basically the same. Everyone can build an engine with a lot of power, use a Bosch traction control computer, and get around 3 seconds 0-60.

Looks are the thing that mostly separates cars these days, and I think Chevy failed hard. The headlights are on top of the fenders like a Nissan Juke, the fenders are too high above the fender openings, and the rear end looks like they started with a truck bed.

And whats up with the 3 foot row of buttons up the center console?
                      Last edited by E30SPDFRK; 07-19-2019, 11:17 AM.
                      Byron
                      Leichtbau

Comment

at that price point are they aiming for spec racing or maybe bridging the gap between high budget GT series and the rest of us plebs without factory support?
                        cars beep boop

Comment

I am not the new Corvette target market type at all, but I like keeping up with the design and engineering of this thing, and I remember all those mid-engine Corvette concept cars in Road & Track growing up. Hard to believe they’re finally doing it.

So I’ll say I’m pleasantly surprised by this thing un-camouflaged. Certainly pointy and angular, as is the fashion right now. Everything must look angry! It’s very aggressive, but in a good way. A lot of angles and grooves along the flank, maybe overdone. Like climbing a ladder.

It has very standard mid-engine proportions, sort of NSX-like, but overall decent proportions from the side. It doesn’t look huge. Claimed 3350 lbs, which is decent these days. You don't need ridiculous power with less weight.

All through the mule phase I was hoping it had elongated rear quarter windows to soften up that door / roof shape, and there they are. (Might be fake but they’re there) The Alfa 4C needed this detail.

You can see the engine through the rear hatch ala Audi R8, very nice.

I like how the roof buttresses land on the rear deck - that’s a design carryover from earlier cars. Top edge of the rear window is a bit busy to me - too B2 bomber. Could have been a clean line.

They really had to give the nose the familial Corvette look, so I can't criticize that. Vents aren’t overly large like many current cars with this kind of power. Side vents take up some of that cooling slack. They obviously must have tested the shit out of the cooling after the earlier overheating issues.

Side vents are very pointy, oh well. A bit of a Zagato center groove in the roof, I like it. Camaro-esque taillights - not really a fan. Look at how cool a modern Enzo or 458 is with small round tailights (maybe they don’t want to be accused of mimicking those). But if you’re going to hang onto “heritage,” that’s an easy way to do it.

Can’t we have round tailpipes Chevrolet…please?

Interior is a crazy supercar cocoon! Not sure about that yet - but it looks cozy! I think the first gen Cayman has one of the best modern era driving positions and functional cockpits out there.

Very much like to see one of these in a dark color.

So, I read:

6.2 liter LT2, 495 hp / 470 lb-ft, 11.5:1 compression (!) NA.
                          Tremec 8 speed dual clutch - a rocket ship with highway cruising gears.

All this……and it will start at under 60k…..? REALLY?! That will shake up the market. Compare that to Cayman prices. How are they doing that? Maybe the base model is a loss leader to jumpstart sales? I suppose there’s still the gold chain Corvette baggage however. I don’t see it cutting into 911 sales at all…but everything else?

Unlike a lot of extreme cars, a Corvette will sit idling at a stoplight with the A/C running. All in all a very impressive effort for a corporate behemoth.

Imagine the upcoming C8.R Le Mans car. Yellow. Loud.
                          Last edited by LateFan; 07-19-2019, 12:59 PM.

Comment

The new Corvette will not be available with a manual transmission, only an eight-speed automatic. ... The base version of the 2020 Corvette Stingray will have a 495-horsepower 6.2-liter V8 engine. It will also have an eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters

i lifted this from the internet... bye bye manuals? sad.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            '90 325i sedan daily driven
                            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

A thing I just read said that at this level of 0-60 in three seconds, you're bouncing off the rev limiter and way too slow with a manual. I'm with you, a diehard manual guy, but I can see the technical reasons behind this choice, in a lot of cars like this.

Also, some engineering design behind this car....
                              We caught up with Josh Holder, the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8’s Program Engineering Manager, at the car’s launch party last night to ask the questions a lot of you have had: why did Chevy move the engine behind the driver, and what made engineers finally swap the car’s signature rear leaf springs for coilover…

Comment

Apparently the configurator is already up, then promptly crashed....

Click image for larger version

Name:	xsp5ybx32l9uhgwbh6zi.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	7201908

A commenter says:

"All I did was click the button for “6-speed Manual”, why’s it so mad?"

But then.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	fpbt0xrk03py8dyjmfol.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	7201909

Comment

Working...
                                X