Best/Coolest car for $6-7k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best/Coolest car for $6-7k

I'm looking for a DD that I can keep for a while. I want something reliable with half-decent gas milage, and something that's not going to nickle and dime me to death. NO suvs.

Any thoughts?

mid 90s ES300?
    96-97 A4 (poss 96 FWD)?
    Last edited by KenC; 10-12-2006, 08:12 PM.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

The Lexus ES300 is a nice car for that money. And you probably won't ever have any problem with it.

Have you thought about an early '90s MB 300E/E320? If they're well taken care of, they'll be one of the best cars you'll ever own. The one rule is there is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes; buy the nicest one you can afford, and it'll be good to you. If you want more info about them, shoot me a PM--I did a lot of research about them when I was looking to trade in my E30.

If you want to stay away from German cars, obviously Lexus and any of the Toyota/Hondas are good cars.
    1988 325ic Automatic

Comment

The early 90s MBs just look too old... that's my only beef. They feel like you're in an early 80s car.

Comment

Saturn

My older brother found a LS200 for about $6000. He likes it. He's had it for about a year and no problems. I drove it and was pretty nice and solid and decent power for a four cylinder.

Comment

I'd stay away from any Audi's if you're looking for something that won't nickel and dime you to death.

If you want reliability, buy the newest/lowest mileage Civic you can find.

Comment

Maybe a Volvo turbo, or you might be able to even find a 96+ MB E320 for around that if you look hard enough.
            01 325Ci
            87 325iS w/ M30B35 swap

Comment

You are pretty close to late e36/e46 range there (99s can be had for under 8k, 97 328is around 7k)
              I shopped around for over a month and just gave up on anything non BMW and bought myself an e46 (that i thoroughly love)

good luck
              Julien
              Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

e39s are coming into that range too.

julien, your avatar is wierd as shit. wtf is up with it?
                --Will

Comment

Originally posted by Bill 84 318i View Post
                  I'd stay away from any Audi's if you're looking for something that won't nickel and dime you to death.

If you want reliability, buy the newest/lowest mileage Civic you can find.
                  I was thinking about a civic/accord/camry, but I'd like something at least moderately cool.

Comment

How is the 99 323i?

Comment

Something like a honda or hyundai would be the most economic route. Since they're cheaper cars to begin with, you're going to be able to get one with lower miles for 6-7k when compared to a european car.

You could also consider buying 6 lincoln towncars or crown vics for 1000 dollars each. Hell, you might even find one that used to be a patrol vehicle with the spotlight attached.

Comment

Like any other car/BMW. 1st year -possibly problematic. Sport package is a must but of course watch for subframe issues. I'm pretty sure decent ones haven't made it into the 6-7k range yet though.
                        - skipping the E36 generation completely -

Originally posted by Stephen
                        Alot of newer cars do nothing for me

Comment

Subaru!!! well built, kinda sporty, economical, AWD, many with manual trannies
                          sigpic
                          1991 Diamantschwarz 318is
                          1998 Cosmosschwarz M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by craig4ie View Post
                            Subaru!!! well built, kinda sporty, economical, AWD, many with manual trannies
                            which models? all i see are outbacks and im not too keen on a wagon

Comment

e36
                              Originally posted by blunt
                              can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Working...
                              X