Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for those that have dealt with insurance claims..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for those that have dealt with insurance claims..

what did you do about "aftermarket" parts? specifically, things like smoked lights and euro grilles, lip spoilers, etc. I know ryan had to replace a set of smoked hellas. did your body shop deal with that or did you find them yourself?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

*crickets chirping*

anyone?

:?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Your insurance company should cover these things as well. They just need to know the list of items you have. If you don't let them know what they are you will get the shaft. Obviously they might increase the rate a bit as well.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

usually the body shop will want to charge you some crazy crazy price for anything they have to source. It has gone like this with my friends and family in the past when filing a claim.

get body shop estimate.

replace any hard to find parts on your own with the cash you get.

go to body shop for body work, not to have them find parts.

good luck getting extra $$ for replacement parts, it can be tough if you haven't already told them they are on the car. The good part is that they will go by MSRP for a new OEM part. I got $400 once for some crappy stock jeep rim that got banged in a wreck, and they prorated 2 cut tires so i got $250 back for those...took the $650 they gave me and put it towards a set of nice 18" wheels.

Comment

Maybe it's too late for what I said earlier....
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by ptownTSI View Post
            good luck getting extra $$ for replacement parts, it can be tough if you haven't already told them they are on the car. The good part is that they will go by MSRP for a new OEM part. I got $400 once for some crappy stock jeep rim that got banged in a wreck, and they prorated 2 cut tires so i got $250 back for those...took the $650 they gave me and put it towards a set of nice 18" wheels.
            that's what I'm thinking, even the cost for new crappy sealed beam buckets is atrocious. I'm taking my car to a guy who works mostly on classics, so hopefully it won't be too big of a deal.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

the insurance company will also offer you LKQ (like kind and quality) aka used, as an alternative to new after market. since you drive an "old" car youare unfortunately at the mercy of the insurance company unless you go through your own and have a good policy with "full coverage" and possabily a predetermined value on the car. we don't like to put crappy aftermarket parts on your car, it costs us time, because they don't fit and we have to take time to mod it to make it fit right, and will break/rattle makeing the customer come back so you can do the job twice. any more questions about dealing with insurance companys in an accident??? ask away......
              greg
              opps check edit, but crappy used parts too, if either one doesn't work well we don't want to deal with it.
              Last edited by der affe; 12-22-2006, 06:40 PM.
              seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Comment

I would most definately stay far far away from aftermarket parts. I would get used parts over new aftermarket stuff. I work at a body shop. Get quote on all the parts new and used. Get the insurance adjuster to write a check to you for the amount agreed upon and you source the rare parts etc and then you have them deal with everything else. I don't know what I would do if my e30s got wrecked...plastic bumper conversion, euro bumpers come to mind.. I could talk to you more about this tomorow if we meet up and I get that rear valance from ya. Also what I mean by aftermarket is non OEM parts (aftermarket stock parts)
                :: PNW Crew ::
                '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Well this past summer the front end of my car got backed into, when I took it into get an estimate I mentioned it had euro headlights, grills, wipers, etc... Problem is there computer systems don't have the euro items, so they were only able to give estimates for the stock items. So I called the dealership and got a print out of what the stuff would cost threw them, and gave it to the party that hit my car. We settled without going threw insurance and I got $1500 cash. But in reality your best bet is to get fixed value insurance for your car if you have a ton of mods.
                  85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

AAA told me to bring the car to one of their locations so they could take an inventory of what aftermarket parts were on the car. They refer to this list when underwriting the policy/issuing checks. I haven't done so as yet, but prolly should in the near future so that in the event the car gets totaled, I get what I paid for the car vs. a check for $2K. Of course this will increase the rate, so a crunch some numbers and make err on the side of prudence.
                    I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

you can just have your car appraised, and then the insurance company will go by that in an accident.

my uncles chevelle for example got appraised for 12k. to an insurance company a 1970 chevelle, original paint, no rust, no peeling, 3rd motor, 340k miles on the body, and clean interior is just some old car to them. maybe he'd get 2000 from em'. So he had it appraised and I guess now they are supposed to pay him what its worth in a wreck.

Comment

it's going to be appraised. I'll be sure to be there so I can talk to the appraiser about it - my insurance company seems to be reasonable so I'm hoping it won't be a big hassle. my timing's not so great though, the body shop I want to take my car to is closed for the holidays so I have to wait until next week or later for an appraisal and estimate.. I can live without my car for a while but I don't really want to. :(
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Was the accident your fault?? If so and you didn't list it under your insurance, then- What everyone else said.

If someone hit you, their insurance will pay for all the parts you have. You just have to let the insurance company's Adjuster know. Some one hit me and I have an '88 with upgraded plastic bumbers and Euro plat filler. Their insurance paid for everything.

e30 325is - e30 M3 [FOR SALE] - Audi S4 - '78 F-250 .....clicky clicky

Comment

Working...
                          X