e30 vs e36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 vs e36

besides the obvious coolness of the e30, why do you guys prefer the e30 to the e36? Does the e36 have more problems? could you guys give an unbiased positives and negatives of both?

thanks
    1985 325e
    mods:
    Powerflex CABs
    MOMO Corse Exhaust
    euro bumpers with BBS front spoiler
    e36 m3 shifter
    uuc clutch stop

the e36 has better susp but its heavier
    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I like the style of the e30 better, I like the interiors better and the overall simpleness and cost (buying car and maintnance costs). Not saying a e36 isn't reliable, but i see less of them living much past 200k miles.
      :: PNW Crew ::
      '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

uhh... price. Not many people on here can even afford their e30.

I choose it over an e36 because it's smaller and more fun to toss around. I like the looks, and in my area there isn't too many, especially modified. I also enjoy the challenge it provides driving on the limit.

Real BMW's have round headlights

(OO==[][]==OO)
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          Real BMW's have round headlights

(OO==[][]==OO)
          Somewhere around the world, an e21 owner is smiling because of that generalization.
          Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
          EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
          FullOpp Stickers for sale!
          NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
          Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
          ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
            Somewhere around the world, an e21 owner is smiling because of that generalization.
            ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I have an '89 325is, my brother has a '94 325is. It is obvious in many ways that his car is superior in most respects. His car is almost completely stock, except for koni yellows set on full soft. I don't drive his car much, but when he has driven mine, he seems pretty suprised by the grip and poise the car exhibits (due to his low expectations, probably). The e36 chassis is way stiffer, and STICKS to the road, no question.

My e30, however, has been FAR more reliable. His interior has completely come apart. Headliner, door panels, seat problems, etc. Mechanically, his engine has been pretty tough, but recently the VANOS has gone nuts and it drives like shit and knocks. His transmission went bad at about 150k and it had to be rebuilt ot the tune of about 1500bucks.

They say the later OBDII 328s and M3s have improved quality and more robust engine/transmissions, but i have no experience there.
              --Will

Comment

Overall, the 30 feels like it is a better built and more fun to drive car than the 36. Also I feel like that they cut corner on every aspect of the 36. Its like when you bought a BMW in the 80's, whether you bought a 3,5,6 or 7 series it was still characteristically a BMW. The 36 seems like an imitation and a watered down version of its bigger brothers.

Comment

whats wrong with e21s?
                  --Will

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
                    whats wrong with e21s?
                    Every car manufacturer has one chassis that they're not very proud of, for BMW it's the E21.

E36's are far stiffer than E30's, have a longer wheelbase, much improved rear suspension design, and it simply makes for a 'faster' chassis. The twin-vam 24v engines are much more advanced as well.

I grew up around E30's and prefer the raw driving style of them. Plus, with a powerful motor from an E36 and the antiquated E30 rear suspension--it makes for a hell of a lot of fun to drive!

Comment

e21's? They weight as much as an e30, have even more of a "jelly" unibody, have an inferior rear suspension, and don't come with a good motor. However, if you enjoy driving an e30 at the limit because it's fun (not the fastest, but FUN), then you'll love the e21.

Comment

I don't have an unbiased opinion on much of anything. If I did it would probably be coincidence.
                        That said, I just like E30, especially the 318is.

Comment

I own one of both.... :hitler:

I drive my E30 every day because it is more fun even though my E36 has close to 400hp over my E30! That means a lot to me, what I enjoy driving.

Comment

Originally posted by sethla View Post
                            I own one of both.... :hitler:

I drive my E30 every day because it is more fun even though my E36 has close to 400hp over my E30! That means a lot to me, what I enjoy driving.

Uhhh... you have a 500hp+ e36?

Comment

Also keep in mind that muffler bearings are consideribly cheaper for the E30 than the 36. A set of muffler bearings for the E30 will run you about $575 compared to the E36 where it will cost well over $1400.

Comment

Working...
                              X