No announcement yet.

Anyone running these rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilled rotors: good for the 'racer look' on the street and perhaps the occassional day at the track or auto-x.

Standard/grooved rotors: much better for track & auto-x due to reduced tendency of cracks developing.

Its your money and you know how you plan to flog your car, pick the discs that will best serve your needs. Personally, I've seen many examples of drilled rotors cracking around the holes after a few track days so I stick with slotted style - cryo-treated PowerSlots specifically.

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

do a search on the TMS kit...there was a guy who had them, dont remeber who

I just got the ATE tms kit. Personally...I would just stay away. They're more expensive, there is no real benefit and there is a possibility that they will crack on you

Stick with the stock or go MBK
      www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
        Drilled rotors: good for the 'racer look' on the street and perhaps the occassional day at the track or auto-x.

Standard/grooved rotors: much better for track & auto-x due to reduced tendency of cracks developing.

Its your money and you know how you plan to flog your car, pick the discs that will best serve your needs. Personally, I've seen many examples of drilled rotors cracking around the holes after a few track days so I stick with slotted style - cryo-treated PowerSlots specifically.

Jon
        I've heard about this style cracking also. I don't race my car,yet, and if I do it will be like twice a year. I just want to upgrade to a good big brake set up for functionality not looks.
        sigpic

Comment

Just get ATE PremiumOne rotors http://flyingbrickperformance.com/ca...products_id=46

edit: just get it from tirerack for a few bucks more http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S
          Last edited by 92 mtechnic cabrio; 08-25-2007, 12:57 PM.
          R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Monty, I have those rotors on my car. The PO installed them.

they are the worst pile of shit I have ever used. Absolute junk, IMO.

Waiting on a BBK, hopefully 300mm.de, maybe Massive, but I am not certain.

Luke

Closing SOON!
            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'm currently running Powerslots in the front, haven't had any issues so far. They work great.

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Monty, I have those rotors on my car. The PO installed them.they are the worst pile of shit I have ever used. Absolute junk, IMO. Waiting on a BBK, hopefully 300mm.de, maybe Massive, but I am not certain.
                Luke
                Well that settles that. I have aslo been researching the Massive kit, leaning towards them.
                sigpic

Comment

drilled rotors suck, real race cars don't run them for a reason.

Stick with the slotted rotors.

Comment

slotted are the way to go for performance. The slots "slice" the pads to help stop the car faster. But slotted rotors will eat pads much faster than a blank rotor.
                    ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by asubimmer View Post
                      slotted are the way to go for performance. The slots "slice" the pads to help stop the car faster. But slotted rotors will eat pads much faster than a blank rotor.
                      you sure about that?

The slots don't slice the pad, they are (supposedly) there to help the gasses escape that are generated when the pads heat up. You might notice a *little* more pad wear with slotted rotors- but probably not, and I don't think you can say they slice the pad....

FWIW, just stick with stock rotors- there's alot more to be gained by using more aggressive brake pad compounds than anything until you get REALLY good on track and your car becomes a full blown race car (NOT an occasional DE car or a "track" car)........

Bret.

Comment

I went through 2 sets of cross drilled Zimmermans when I had my e36
                        and was into that sort of thing On a street car they're purely aesthetic and serve no purpose other than looks.

Both sets warped on me. Oem blanks are fine, they're cheaper and have less of a chance of warping or vibrating.

Comment

I'm sure bret ;)
                          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Bret's post is correct

Comment

yes they do let gases out, same as drilled rotors. But why do you think that the slotted ones stop better even though they can't get rid of the gas as quick?

Comment

Working...
                              X