guys with modified suspensions, do you run strut bars too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

guys with modified suspensions, do you run strut bars too

yes as question states, do you guys run strutbars too, I found a few ebay pieces, and I have no idea how good they are

they are pretty heavy, in my 240sx I felt a difference in cornering when I put front and rear strut bars

do you guys recommend putting them on the E30

Jani

Doesn't hurt. These cars are getting to be nearly 20 years old. On R compounds in an aggressive driving situation such as an auto-x, you can feel it. On the street, I wouldn't imagine as much.

-Charlie
    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
    FYYFF

Comment

not yet
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Got the Sparco bar on mine. It's pretty cheap and solid. No adjustable links in it.
        sigpic

Comment

even on the street, I noticed a difference with my sparco bar. It definitely got rid of some squeaks that i used to hear going over bumps and on rough pavement. Performance wise, I can't really say, its been too long to really remember the difference in feel.
          --Will

Comment

I've got a front Sparco bar (steel) and rear Racing Dynamics bar (aluminum) in my E30 track car. I've got a pretty typical suspension setup: TMS J-Stock springs, Bilstein Sport dampers, I.E. sways, K-Mac front camber/caster plates, and urethane RSM's.

Honestly, I didn't notice any real difference with the bars on the street. On the track with R-comps there's a slight improvement in turn-in with the front bar...but that might be placebo effect. Anyway, it's hardly a night-and day difference. But I figure our McPherson strut front suspensions can use all the help they can get! As for the rear bar, it's basically worthless.

Keep in mind that I've had my E30 since new and it's: (a) never been in a significant accident and (b) there isn't a spot of rust on it anywhere. You might see a bigger difference on a car with a more "tired" chassis.

BTW, the Sparco front bar is supposed to be one of the stiffest, strongest, and least prone to deflection. Even still, you hardly notice the difference. I notice lots of guys running hinged front bars, which would allow the bar to flex laterally. That COMPLETELY defeats the purpose of a front strut tower brace (or any chassis bracing for that matter). You're entering the territory of bling-bling at that point.

Emre
            sigpic
            1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
            2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

i run a sparco bar. kind of noticed a difference but it may have been just my imagination. There are other options out there now that are better than the sparco bar. I cant remember the name of the guy who made it but i think vlad has one.
              e30sport.net
              '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
              '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
              '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                I cant remember the name of the guy who made it but i think vlad has one.
                BudgetBeater? .........

jk

Comment

thanks guys, now I have to go and look for a sparco bar,

sparco.com maybe

Jani

Comment

Originally posted by BeirBrennerE30 View Post
                    There are other options out there now that are better than the sparco bar. I cant remember the name of the guy who made it ..
                    John Mason .
                    Mason Engineering , best bars out there .
                    My local Vorshlag guys sell them on their site now .

The simplicity of the Sparco and its knock-offs make it a strong second .

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

do they have a website bro

Comment

Heres vorshlag's site .

You might be better off with a Sparco or copy for your needs though .
                        They are significantly less than the Mason's ....might want to try IE for a knock-off .

Comment

Heres IE's site .

Comment

thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Teaguer View Post
                              John Mason .
                              Mason Engineering , best bars out there .
                              My local Vorshlag guys sell them on their site now .

The simplicity of the Sparco and its knock-offs make it a strong second .
                              you got it...
                              e30sport.net
                              '15 Porsche GT3 - 7-speed PDK - Daily Driver
                              '86 325es - s54b32tu - 6-speed - Mtech 1
                              '89 325is - m20b25 - 5-speed - Individual

Comment

Working...
                              X