X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio View Post
    I have stock exhaust manifold, stock cat, just no muffler

she gave me a 27156(b) - Air Pollution Control Device ticket
    I can't believe no one mentioned that so far. She obviously knows nothing about cars but unfortunately I don't think that's enough of an argument in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
      Ummmm..... NO. It's not JUST that easy to up and move because you don't like th fact that you can't pollute, nor own automatic assault weapons, large knives, strange/exotic animals, large quanities of explosives or fireworks in any/most of the state. Being as I'm biased as having lived in Southern California for my entire life save a few trips as far as New Mexico, and as of now I've come to know Southern California is the "Center of the Universe" and anywhere else I would move I would lose products/events/locations the "other 49" dream of moving/making it here, and I just AM here. So I'll take the BS to be in a great place.
      I don't think it is the center of the universe and I definitely do not DREAM of moving there. Fun to visit, couldn't deal with living.

Go fight the ticket. I wouldn't pay any type of fine. Ticket for something that you didn't do and didn't ticket for the other device. Don't say "I don't have a muffler". Say "I was ticketing for tampering with emissions, I have the OEM Exhaust Manifold as supplied when new, I have functioning o2 sensors and my catalytic convertor is in working order."

Comment

^+2....NEVER ADMIT anything
        1985 BMW 325e
        1997 BMW M3/4/5
        2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Exactly, they will happily drop the emissions and tag you with noise and no muffler if they know you will admit to and pay the fine. Realistically you shouldn't have had to pay anything. Go forth young one!

Comment

Originally posted by dinanm3atl View Post
            I don't think it is the center of the universe and I definitely do not DREAM of moving there. Fun to visit, couldn't deal with living.

Go fight the ticket. I wouldn't pay any type of fine. Ticket for something that you didn't do and didn't ticket for the other device. Don't say "I don't have a muffler". Say "I was ticketing for tampering with emissions, I have the OEM Exhaust Manifold as supplied when new, I have functioning o2 sensors and my catalytic convertor is in working order."
            Agreed! Although I was in the desert, not the coast - I still would never live there. It's fun to visit, but I'll pass on living there. I'd much prefer Boise over SoCal anyday, and I'd prefer Denver over Boise!

Hehehe. Hell I'd live in Minneapolis before anywhere in SoCal if THAT says anything.

Oh ya, hope you get your ticket worked out. :)
            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Exactly, they will happily drop the emissions and tag you with noise and no muffler if they know you will admit to and pay the fine. Realistically you shouldn't have had to pay anything. Go forth young one!
              honestly I wouldn't mind paying $10 for the muffler one if I knew for sure I wasn't going to be paying the thousands for the emissions one
              R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Originally posted by BBY1104 View Post
                I would take a lot of pictures and get some charts that show emissions and what the muffler actually does and explain the concept of the cat and what it does. I am guessing the Cop didnt know that much when she wrote you up. My dad has gotten 2 of those 1 for his bike and one for his truck.

Both were the same instance no mufflers and this is in washington. 1 ticket was for "modified" exhaust on his truck but there was no muffler and the other one on his bike was for "air pollution". He has a 1968 triumph i believe and does not have clearance for mufflers. He got both diffured and didnt get the tickets.

Another question, I am not sure how low the back is and how low the rear valance is but is there enough room for a descent muffler in the back, or do you just roll without it?
                There's plenty of room, even for an OEM muffler.

But I just choose to not have one

Comment

Good luck fighting the ticket.

Definitely don't want to live in CA though. Maybe someplace nearby so I could get in on all the e30 action and the low prices of e30 stuff, but too many laws and crap. I could drive aroud with open headers and half of my body parts missing and no one would stop me ;)

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

if a cop pulled me over for my car being to loud i would lol and drive away

probably not but if it were on the internet you better believe i would
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I've only been pulled over once for loud exhaust. The cop asked me if there was hole in my muffler. I just said no, i put a set of glass packs on it. He said ok, then went to his car and came back a few min.s latter and told me to have a nice day. I don't know if he could of gave me a fix it ticket or not since i didn't live in his state (Maryland)?

1992 BMW 325iC
                      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

yeah i think maryland has sound restrictions, at least when i lived up there i heard rumor of a stereo restriction something like if your music can be heard 15' away its too loud or something stupid
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

I agree
                          I have been to socal many times, whether skateboarding or working it was a fun place to live, but I could not live there. No one smokes in LA until I show up, then they all bum off me.
                          I lived in norcal and liked it, but the ATL is my "center of the universe".

Now SF, that is a totally different story. As a skateboarder and all around great guy, I envy those people.
                          Yours truly,
                          Rich
                          sigpic
                          Originally posted by Rigmaster
                          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

ATL in the house!

Comment

Do you choose not run a muffler because you keep knocking holes in them too, like your oil pans, which are a must have to drive the car ?

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                                Do you choose not run a muffler because you keep knocking holes in them too, like your oil pans, which are a must have to drive the car ?
                                Like I said, there is plenty of clearance for a muffler.

But overall excitement is a factor at amateur drift events and a loud exhaust helps with that. Eventually I will flange everything and have a muffler in place, but when there are free tires on the line, it's worth it.

And as a kid, you're not cool unless your car is as loud/flashy as your peers' ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X